Women around 5'8"

Options
If you go by the TDEE method of adjusting your calories, what is your TDEE and what did you set your calorie goal to?

Replies

• ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2417. If I deduct 20% from that I should be eating around 1800-1900 cal. a day to lose weight? Right? It just seems like a lot to be on a mission to lose this last 20 pounds! :)
  • ademiter
    Options
    bump
  • ademiter
    Options
    bump - anyone?
  • agressre
    agressre Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just used the numbers provided by MFP. I ate back my exercise calories and dropped 20 pounds. It worked for me. Most days I was eating 1700-1900 calories with exercise.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5-8/9, and I'm on 1600 to lose at the mo, as I found that 1800 lead to maintenance. Sucks!

I also do Convict Conditioning (its a progressive bodyweight program as I dont have weights) and run once or twice a week for hald an hourish. Seems to be working so far, but I have about 30lb to lose I think, and we may be nothing alike :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2417. If I deduct 20% from that I should be eating around 1800-1900 cal. a day to lose weight? Right? It just seems like a lot to be on a mission to lose this last 20 pounds! :)

That's it . eat 20% less TDEE . Fact: You will lose weight it might take 20weeks but that's the reality of losing 20pounds of pure body fat
  • aurora_simone
    Options
    I'm a newbie...I'm 5'8"....what's TDEE and how do I find that out? Right now MFP has me at 1450 cal/day. I haven't started my exercise program but right now trying to get my diet right.

ETA: I found it. I went to fitnessfrog.com and it's 1783 calories.... Now to find out what this number means
  • Jenelle64
    Options
    I'm 5'8" about 150lbs now but need to drop 10 more to get to the 'ideal' weight for my height and body frame. My TDEE calulation came out to about 1430 calories a day. I've been sticking to that and I don't eat back calories. Since switching to the TDEE from what MFP recommends, I've lost 1.8 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I was stuck before.

aurora_simone, TDEE is a way to calculate the calories you need to maintain your weight at your normal activity level, then you subtract 500 from it to get the level of calories you would eat to lose 1 lb a week. The difference between TDEE and MFP is that the TDEE already figures in your activity so you would not eat back calories, MFP doesn't take your activity into the calculation so you can eat back any calories that you burn.

The TDEE calculation is:

Female: 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
    Male: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + ( 12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Multiply the number you got from the calulation above by 1.375 for low levels of activity or 1.55 for moderate levels of activity or 1.725 high levels of activity. This is the calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight. Subtract 500 for a 1 lb per week weight loss.
  • aurora_simone
    Options
    Thank for the explanation Jenelle64. Right now I am about 160 and would like to get to 145lbs
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and can't remember what my TDEE was when I calculated it a while back, but I set my calories for 1,700 per day and eat some or all of my exercise calories back. I burn 300-400 calories 5-6 times a week, so I'm often eating @2,000-2,100 calories per day. I loose if I stay consistent with this, but I usually have a big fail day where I don't track and eat a ton more, and then I maintain.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5". :) I eat around 1500 calories pre-workout, and I always eat back most of my exercise calories.

I did TDEE for a while, but I found that I wasn't motivated to work out anymore when I didn't see those exercise calories added to my daily intake. So I switched back to the MFP method, but I added my own hybrid twist to it. (adjusted macros)

I end up eating the same number of calories as I would have using TDEE, (and if I'm honest, sometimes a little bit more), but this way I'm motivated to keep moving! :)

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sounds about perfect to me. In fact, if it's your last few pounds, you should be eating more, say a 10-15% reduction, then edge up the calories towards your maintenance 2417 as you get closer.

Remember this method includes your exercise calories, so you don't record and eat them back separately.

In fact my TDEE works out almost exactly the same as MFP when I take my average exercise over a week into account, but I find the MFP method more useful FOR ME as it's simpler and acts as a motivation to actually do the exercise!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question. I have MFP set to 1450 calories a day, and average about 300 calories in exercise most days which I eat back.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great thread. My TDEE is 1876, but, I work at a desk job. So to lose a pound a week, I think I would eat 1376 + my exercise calories. I used the calculator on fitnessfrog.com and input that I got little to no exercise normally. Does that make sense? I'll see how this works. I am committed, I am BEYOND committed, for the first time in a long time. :smile:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I don't know exactly, but judging by trial and error (what I can maintain on) my TDEE is roughly 2700ish. I eat a minimum of 2800 at the moment for a mini-bulk, but if I'm losing weight I usually set it to stay around/just under 2500.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sounds about perfect to me. In fact, if it's your last few pounds, you should be eating more, say a 10-15% reduction, then edge up the calories towards your maintenance 2417 as you get closer.

Remember this method includes your exercise calories, so you don't record and eat them back separately.

In fact my TDEE works out almost exactly the same as MFP when I take my average exercise over a week into account, but I find the MFP method more useful FOR ME as it's simpler and acts as a motivation to actually do the exercise!

I agree -- it motivates me to exercise if I "get" to add the expended calories on and eat them. Sometimes if I want to plan a big meal for dinner, I will exercise during the day so I have enough calories.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'8 and my tdee is 1864. i am sedentary as i have CFS/fibromyalgia.

originally when i put my numbers into mfp it gave me 1200 calories and i did see a few pounds go but this week i have upped it to 1350 calories. no idea if i'm doing right or wrong but 1350 + 500 = my tdee (approx).
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    TDEE about 2200, calorie goal about 1750.

ETA, you're going to get a variety of answers here, as weight, age and activity level are going to vary from woman to woman.
  • MizzuzR
    Options
    Wow, why are my MFP calories so low compared to everyone else?? My age? I just started but they have me at 1233 calories a day, I have gotten used to cutting the calories and almost always eat back what I exercise but looking at all of your numbers I feel like I am being swindled-haha! I guess it's because I have a desk job...
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8inch and I weigh 207lbs. My TDEE is 3030.

At the moment I am eating 1700, I will increase it as I go along :)

I was eating between 1200 and 1500 calories but I jus wouldn't lose weight. As soon as I increased my intake the weight started ti come off again.