Went running & now I can't touch my toes!

Options
I am an active person. I bike about 8 miles per day and I climb about 3 days per week. However, I decided that I need more cardio, so I went for an 18 minute run for two days in a row.

It was great, and I am happy that I had the stamina to do this. However, now I am so stiff & achey. I am having sciatic pain and cannot even touch my toes now.

Any tips for someone breaking into running on how not to tighten up? I have always had very stiff muscles in my legs and very little hip flexibility. But this is painful and ridiculous!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yoga is your friend. I do at least one session of yoga per week. Stretch well after every run. Get a foam roller as well - they work wonders.

Go slow and keep it short. Don't add too much distance. You may be fit and active, but it's ok to ease into this. Also, give yourself rest days between runs.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What was your warm-up?
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Foam roallers and yoga. I have very tight hips as it is, and running always tightens them up more. Pigeon pose is my ultimate favorite for hips stretch.

Stretching after running does help. Include the pigeon (can do it standing), quad, calf, arms, shoulders, etc stretching into your running routine. :smile:
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    A warm up and stretching is necessary. Plus running is using muscles you may not have used in the past so they are just now getting tested. Ease into it.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had no warm up. I just started running out my front door. Then I walked for about 15 minutes after running. I did do some stretching afterward, but it obviously was not enough, right? :)
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch after!
    And make sure you're running with proper form

running-3.jpg
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I force myself to run twice a week (between 1-3 miles because I hate it), I do a lot of yoga and biking...and right after I run I can never touch my toes. I always foam roll or spend some extra time stretching after I run.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stretching afterwards - it helps.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Agreed. Foam roallers and yoga. I have very tight hips as it is, and running always tightens them up more. Pigeon pose is my ultimate favorite for hips stretch.

Stretching after running does help. Include the pigeon (can do it standing), quad, calf, arms, shoulders, etc stretching into your running routine. :smile:

I would agree stretching after CAN help. Wouldn't say does.

I would also identify stretching as well. When you say "stretch", many new to the term or activity automatically think of static stretches from the last century.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you have access to a physical therapist, but they really helped me improve my form and gave me some nice exercise to lengthen and stretch my leg muscles. I have very tight hamstrings.

Oh and ditto on stretching afterwards PT told me that was crucial
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had no warm up. I just started running out my front door. Then I walked for about 15 minutes after running. I did do some stretching afterward, but it obviously was not enough, right? :)

I would suggest a warm up, I do a 5 minute walk to warm up, and a 5 minute walk to cool down, it helps me.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller and roll out those IT bands, hamstrings and calves
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you have access to a physical therapist, but they really helped me improve my form and gave me some nice exercise to lengthen and stretch my leg muscles. I have very tight hamstrings.

Stretch, maybe, but muscles are attached to bones, they will not lengthen. Length is set at birth by where the muscles attach.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    Options
    What are these foam rollers that everyone keeps suggesting?
  • RGv2
    Options

Stretch, maybe, but muscles are attached to bones, they will not lengthen. Length is set at birth by where the muscles attach.

^^This, not sure about crucial.... I haven't "stretched" post cardio in over a decade (if ever).
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think you've gotten enough advice about stretching, so I'll ask about your shoes. How old are they and have you been properly fitted for running shoes?
  • sheclimbsrocks
    Options
    My sneakers are new New Balance. I don't know a thing about running shoes, but they are comfortable. I did go running once in a pair of shoes without much cushion, and it killed my knees. These are better shoes.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    After a few days I always feel better and stop hurting. The first first are always a little rough.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    stretch, walk, run, walk, stretch
  • RGv2
    Options
    stretch, walk, run, walk, stretch

Again, define "stretch" prior to.

There's a big difference in dynamic and static stretching, especially when cold prior to exercise.

I'd say dynamic stretch before.