Running, lifting and walking, oh my!

Options
Hello everyone! I am just looking for some advice.

I am a female.
Current weight is 232
I'm 5'4"
I'm eating about 1600 calories a day (calculated my BMR and TDEE minus 20%)

and I am definitely on a plateau... Getting a little frustrated but I realize it will pass. I would like to get back into exercising some. I did the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, also have walked some on the ellipitical, walked outdoors and started kayaking this summer. I would like to bump this up a bit and am just looking on some suggestions. I've heard about the "New Rules of Lifting" and am a little intrigued. Does this program use free weights? Also, I've thought about the C25k program.. I'm not sure what to try at this point and just want some advice from people on what worked for them. I'm probably not worrying too much about definition at this point, but just about getting the weight to come off. I also don't have a TON of time, but I know I could make myself have more if I can get motivated again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the c25k programme - took me from a complete non-runner to regularly running between 7-10k a few times a week now. Its only 3x a week, so you could combine it with strength or anything else. There's a dedicated group forum here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

I would also recommend lifting. NROLFW uses free weights - you'd need to get hold of the book. You could also look into other beginners programmes such as Starting Strength or Stonglifts. Check out these groups and read lots:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/788-women-strength-training
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

When you are losing weight, you are at risk of losing lean mass along with the fat. Making sure your deficit isn't too large helps (so as you get closer to a healthy weight, you'd eventually want to reduce to TDEE-15% then TDEE-10%), but some sort of resistance training really helps too. It also helps with maintaining bone density, also very important. Definition will come later as the fat reduces, revealing the muscles underneath, but in the meantime you want to hold onto the muscle you have right now. It doesn't have to be free weights, although many will argue that's the most effective way. You could also look into bodyweight exercises (try googling that phrase) as there is a lot you can do with just bodyweight, especially when you're starting out.

Basically, with whatever you try, start out slow. Take your time and don't rush into trying lots of new things all at once, and don't end up over-doing it and getting either burnt out or injured. What works the best for you is going to be what you enjoy most and can therefore sustain. Don't force yourself to do some regime that you hate, when there are so many different forms of exercise to choose from. Pay attention to what your body's telling you, and make sure you get rest days.
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information! I love being outdoors, so I'm probably leaning towards the C25k program. I've never been a runner though (this is the girl that used to walk the mile in gym class) so.. it's a bit daunting. I really appreciate your information and take on things. I looked at those groups quickly and will continue to peruse their topics. Thank you again!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    NROL does use free weights - it was also one of the first mainstream proponents of "lift very heavy things" and I think it's a great program to start with. C25k is good, if you want to be able to run 5k - but go by how you feel, if it says "run for 2 minutes" and your joints hurt, stick with the walking. (If it's just your muscles/lungs that are tired, keep following the program.) If you'd rather start with a bodyweight program, those are good too because they're often easier on the joints and cost nothing (or close to nothing) to get started with.

Really the choice comes down to finding an exercise you enjoy and sticking with it consistently. I've done all three of the above and think that lifting heavy, minimal cardio is the way to go, but that's only partly because of science - it's also because that's the program I like and I'll do every day. Really the weight loss will come from your diet - but how you look when you're done losing the weight will depend on what you do while you're getting there.

Oh, and make sure to recalculate your TDEE when you start exercising. It won't change a whole bunch, but you should still be figuring it in there.
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh good point, bokodasu! I will need to factor in the extra exercise when I start.. wasn't thinking of that! Thank you! I've heard that heavy lifting and small amounts of cardio is best as well.. I've always been a cardio person, so I'm a little nervous with trying to move on from that. I just googled bodyweight programs... this would definitely be afforable and I could hide in my own house for most of it.. (pushups, squats etc..) Thanks for the ideas! :flowerforyou: