Polar FT7- Sizing of Strap

Options
I need to purchase a replacement strap for my Polar FT7. I found it on Amazon for a reasonable prize, and it comes in a few sizes. I am debating whether or not I should get the M-XXL or XS-S. The original I had was the M-XXL and I feel like I had it as tight as it would go and it did fit but I had problems maintaining a heartrate signal (my reason for replacing the strap- batteries have already been replaced, so I'm troubleshooting). My lower chest measurement/rib cage is 31 inches. Can someone who either has a similar chest size and/or has purchased the XS-S tell me their thoughts? I wear a 34 bra and am typically medium, so small is not my normal size range but I know if the strap is even a little too loose it won't work. Thanks!!

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34 bra too and I got the m-xxl and find the fit is pretty good :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Go small. Mine is the FT4, but the strap is exactly the same (my sister has the same one as you do, and I've compared). Before my pregnancy (I'm 3 months postpartum), I had a very small ribcage, 34 band on my bra, and the one that came with my HRM would always loosen during workouts even though I had it as tight as possible.

Otherwise, have you washed it? One of my favorite Spinning instructors suggested soaking it in water with a little dishwasher detergent (not dish soap). I found that it works pretty well. You also need to make sure the strap is saturated underneath, not just wet, or it won't read as well.

But if you've done all of the above and still need a new strap, go small!

ETA that Amazon should do free returns, so long as you don't use it for a workout.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have one that has gotten stretched out a bit but I use a safety pin to help it stay snug...seems to work fine. I also use gel instead of just water, a tip I read online. That also seems to up the numbers a bit, keeps a better seal.
  • I have one that has gotten stretched out a bit but I use a safety pin to help it stay snug...seems to work fine. I also use gel instead of just water, a tip I read online. That also seems to up the numbers a bit, keeps a better seal.

I've heard of the gel! I'm gonna look into that...but yikes you're brave!! A safety pin? My luck would be I'd end up stabbing myself in the boob.
  • Go small. Mine is the FT4, but the strap is exactly the same (my sister has the same one as you do, and I've compared). Before my pregnancy (I'm 3 months postpartum), I had a very small ribcage, 34 band on my bra, and the one that came with my HRM would always loosen during workouts even though I had it as tight as possible.

Otherwise, have you washed it? One of my favorite Spinning instructors suggested soaking it in water with a little dishwasher detergent (not dish soap). I found that it works pretty well. You also need to make sure the strap is saturated underneath, not just wet, or it won't read as well.

But if you've done all of the above and still need a new strap, go small!

ETA that Amazon should do free returns, so long as you don't use it for a workout.

Thank you! Have you ever measured your ribcage, where the strap goes? I had the same experience with the M-XXL one. I didn't think I had a small ribcage, but maybe where the strap goes it is?

I did wash it in the washing machine and would rinse it periodically after use but to be honest since I've ruled out battery issues and there's no obvious damage to either device I think I ruined the strap by not taking the best care of it. It's the only explanation for why it quit working. What's happening is I start it up, get a strong heart rate, then it drops out after 90 seconds or so. I back out and end the workout, start over- same thing happens. I actually posted about this issue yesterday, if you can see my previous forums, but no one responded so I figured I'd just try replacing the strap. Thanks again!
  • I'm a 34 bra too and I got the m-xxl and find the fit is pretty good :)

Thank you!! Have you ever measured your ribcage where the strap goes? I know it theory we're 34 inches because that's the bra size, but I'm actually 31 inches (there's NO way I'm a 32 bra size though!!) Thanks!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Thank you!! Have you ever measured your ribcage where the strap goes? I know it theory we're 34 inches because that's the bra size, but I'm actually 31 inches (there's NO way I'm a 32 bra size though!!) Thanks!

Actually, 34 refers to the measurement ABOVE the boobs (under your armpits, crossing the point where the cup of the bra ends and the bra strap starts). That's where the discrepancy comes from. I'm a 34'' bra band (33'' in reality) and 30'' ribcage.

• Thank you!! Have you ever measured your ribcage where the strap goes? I know it theory we're 34 inches because that's the bra size, but I'm actually 31 inches (there's NO way I'm a 32 bra size though!!) Thanks!

Actually, 34 refers to the measurement ABOVE the boobs (under your armpits, crossing the point where the cup of the bra ends and the bra strap starts). That's where the discrepancy comes from. I'm a 34'' bra band (33'' in reality) and 30'' ribcage.

Interesting!! I did not know that, thank you! That makes sense then. Okay so any chance you have a Polar heart rate monitor :) and if so which size?? Thanks!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm also interested... Hopefully some other nice female users can help us...
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    LOL, I use a large safety pin on the side, just make a half inch tuck and it's fine.No pin pricks. : ) I can make mine bigger but have a hard time making it smaller. It doesn't work as well when it keeps slipping and it's distracting.

This is one of many places, sizes, etc.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electrode-Parker-Labs-250GM/dp/B0002CA8RQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Other tips I found for dropping heart rate, what you are wearing, The moisture wick shirts aren't as good as all cotton...sometimes if I"m home, I just wear a bra top style. The other was that the moisture was lacking and he said the gel was much better. I really like it, it's cheap and lasts a long time.