Just got my blood work back.......andddd.....

Options
apparently on paper, I am healthy. Sadly it was not done on a fast, so it showed my sodium and sugars a tad high, but the doctor didnt want to wait. He really wanted to see the cholesterol anyway which was 170. HDLs were just slightly low, so more nuts I guess. LDL were good. I also seem to be Vitamin D deficient so onto a supplement I go since I sit in an office all day.

All in all, if you dont see me or see my weight, you would think I was healthy!

This is all to say, that since June all of my numbers have improved and things are working. Go see your doctors people and make sure things are going in the right direction.

Replies

• PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Will be doing my blood work within the month - thanks for the general reminder. It's not always what we can see that can get us!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Always good to know your life style changes are improving your life, even from the doctors perspective.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That's great news! It must be nice to see the numbers improving like that. Good work!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No I'm hiding from mine right now. I'll think about it after my next holiday.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Mine is done every 3 months.

**A1C (the 3 month average blood sugar) was 4.2 where I understand 7.1 - 8 to be Good or Normal yet I am diagnosed with diabetes which I believe with my current health issue of recovering from a huge, infected diabetic foot ulcer. NOT ON MEDICATION.
    **Cholesterol level was a 54.
    **After three months of two prescription supplements my Vitamin D was a 4 where it should be at least a 30.

Additionally, with the Hypertension (aka High Blood Pressure) diagnosis, my blood pressure was 101 / 54. NOT ON MEDICATION

All put together it is nothing but weird and confusing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! My doctor always gets huffy at me about how good my bloods are - I think she would rather something was bad so she could hassle me about my weight more.

I'm on vitamin d supplements too. stoopid office jobs!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Go you! :drinker:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    apparently on paper, I am healthy. Sadly it was not done on a fast, so it showed my sodium and sugars a tad high, but the doctor didnt want to wait. He really wanted to see the cholesterol anyway which was 170. HDLs were just slightly low, so more nuts I guess. LDL were good. I also seem to be Vitamin D deficient so onto a supplement I go since I sit in an office all day.

All in all, if you dont see me or see my weight, you would think I was healthy!

This is all to say, that since June all of my numbers have improved and things are working. Go see your doctors people and make sure things are going in the right direction.

Yeah true!! I went for a full checkup, and when i got back the report and found i am not diabetic or pre-diabetic when i had not yet begun a diet, and i was eating so much sweets and soda pop and i thought for sure i was going to be diabetic. Cholesterol was normal. I was shocked that i was not in worse shape.

I think it may be something in our genes or dna becuase some people jog and take care of themselves and get a heart attack, meanwhile someone like me eats unlimited crap and doesn't get sick.. sometimes things dont make sense at all.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.
  • Awesome for "being healthy on paper" Make sure if you take vitamin D you also take calcium because that is how it is absorbed. I am Vitamin D deficient and took very high doses for 5 months and nothing was happening then my doctor realized his nurse had forgotten to tell me to take calcium as well.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a wellness exam in a long time because my husband was laid off of work and we lost our health insurance. It was actually one (of many) reasons I decided to lose weight and get healthy because I (literally) couldn't afford to get sick. I am happy to report that my hubby has found work and come next month our insurance kicks in. I'm actually excited to go get a checkup to make sure everything is on the up and up. Hopefully losing those extra pounds I was carrying around will reflect positively when I get my blood work done.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    No I'm hiding from mine right now. I'll think about it after my next holiday.

:laugh: Me too! I'll be going before October though. My A1C, chol, etc. should be markedly improved :huh: as my daily numbers are in the normal range. :drinker:
  • heatheroo35
    heatheroo35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great job on your WL journey. Getting the #'s checked is a great incentive....it's a non scale victory! :)
  • strongmindstrongbody
    Options
    Good stuff! My doctor always gets huffy at me about how good my bloods are - I think she would rather something was bad so she could hassle me about my weight more.

LOL, I have a relative who got mad at me for having good blood test results. She thinks I shouldn't have better results than her because she's thin and I'm not. As if weight is the sole health indictor for everyone. :laugh:
  • strongmindstrongbody
    Options
    OP, great job with the improved bloodwork!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    going tomorrow actually...

2 years ago my cholesterol was high...family history...
    Then last year my Iron was high...which is funny cause I was anemic for so long...but Cholesterol was going in the right direction.
    Need to get those two things checked again then my B12 (family history again...my mom and gram are on shots now)

I know my blood pressure will be fine it's always a tad low 90/60 and I do get dizzy/faint sometimes but I am not concerned with it...esp considering I am a smoker.

I am hoping my new lifestyle...healthy eating, regular exercise will help any of those things that ail me...