To pole dance or not to pole dance, that is the Q :o)

Options
I am incredibly unfit at the moment but I just love to dance (even though it's been years now since I belonged to an actual dance club). The closes I have got lately is dance aerobics but I got a random e-mail about a dance fitness studio which does all kind of dance classes for weight loss, really thinking of doing the mixer class which is 10 weeks but doing two weeks of 5 different types of dance before you choose your class.

I am dead excited BUT the first session is pole dance and I really don't think anyone wants to see a fat chick dance the pole soooooo...... now I don't know what to do.

Has anyone on here taken one of these classes before? Is it all thin, fit hot chicks? Also I haven't mentioned it to my hubby yet, I hope he wouldn't be horrified!! It is a very small part of the course though..... I did consider skipping the first 2 weeks but that's kinda half-assed and I don't think that's the best way to start..... Any views?

Thanks guys,

Amy-Louise :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a pole dance class, however, for every other type of fitness class I've ever gone to, there have always been all shapes, sizes and fitness levels.
  • NHUK
    NHUK Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hubby wont be horrified, he will think you are awesome (of course he will assume you are doing it for his benefit, but ignorance is bliss after all)
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    Always to pole dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless of size... it's a fitness class as well as a dance class... do it with style and class and size never matters!

Do it for you, tell your husband you're going for a dance class - just don't put the pole in front!!!! :laugh:

HAVE FUN!!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how will you become a thin hot fit chick if you dont do exercise because you think you're too fat to exercise...
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!! Why risk injury at this stage of your fitness journey. We all had to crawl before we could walk
    I went from walking to running a half marathon in 2 hours. Just take it one day at a time and continue to make progress.

The pole dance will be there so continue to focus on eating healthy and training!!!

Herb
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to be even better that Zumba dancing, as you need to ensure that you have a tight core. Hubby shouldn't be horrified, he'll no doubt suggest practice at home.... I know mine would.

With regards to the size of those around you, there will be some slim people, but there will also be larger people. I find its not the size of people that intimidate me but the technical ability.

I have gone to classes before where there are people of all sizes (although not pole) and their technical abilities and stamina put me to complete and utter shame. Thankfully I am of the mindset that I will get better and be just as good..... one day!
  • mariliak
    mariliak Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have tried pole dancing for about 6 months . It is amazing and really boosts your self esteem . I was kind of fat when I was doing eat but I am really flexible and strong so I didnt really care about the thinn girls . I simply thought I am sexy and curvy and I can stuff noone else can. Its hell of an exercise especially for your hands that actually have to support your entire body . The only problem I found from having extra weight in pole classes was the fact that no matter how good I got I could never support myself only with my hands ( 85 kg is not like 55 ) . But my hands got really strong , I loved all the flexibility exercises , I felt really sexy and proud of myself to be able to do all those tricks on the pole instead of just sitting on my *kitten* all day . Its tough ( really tough ) but it is great and you get a lot of core , hand and thigh strength . Try it and you will not regret it . And you are gonna feeel soooooooo sexy u will not believe it !
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm just afraid I won't be able to hold myself up at all...... jeez could yu imagine, I'd be MORTIFIED.....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!! Why risk injury at this stage of your fitness journey. We all had to crawl before we could walk
    I went from walking to running a half marathon in 2 hours. Just take it one day at a time and continue to make progress.

The pole dance will be there so continue to focus on eating healthy and training!!!

Herb

I'm not really sure why she would have to wait. I've never taken a class myself, but from those I do know who have its the kind of work within your ability type class. Advanced participants do advanced moves, newbies start with much easier basics and increase strength/stamina.
    With any type of exercise there is a risk of injury, heck you can get hurt getting out of bed. I don't think the risks of dancing/pole dancing are any greater than many others.
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    I can only assume they start with basic moves and floor work and that they don't have you swingintg upside down from (gosh I hope not) at the start. I was just worried that it might be the kind of class where you already have to have reasonable strength,
    flexibility and stamina to start with.

Maybe I should just call them up and clarify?
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Go for it, have fun, rock it out, be sexy, burn some calories, and learn some hot new moves. If your only concern is your weight, go for it. If you're really worried about your fitness level or the level of the class, I'd call and ask about that but I'm almost sure that no matter your fitness level you'll be able to go and get a good workout even if you do have to modify some things. But seriously, go!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh, they are great fun,
    now they have kits out that you set up in your house.
    I have one in the basement,
    I use it a lot.
    and of course, hubs wants to watch too...
    so that means more bedroom action, of course!
    GO FOR IT,
    the calories burned are awesome too,
  • KiwiJewels
    KiwiJewels Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried it once, just for fun, and I have NO upper body strength so let's just say I wasn't very good at it! *grin* The mind was willing - I could totally see myself doing it in my minds eye - but the flesh was too weak sadly! :-)

I still say go for it - it's only two weeks, there will be others in the same boat (and everyone is usually too busy doing it themselves to notice anyone else) and then at least you can say you tried. Even if you're not very good at it but had a ball, doing more classes can be a goal for when you've lost some weight and strengthened some muscles...

You should approach the instructor beforehand and say that you're willing to give it a go, but that you're not sure what you'll be able to do. Once you explain your concerns I'm sure that she can give advice on what to do, and hopefully even give you some moves in class that are able to be achieved no matter someone's size.

Try everything at least once, more if you like it, that's what I say! Make sure you come back and tell us how you got on :-)
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Go for it, it's a giggle :) I've only ever taken one lesson myself as a taster (sadly just can't afford the course else I would!) and it was so much fun, and no, you don't start out doing high flying stunts, just getting the basic strut around the podium and a few basic swings is enough for a beginner!

And I was definitely a fat chick doing it, and i know I didn't look half as awesome and sexy as I felt cos i looked in the mirror, but didn't care, cos it really does FEEL great :smile:
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    Sounds like a plan.

I have been having a rough time lately and I could use some fun!

I have to call them to find out when it starts (just have to wait until
    my office mate is not in the room hahaha) anyways so I can ask
    some of my Q's then.

I will of course let you all know, thanks so much xx
  • _Moose51_
    Options
    Take a chance, have some fun. If you have someone special you can show your new moves to later, I don't suspect they will complain :)
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    Thanks huys, I am definitely leaning towards doing it! And hopefully hubby will like my new moves :o) haha

I also got more info... So it's actually 8 weeks....

Week 1+2= Pole fitness
    Week 3+4= Adult Street Dance
    Week 5+6= Hoop fitness (dancing with hula hoops??!) haha
    Weeks 7+8= Kick Boxercise (and I already do and LOVE boxercise!!)

Sounds fun!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Most people take months just to get to a 5K.
  • char_88
    char_88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would definitely give it a go! It's something I have thought about as I have heard its' great for toning and building strength etc. If its part of the course then it would be a shame to miss out on the whole experience, plus it will be a great ice breaker for the following weeks, I'm sure everyone else will be feeling the same as you but I bet you will all have a good laugh! Go for it :)
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I did a class and loved it. Yes you start with the basics - they don't expect you to be able to hold yourself up on the pole your first class. It is very tough though. Your hands and arms will hurt. After my first class I couldn't hardly drive home. Then after my hands and arms got used to it - my legs hurt as you have to have the arm strenght to really do the leg moves. The only thing I didn't like about it was the bruising. It was really difficult to not get bruises on your legs from hitting and swinging around the pole. It does make you feel accomplished and sexy though. I only quit because I hurt my foot/ankle running and haven't been able to get back to a class. I say go for it!