Bloated or just fat? Strength or cardio? Clean eating?

Options
Hi everyone. :smile: I would like to ask if anybody knows whether i am bloating or considered skinny fat?

Here is a photo of my body (I am 18 years old) after food:
roVFJk3.jpg?3

As you can see, my tummy is obviously protruding. My stomach ALWAYS expands by at least 2 inches (sometimes even 4) after food and i find it very disheartening because it's like my attempts to eat clean have been redundant. I try to eat as much whole foods as possible, but sometimes this just leads to me not eating instead (eg. eating out or when my home has only processed foods). An hour or so later I get so hungry I just eat whatever I can find, and then I feel guilty and try to not eat again but the cycle repeats.

I feel like I should be doing cardio to burn all my fats but I weigh 48kg (~106lbs) and I am 1.65m tall (5'5). From my photograph, should I be doing strength training instead? I don't understand why does my stomach seem 'disproportionate'. Since my stomach expands, does that mean that im actually bloating instead (or is it just fats)?

Few months back I went on a no-carb diet for many weeks and I really did not eat much at all (hardly meeting 1200 calories on mfp).Now that I'm taking in carbs again, I read somewhere that after restricting your diet, your body will not be used to digesting more food and bloating will occur. But this has been a constant issue for me, I dont know even know if its just fats or bloat.

Can I please ask if anyone knows what I should do? There was a period of time I did a lot of cardio and ate under 1200 calories which made me lose a lot of boob weight (i dropped a cup or more). I really dont want to lose anymore of my chest. Do I just have to change my diet or do cardio differently or do strength training or what? If I do strength training, wont my muscles still be covered by a layer of fats? Thanks so much for reading this.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    At 5'5" and 106 lbs when you eat it's probably like a python swallowing a rat and you can actually see the food expanding your stomach!

Your posture is terrible too. Practice standing up straight and tucking your butt in so your gut doesn't stick out.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking from experience, but from a lot of what I've learned on here I'm guessing some weight training would help.
    Please don't lose any more weight!
    And don't restrict carbs either - your body needs them.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the kindest way possible--what I think you should do is take better care of your body and treat it well.

You are very thin for your height, yet you talk about "burning all your fats" and you're eating at an extremely low level of calories and seem to be concerned with restriction. It's not sounding good at all....
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease. No matter how flat my stomach was in the morning, as the day went on it became more bloated until I looked pregnant by the end of the day.

It turned out, once I stopped eating wheat, the stomach flattened and stayed flat.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    To answer your qestion, yes you should be strength training. You are not overweight and if you want to change the way your body looks you need to lift heavy things more so than "burn fat" with cardio.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as much whole foods as possible, but sometimes this just leads to me not eating instead (eg. eating out or when my home has only processed foods). An hour or so later I get so hungry I just eat whatever I can find, and then I feel guilty and try to not eat again but the cycle repeats.

You are overly concerned about your body, and I'm concerned that you may be on the road to an eating disorder. At 5'5" and 106, you're pretty much underweight and to worry about 2" showing up after eating is a bit obsessive, IMO.
    Since my stomach expands, does that mean that im actually bloating instead (or is it just fats)?

It means you are human. The volume of food has to go SOMEWHERE. And digestion takes place in us all. Some foods bloat us up a little. Stop worrying about it.

Also, in my opinion, if you want to have more muscle definition and look more fit, a lifting program would be a good idea, but you're going to have to eat more to feed your body. Fat is not the enemy.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the kindest way possible--what I think you should do is take better care of your body and treat it well.

You are very thin for your height, yet you talk about "burning all your fats" and you're eating at an extremely low level of calories and seem to be concerned with restriction. It's not sounding good at all....

^^^Exactly this!
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think you and I have the same problem, even though I am a guy.

I also tilt my pelvis forward like you do.

It's called anterior pelvic tilt. Girls have that a bit more naturally. It can be a habit too, but also a muscle imbalance. My stomach always looks a lot bigger after eating too. I have my body fat a lot lower now and I can see my abs, but the lower tummy still protrudes forward.

When you have anterior pelvic tilt (APT) normally these muscles will be a bit weak::
    hamstrings
    glutes (butt)
    abs

So you should strengthen them if you want to reduce the tilt.

What I try to do is relax the following by foamrolling and stretching:
    quadriceps
    hip flexors

Because the quadriceps and hip flexors are what pull our hips in a tilt forward.

Having said all that, I think you look fine and not overweight. You can lose more body fat if you want but do it gradually using calorie control (eat slightly below your maintenance). Your tummy may look like this even at lower body fat percentages though if you're anything like me. Fat may disappear elsewhere, like from your breasts.

Some stuff to add, yes weight training will do wonders for your body, but probably not change your tummy unless it's because a muscle imbalance and you address that through your program.

And yes some foods can cause bloating and it's different for everyone. Also, your tummy should go right down after a few hours.

Carbs can cause bloating but you NEED carbs don't restrict them. On the other hand we also don't need as many carbs as people think. Eat a lot of fats and protein and eat carbs for energy only it doesn't help your body in other ways. If you're getting enough energy and don't feel down / lethargic then you're getting enough carbs.

Say again: I don't advocate restricting carbs eat at least 50g every day or something.
  • FaitheSoler
    FaitheSoler Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as much whole foods as possible, but sometimes this just leads to me not eating instead (eg. eating out or when my home has only processed foods). An hour or so later I get so hungry I just eat whatever I can find, and then I feel guilty and try to not eat again but the cycle repeats.

You are overly concerned about your body, and I'm concerned that you may be on the road to an eating disorder. At 5'5" and 106, you're pretty much underweight and to worry about 2" showing up after eating is a bit obsessive, IMO.
    Since my stomach expands, does that mean that im actually bloating instead (or is it just fats)?

It means you are human. The volume of food has to go SOMEWHERE. And digestion takes place in us all. Some foods bloat us up a little. Stop worrying about it.

Also, in my opinion, if you want to have more muscle definition and look more fit, a lifting program would be a good idea, but you're going to have to eat more to feed your body. Fat is not the enemy.

Agree 100 %
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease. No matter how flat my stomach was in the morning, as the day went on it became more bloated until I looked pregnant by the end of the day.

It turned out, once I stopped eating wheat, the stomach flattened and stayed flat.

Please ignore this. The chance of you having celiac disease and not knowing is very slim. You need to eat and not restrict any food groups.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Mine does this, too. It's nothing to worry about--- it's just the food expanding your stomach, maybe pushing your other organs out (I dunno, nobody call me out on this, haha)

Lower ab exercises can help hold it all in--- I do Pilates (lots of core work) & I've noticed that I'm more compact after eating (there's still some protrusion, though! I mean, it has to go somewhere :) )
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Skipping the first question because its trivial.

Strength, minimal cardio for changes in body composition when you are at .... rather BELOW a healthy weight. You want to retain lean body mass or even build it which can really only be done with some sort of strength training which really should be read as heavy lifting.

Clean eating... well I'd just focus on eating in general. In the 1700-2000 ball park with adequate protein (100-150g) and adequate fat (at least 35g) since there are essential vitamins that need dietary fat to be absorbed into the body like Vitamin D.

You are on the verge of or already have some skewed views on food and what is considered healthy. Work on that and almost everything else will fall into place.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not fat, you just have no muscle tone
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    At 5'5" and 106 lbs when you eat it's probably like a python swallowing a rat and you can actually see the food expanding your stomach!

Your posture is terrible too. Practice standing up straight and tucking your butt in so your gut doesn't stick out.

QFT.

I too am 5'5" and finally gained up to 125. I can tell you that your posture in these pictures is not really good for a true answer. If anything, you could maybe stand to gain some weight and lose some body fat IF that is what you are after. Strength training will help that.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    you're not fat, you just have no muscle tone
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    I'm going to say that again for emphasis, just in case the previously bold and italicized. While eating some fat will not make you fat, too much of this good thing will amount of calories right out of the gate, along with doing a bunch of cardio.

http://www.reducciondeestomago.net/
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Weights... you should weightlift and eat more. I know what you're thinking... eating more will make me gain weight... if you do gain weight, it will most likely be in good weight... you have to feed your body in order to gain that beautiful muscle. Muscle is what is going to make you "tone" up... the more muscle you have, the more fat it will eat and you will look leaner (you might weigh more... and let's just say you probably will and should) but you will be smaller around the middle and you might even see a six-pack or 10-pack in your future.

Try to be good to yourself. There is no need to starve yourself to lose fat; in fact you are probably doing the opposite. Just lift (heavy for you) and if you aren't sure where to start, there are so many plans out there or work out at home videos or advice givers (from people who have been working out for a while) that are willing to help.

I hope you the best.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    1. Do cardio and strength training.
    2. Eat a sensible diet that doesn't restrict you from things you want/like
    3. (and most importantly) Stop obsessing about weight.
  • osmyuki
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind advice, I never knew I had such issues with myself..
    I will try to eat even more wholefoods and try weight training (like legit weight lifting at the gym?) to tone up.
    Hopefully my bloat will reduce and not be that extensive anymore.. thank you everyone again.