Need to know if what I'm doing is good

Options
So yesterday, as per my Garmin Forerunner 210 watch, I have lost 800 calories during my training session at the gym (30 minutes C25K, 30 minutes elliptical and 30 minutes strenght training)

I have eaten for 2000 calories...which brings me to 1200 calories ''net''. I'm 5'3'', 178 lbs as of this morning (started at 183 3 weeks ago). Aiming for a 50+ lbs weight loss by May 2014.

I try to look mainly the ''carbs'' and try to be under the daily goal that MFP tells me. I drink a lot of water, 1.5 L to 2+L per day.

Am I finally understanding the process of losing fat? Is my long term goal achievable?

I'm so scared of eating all of those calories and not losing my 50+ lbs afterall...

I go to the gym once every 2 days. On my days off, I try to do a little something (walking, home video, road biking, etc) to burn a bit of calories. There is 1 or 2 nights where I will just rest.

So...you're thoughts, pleae? With thanks! :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds fine, leep going!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You have lost 16lbs, you are eating lots of food to sustain that activity. Sounds like you have a handle on it.
  • mel_2812
    mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You have lost 16lbs, you are eating lots of food to sustain that activity. Sounds like you have a handle on it.

I should restart my ticker... :(

2 years ago, I lost a total of almost 45 pounds, which brought me to close to 150 lbs. I re-gain 33 pounds from that lost...I think I wasn't eating enough...I want to do things right this time around.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me :)
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    sounds great to me
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got the gist of it down.

I will just add 1 thing, since you mentioned fat loss... make sure you are doing some real strength training. Weights, machines, body weight, kettle bells, bands... something. High resistance work will help retain the muscle you have, increase the % of weight loss that comes from fat.
  • mel_2812
    mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I will just add 1 thing, since you mentioned fat loss... make sure you are doing some real strength training. Weights, machines, body weight, kettle bells, bands... something. High resistance work will help retain the muscle you have, increase the % of weight loss that comes from fat.

I'm working with machines only at this time...
    I do 3 series of 15 repititions for each machine...

-Leg extension : 60 lbs (this is hard!)
    -Leg curl: 75 lbs
    -Dip Machine: 100 lbs
    -''No'' Machine Adductor and ''Yes'' Machine Adductor : 115 lbs
    -Shoulder press machine: 60 lbs
    -Something similar to Wide-grip Lat Pulldown: 60 lbs
    -Abs: 4 series of 25 repitions.

This one, I'm not too sure about the name but I am sitting down, back against the bench back, pushing in front of me...supposed to be working my chest. - 30 lbs...this machine is new to me and still have hard time with it.

That's it for now...
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition there's no need to restrict carbs. Everything in moderation. Other than that you seem to be on the right track...:)

For lifting, many ladies are following the New Rules of Lifting for Women as a starting point. I'll be starting lifting as soon as I get my copy...:)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I'm working with machines only at this time...
    I do 3 series of 15 repititions for each machine...

-Leg extension : 60 lbs (this is hard!)
    -Leg curl: 75 lbs
    -Dip Machine: 100 lbs
    -''No'' Machine Adductor and ''Yes'' Machine Adductor : 115 lbs
    -Shoulder press machine: 60 lbs
    -Something similar to Wide-grip Lat Pulldown: 60 lbs
    -Abs: 4 series of 25 repitions.

This one, I'm not too sure about the name but I am sitting down, back against the bench back, pushing in front of me...supposed to be working my chest. - 30 lbs...this machine is new to me and still have hard time with it.

That's it for now...

Machines are more than fine as long as you keep the weight challenging. 15 reps is generally considered to be on the high side, but you're probably OK.

Dips, shoulder press, lat pull-down, and the new chest press are all good... definitely keep those. I'd also add in the leg press or hack squat... those are probably 2 of the best machine lifts you can do. Leg extension, leg curl, adductors and abs are less effective, but there's no real harm in doing them... I'd just make sure you were giving the highest effort/intensity to the other lifts before you worried about those.

All in all it sounds like you're on the right track though.