not loosing weight only inches

Options
Hi im 5'1 and my weight is 140 pounds I want to be 110 or less but I change the way I ate and watching my calories 1200 or less im not working out but I did lose two inches but not any weight I know I have to work out but I thought that wit only dieting it will work im really frustrated and sad so if someone there can help me please im crying and crying because I love to eat and I change a lot for nothing I'm really sad thanks

Replies

• nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hi im 5'1 and my weight is 140 pounds I want to be 110 or less but I change the way I ate and watching my calories 1200 or less im not working out but I did lose two inches but not any weight I know I have to work out but I thought that wit only dieting it will work im really frustrated and sad so if someone there can help me please im crying and crying because I love to eat and I change a lot for nothing I'm really sad thanks

Few thoughts on this:

1. Are those inches off your waist? If so, beware of the fact that waist measurements vary wildly depending on what and when you've eaten, your water retention, period etc. For better tracking you might want to measure your hips, thighs, arms as those have a lower variation, and make sure you always measure yourself at the same time (preferably in the morning before breakfast).

2. If indeed you are losing inches, then you should be really happy. Weight ALSO fluctuates by 2-4 pounds on a daily basis, due to the same factors and should also be measured at the same time of the day and taking into account your cycle.

3. You haven't mentioned for how long you have been doing this. If you've only been doing it for a week or two... give it time. Changes do not happen overnight and measurements are very inexact to catch small variations.

4. If your diet makes you cry, you're doing it wrong. I know it sounds harsh, and trust me I've been there, I understand the feeling. But a diet that makes you cry and crave everything under the sun is not sustainable. You need to find your balance at which you can still enjoy your food, just to come out a few calories short. Otherwise you're going to burn out and might end up binge eating afterwards only to find yourself weighing more.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's not about diet but long-term fitness.
    Find a fitness activity that you enjoy and that gives you a kick and do it.

Enjoy being active. Enjoy eating reasonably. Enjoy life.

If everything is a frustration then you are looking at things wrong.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Why are you sad? Who cares what your weight is. That's just a number that will read different on every scale you step on. Your diameter is a real measure of success.
  • firefightergal30
    firefightergal30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from my own experience that I over obcess the number on the scale. I know better, like the other post, your weight is going to move up and down a bit throught the day. I have a problem with getting on the scale up to 5 times a day. It isn't healthy and all it does is frustrate you. I think I have reached a point where I just need to ignore the number on the scale and just focus more on eating clean and getting adequate exercise in my week. I think the more you start living your life in a healthy way, the rest will follow. I swear it was like one day I weighed 145 then in a month I was 166! I have been batteling it ever since. But after a few days of trying to be so careful of what I ate, having emotional outbursts with my spouse because I was upset that I can't fit in my jeans anymore that I just got fed up with it all and decided that I wasn't going to focus all my attention on it anymore. I started my sitting down and planning my meals out, putting them in mfp before I ate them to see where my carbs and calories were at. Note, I have only been doing this for the past 2 days as this has all recently unfolded. But I swear it seemed almost instantaneously that I lost weight! I think because I planned things out for me and started caring less about what I saw in the mirror things seem to fall in place better.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE !
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE !

Best advice I've heard all day!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Seems liek you're losing fat, but building muscle. Scales are not always the best way to measure success in weight loss. That's a good thing! Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water and easting properly and the weight will come off eventually. afterall, muscle burns fat!
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    im not working out
    I know I have to work out
  • barnzey901
    barnzey901 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would've said that your gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat - leading to a decrease in body fat and would explain the lack of weight loss!

Stop focusing on the scales! You can get a leaner, more toned body without dropping pounds and pounds! The inches are displaying that! You're body is changing!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If you love to eat then why wouldn't you workout?
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am sure this will be said a million times. The inches are what counts; not the scale. The scale is only a number that means litterally nothing. Now with that said; here is what I do know about this. For women specifically who start with no or little lean muscle. "You will always lose inches first". The weight will come once your body hits that tipping point.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Exercise is nice, but calorie reduction alone should be enough to lose weight. You may be eating more than you think.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am sure this will be said a million times. The inches are what counts; not the scale. The scale is only a number that means litterally nothing. Now with that said; here is what I do know about this. For women specifically who start with no or little lean muscle. "You will always lose inches first". The weight will come once your body hits that tipping point.

That's never been the case for me. If I create a sufficient calorie deficit, I lose weight. It's highly unlikely that most of the people here who are failing to lose weight are doing it because they've put on large amounts of muscle, especially in a short period of time. I'll bet most of them don't have even a rough idea of their body fat percentage and they're probably not accurately tracking their calories.

The scale is not the only tool, but it is very meaningful. Also don't forget that measurements can be manipulated, possibly subconsciously, by the place one holds the tape or the tautness. There's no similar play with a scale.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the best type of loss? Inches?
  • saramichelle723
    saramichelle723 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would've said that your gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat - leading to a decrease in body fat and would explain the lack of weight loss!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat-one pound. Muscle is more dense than fat so it takes up less space.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Stop focusing on the scales! You can get a leaner, more toned body without dropping pounds and pounds! The inches are displaying that! You're body is changing!

I would've said no. Gaining muscle (outside some noob gains) is extremely difficult. I would've said, maintaining muscle mass, retaining water, while losing BF%.

P.S. -- To OP. If you aren't exercising, you should open your food diary to give us more to go on.

Also, the tape measure indicates success, not the scale.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight and hardly any inches. I would be very frustrated if I were worried about it. Luckily, I'm enjoying feeling healthier and being able to do more things, and I'm trying to focus on that instead of the fact that I am still wearing the same clothes I wore when I started this adventure. Admittedly, they fit differently now, but still... it's odd, what our bodies do with composition.

eta: My earlobes are smaller. And there is space between my toes that wasn't there before. I cling to these small signs.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    It's not about diet but long-term fitness.
    Find a fitness activity that you enjoy and that gives you a kick and do it.

Enjoy being active. Enjoy eating reasonably. Enjoy life.

If everything is a frustration then you are looking at things wrong.

THIS!!!!
  • majupany
    majupany Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answer I feel better haha and im keep doing eating healthier and I started jillian michaels 30 day shred wish me luck and thanks again.
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wish i weigh what u weigh! Get over it and move on!