Why Do Squats Make My Knees Hurt?

Options
2»

Replies

• psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you have time, then read:

http://www.dentonisd.org/cms/lib/tx21000245/centricity/Domain/700/Everything_you_need_to_know_about_Squatting.pdf

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks millions for the info...good article
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You might want to try doing them without weight, or trying wall or chair squats. If your knees continue to hurt, stop, and see a doctor.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When i started squats my knees hurt as well ... i tried to squat with good form but still my knees would hurt so i quit them altogether ... what i did was exercises that strengthen the knees and thighs ... after a few months i was back to squats and my knees never hurt again ... it seemed that my muscles were so weak that they couldn't support my knees ...
    Another tip: read starting strength ... it helped me with good form

This to a tee. Good form with developed beginner strength is what will prevent you from having knee pains during squats. You have to start out slow to develop stronger muscles that support the knee and strengthen the knee itself.

I'd say ditch the weights for now, work on form, and hit the PT Pyramid method to develop good strength (which actually applies to... everything really imho). You go in sets that multiply from the initial number to rise, peak, and then decline. If you're interested, hit this article here -> http://www.military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/pt-pyramid

Example: Right now, I personally start with 5 reps; I go through sets multiplying the reps each x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x4 x3 x2 x1, and each set is a short rest of 10-15 breaths. Boom! 100 squats in a few minutes. No pain and good gain.

Worked for me 8 years ago in boot camp and it's working for me now.
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In addition to making sure your knees aren't sticking out past your toes, you also need to make sure your knees aren't collapsing in toward the center during the squat.

Exactly, your knees should stay in line with your ankles not move forward while you squat...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    In addition to making sure your knees aren't sticking out past your toes, you also need to make sure your knees aren't collapsing in toward the center during the squat.

Exactly, your knees should stay in line with your ankles not move forward while you squat...
    If your knees don't move forward, your back will collapse, due to the center of gravity of the weight. Whether your knees go past your toes or not is purely based on the length of your legs vs the length of your torso. The longer your legs, the further forward your knees will travel.

Besides, if your knees stay even with your ankles, that would mean your shins are perfectly vertical at the bottom of the squat. Impossible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

Must be squatting on a Smith machine if this is your form. Natural movement for knees IS to move forward on a squat. Not disputed in any kinesiology or biomechanics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition