Your results from LC diet?

Options
Hi everyone... was wondering who is on a low carb diet, and how did it benefit you?

I have cut out rice, potatoes, bread, sweets etc and get my carbs from vegetables and a small amount of nuts. I have been eating this way along with exercise 4-5 days per week for 5 weeks now. I lost a little weight but no change at all in body size...

In fact, my stomach looks bigger... I have that dreaded lower belly fat and I thought less carbs may be the solution to lose fat in that area.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Or even just let me know how you go eating low carb :)
Thanks

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. Doesn't matter if you cut out carbs, fat or whatever food. Just cutting carbs doesn't guarantee weight loss.
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs did help for me actually! I eat the same amount of calories, and cut back on carbs and lost weight. Just didnt do a think to the stomach unfortunately.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If I had a functional insulin receptor for every one of these low carb threads, I wouldn't be insulin resistant now...

Just eat the damn carbs you want, as long as you are in deficit. Fat is fat, and you still have some to lose. Calorie deficit to lose weight. Cardio to help with that deficit. Resistance training to make sure you lose fat, not lean body mass so that you look good when you hit your goal.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs did help for me actually! I eat the same amount of calories, and cut back on carbs and lost weight. Just didnt do a think to the stomach unfortunately.

People are likely to drop lots of water weight after starting a low carb diet, as carbs help your body hold onto water. Additionally, if you're truly eating a very low carb diet, you may become dehydrated more easily. I'm sure there are many people here who can expand on the the scientific details. Carbs aren't fattening. Excess calories are fattening.
  • hannah_d1989
    Options
    Yup your right- cutting carbs helps you lose water weight- I never lost weight easily so losing any was fantastic!

Richardhealth- I am quite happy eating low carbs, thanks. Everybody is different, and just wondered what people thought who were actually ON a low carb diet, and how it worked for them.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The main benefit for me is reducing my appetite. The lower my net carbs, the more my appetite decreases. It's always a big struggle for me to stand within my limits, so this has been very helpful.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    South beach worked for me a few years back so this time I have been successful with low calories with relatively low simple carbs (veggies and beans good, minimize white stuff - pasta, white flour items, white rice, etc.) -- I haven't felt deprived or hungry for the most part even though staying around 1200 calories. Have lost 35lbs in 6 months - low calories, low carbs, increase exercise.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I assume by low carb you mean cutting down on processed, complex and sugary stuff - bread, potatoes, pasta, rice & alcohol etc. I cut out all this stuff and have lost about 20lb in the last 6 months. I get my carbs from vegetables, and after a week or so the carb cravings disappeared. No doubt this thread will be flooded with people saying calories are calories but I have found that restricting these foods has had a positive effect on my fat loss.

I still cycle 1-3 hours 2-4 times a week, and lift weights on a low carb diet. Also, since cutting down I don't get hunger pangs I used to - you know when you eat a big bowl of pasta or rice and feel hungry an hour later. Just substitute the starchy carbs with something like cauliflower, courgette, peppers or mushrooms. Yes, you will lose water weight but after that initial high weight loss you will settle into a steady drip of fat loss - 0.5-1lb a week, is normal. And yes, as people will point out, you will gain it all back if you start eating carbs again - just like any diet change.

Give it a try for a month, it will take some getting used to and you will be grumpy from carb withdrawal. Do some more reading and make your own decisions on cutting back starch and sugary carbs, and good luck.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the problem with low carb diets is this...are you going to avoid those foods for the rest of your life?

I'm not saying don't do it or do it. I've found for me personally, cutting out things I love backfires. Lots of people cut out carbs while they are on their "diets" then when they reach their goal weight they go back to eating them and putting the weight back on. Not all do, but some.

So for me, I eat what I want, I work out, I lose weight. I've tried to make it as sustainable for my lifestyle as possible.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    If I had a functional insulin receptor for every one of these low carb threads, I wouldn't be insulin resistant now...

Just eat the damn carbs you want, as long as you are in deficit. Fat is fat, and you still have some to lose. Calorie deficit to lose weight. Cardio to help with that deficit. Resistance training to make sure you lose fat, not lean body mass so that you look good when you hit your goal.
    ^^^ Well said
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

People are likely to drop lots of water weight after starting a low carb diet, as carbs help your body hold onto water. Additionally, if you're truly eating a very low carb diet, you may become dehydrated more easily. I'm sure there are many people here who can expand on the the scientific details. Carbs aren't fattening. Excess calories are fattening.

Agreed. If low carb makes you feel good, then go for it, I guess. But you don't need to believe that it's the magic secret for weight loss. Plenty of people lose weight while still eating carbs. Weight loss is about eating fewer calories than you need.

Also, there is no diet that will specifically reduce belly fat. There are no special foods, tips, tricks, etc that will make that happen. You need to apply a calorie deficit, strength training, time, and some patience.
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    Low-carb diet — Understand the low-carb diet, from what's off-limits to expected health.

http://www.reducciondeestomago.net/
  • hannah_d1989
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. People really do have their views on low carb don't they! I don't feel deprived eating low carb, so don't feel I will ever need to go back to eating the way I was. Of course I will allow myself a treat every now and then, who doesn't!
    great to know that those of you who have done it have had great results!