I'm stuck in a binge-restrict cycle

Options
I used to horrible restrict my calorie intake and I have started eating more and I'm stuck in a cycle of bingeing and restricting.
I know they aren't really bad binges they are like 2500 calories tops but that is big for me, so I freak out and restrict the next day or few days and it sucks. Anyway the days I binge I'm starving and can't stop eating and can't get full. It's horrible. Some one told me that it might stop if I get to a higher weight but I really just want to maintain the weigh I'm at. Has anyone else had experience with this or know how I can stop it. It is really messing with my emotions and my everyday life.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Stop doing it. There's no magic, either you want to stop it or you don't.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you can convince yourself to skip the next days restrictions you might find that you're not pushed to binge.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Don't call it binging and restricting - call it Intermittent Fasting and Refeeding and sell it as the latest in diet technology.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting does not include binging.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You must just be perfect if everything is this easy for you. DO you not have anyone you care about who has anxiety, compulsion, or impulse control issues?
  • MistleToeSter
    MistleToeSter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You didn't say if you are losing or not.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You must just be perfect if everything is this easy for you. DO you not have anyone you care about who has anxiety, compulsion, or impulse control issues?

good point...
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    Don't call it binging and restricting - call it Intermittent Fasting and Refeeding and sell it as the latest in diet technology.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    Read: IT STARTS WITH FOOD - it will change your life. The book explain in great detail what you're doing and why, helps you overcome as well. I had the same problem. Good luck to you.
  • escapeartist90210
    Options
    Just stop undereating and your body/mind won't push you to binge ever again. Do tdee - 20% and it'll work
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that sucks. I think the trick is not restricting. What if you gave yourself permission to eat anything you wanted whenever you wanted it? Do it for a few days. Just knowing that anything is available and nothing is off limits will go a long way to reducing the cravings.

Want chips? Eat some chips, no guilt. There is no need to eat the whole bag because you can have more whenever you want.

Try to keep to your calorie goal without restricting the type of food you choose, or, even better, try to eat simply to satisfy hunger and stop when you are full. You can do it!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I would then suggest they seek some professional counseling instead of asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum for advice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I can only suggest to up your daily intake. Maybe you just need an extra 100 calories a day, maybe for a treat or something, to keep you from feeling deprived and/or starving, so that you won't binge?

Take a step away, stop stressing so hard on a low calorie goal, relax and let the "hangry" go.
  • jenniferb_00
    Options
    Im stuck in that very same cycle right now. Unfortunately I have no advice. Ill do really well for a couple days and then ill eat my progress away. Its a horrible feeling and an easy way to lose motivation.
  • Brandonshields97
    Options
    I have the problem as you my dude ...... But the next day I just double my cardio
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict too much. I would suggest upping your calories for the meantime.
  • zebszee
    zebszee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find if i am missing some nutrient from my diet, my cravings increase. Taking multivitamins corrects the cravings/bingeing :smile:

42803599.png
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "brain over binge"

I was stuck in a binge-restrict cycle too and this book helped me a lot.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you can convince yourself to skip the next days restrictions you might find that you're not pushed to binge.

I agree that this is worth a shot. When you restrict yourself, the mental and physical response is to eat as much food as possible once you start allowing food again. Eat at your TDEE on a day where you'd normally restrict and see what happens after that.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html