Smoking and Weight Loss

Options
prmaan
prmaan Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I smoke and I'm overweight. I know...I know...I'm the worst kind of obese person. I'm currently trying to get started with this whole taking back my body thing...and jeez, do I need to but I was just wondering if anyone started out with the same/similar circumstances.

I currently weigh 215 and I'd like to lose 75 pounds within the next year, more or less. I'm not trying to set unrealistic weight loss goals in terms of time but I'm trying to take it slow, 15-20 pounds at a time. I think I'm more terrified of losing it and gaining it back as I am getting started.
My biggest hurdle is I'm a smoker, about a pack a day smoker and I'd like to kick that habit as well because really, what's the point in looking great and still not feeling great because you smoke.
At 5'6" and 215, I'm not so overweight that I have mobility issues but because I smoke (on top of being out of shape) there's a whole lot of breathlessness and feelings of impending death when I try to be active.
My plan is to try and lose the first 15-20 pounds through mostly diet changes. I'm a horrible eater in terms of quality more than quantity so I'm hoping small changes can help kick this off. During this time is when I wanted to try to tackle quitting smoking.

I guess, I just need to know if anyone thinks this is realistic. I somewhat feel as if I should tackle one problem at a time because of fear I'll lose motivation if I fail at one or both. On the other hand, my personality is that of someone that works best under stress/pressure, but I don't know if that's a good way to handle this whole thing. My biggest dilemma is that I'm horribly depressed about my weight as this is the most I have ever weighed. Smoking needs to end ASAP but as smokers tend to experience, I fear the possible weight gain and thus more depression. AND what do folks do when depressed??? Most seem to indulge even more into their bad habits.

I know this has been excruciatingly long and I appreciate anyone who's taken the time to read it. I just really need some advice for anyone that has had to fight an addition on top of weight problems. I don't even care if someone says "Get your fat ashtray off that couch and stop whining!" :smile:

Replies

• I started in the same situation and did attempt to stop smoking and change my diet at the same time. This was NOT the best thing for me. My diet was crap and included about 1200 calories of just soda per day. I found that omitting both soda and nicotine was too much at once. I decided to start with the diet, add exercise, and once my body is adjusted some I will again tackle the smoking. My goal is to give myself another month, then quit smoking :)
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I started in the same situation and did attempt to stop smoking and change my diet at the same time. This was NOT the best thing for me. My diet was crap and included about 1200 calories of just soda per day. I found that omitting both soda and nicotine was too much at once. I decided to start with the diet, add exercise, and once my body is adjusted some I will again tackle the smoking. My goal is to give myself another month, then quit smoking :)

I had a very similar experience. I still smoke. Losing the weight was my first priority. Baby steps will get you there. Tackling it all at once is setting yourself up for failure, IMHO.
  • YoungGma29
    Options
    I am a lot like you in that I tend to want to do it all asap - full speed. I have just about as much weight to lose as you, and I am a smoker. I quit smoking at the same time I started with weight loss. Big mistake. I ended up gaining weight instead of losing. It was just too much at once and I found I was snacking all the time to keep from smoking. Plus the metabolism slows down too. So, I went back to smoking and am focused instead on the weight and exercise. I know the feeling that you might keel over and die while exercising. Take it slow. I have found that it has gotten much easier to exercise and still breathe and not feel like I might have a heart attack. I can even go upstairs at home now without being winded and feeling like I might not make it up. I figure that when I have lost enough weight that the lifestyle is now a habit, then I can quit smoking. Then I can use the exercise and activities to replace smokiing. Seems like a healthier way to quit anyway.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4' and I was 201 lbs when I started. I was also smoking a lot. Maybe half a pack a day, but for about 10 years. I was able to do it. I stopped smoking in April and haven't picked it up since. I did give myself a month to kick one habit before I started working on another part of myself, though, and maybe that made the difference. Too much stress on the body can make it extremely hard to keep going. I was afraid of the weight gain but I managed to do okay. I gained a couple of pounds, but nothing major. I've since lost those extra pounds and then some. My thought process was that I wanted to change my life. No more smoking, no more bad eating, more working out. Then later I plan to get my teeth whitened and start waxing lol. I thought that taking the harder things one by one would be easier, and it worked. I started out with smoking, since I thought the same as you - my smoking makes it hard to breathe and therefore work out. So I quit smoking first. I used those disposable electronic cigarettes for a week or so, then just stopped altogether. I've noticed my skin looks better now, too, in addition to being able to breathe a bit better and smelling better. Once I made it a month without smoking, I started on healthy eating. I struggle to eat healthy 100% of the time so I decided I would just monitor my portions and keep tracking everything. That has made a difference. Once I made it about a month of better eating, I saw some movement on the scale and was feeling better about everything. Then I started adding exercise, and after two months of not smoking and being down around 8 lbs, I felt more confident. Now, I've lost around 18 and haven't smoked in over 4 months. Try taking it one step at a time and see if it works for you. It might be a slower process, but my goal was to find a system that is sustainable, which I've now found. Best of luck to you!
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am a lot like you in that I tend to want to do it all asap - full speed. I have just about as much weight to lose as you, and I am a smoker. I quit smoking at the same time I started with weight loss. Big mistake. I ended up gaining weight instead of losing. It was just too much at once and I found I was snacking all the time to keep from smoking. Plus the metabolism slows down too. So, I went back to smoking and am focused instead on the weight and exercise. I know the feeling that you might keel over and die while exercising. Take it slow. I have found that it has gotten much easier to exercise and still breathe and not feel like I might have a heart attack. I can even go upstairs at home now without being winded and feeling like I might not make it up. I figure that when I have lost enough weight that the lifestyle is now a habit, then I can quit smoking. Then I can use the exercise and activities to replace smokiing. Seems like a healthier way to quit anyway.

I have to second this a bit too. Your being winded during exercise does have to do with smoking, but getting fitter will help immensely. I've run a couple 5k's, done half of the Insanity program (got injured so had to quit), and a Warrior Dash. I'm sure I would be a lot better if I didn't smoke, but I'm also sure that if I quit smoking and didn't workout and eat right that I STILL wouldn't be able to do those things.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to applaud you on your decision to quit smoking. No on besides a smoker can possibly understand how difficult it is. I quit a few months ago, and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I don't want to discourage you, but keep in mind that smoking keeps your heart rate elevated, so when you quit, your metabolism will slow down significantly for a lengthy adjustment period. Just prepare for it, and it will make your weight loss a bit easier. The good news is that you will see the multitude of benefits from quitting smoking very quickly. Good luck in all of your endeavors!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i quit,, i gained a pile more
    till i got it all outa my system,.
    now i am the best i have ever been
    so if i can do it
    you can do it.
    i still want to smoke thoi
    sigh...........
  • kershaann
    kershaann Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I started out in the same boat. I still smoke. I am down to one a day. I started with half to 3/4 a pack a day. I started diet and exercise first and limited my smokes a day start by taking one out a day and decrease that way. I also started with workouts that had some cardio, but nothing extreme. I started with the wii fit two. That was just enough cardio to start building up. Now I have done insanity 3 times and have done the insanity asylum 1 and 2. If you have questions or need anything I am always glad to help.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Prmaan. I don't smoke, but I want to give you a pot of gold for your will to want to quit smoking and lose weight. You are on the road to better health.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yup me.. I started as a smoker, 375 lbs. I didn't try and quit smoking and lose weight all at once, I started with the smoking and after 6 months started seeing a dietitian along with a physical therapist for back pain. Once I got my diet under control I joined a gym, now I go 5 days a week and mountain bike on the weekends.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke-free for a year. My top weight hit 200. I am only down to 185 now. I am not having much success with weight loss, but I am in MUCH better health. In 2 weeks, I run a 5 mile race with the confidence that I will finish. When I started training, I could not run 5 steps.

This summer has been the season of better health for me. I have made important life changes. I look forward to returning to a smaller size.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well I am fighting an addiction, but not to cigarettes. I am addicted to food.

My mother recently quit smoking, and she did it with the help of Chantrix. Do you think that could be an option for you?

I think it would be best to just have a talk with your Doctor and let him/her know of your goals and let them help you set goals, and I'm sure they can help you figure out what is best, as far as changing your lifestyle.

Good luck! :)
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I started where you are. I haven't quit smoking completely, but I have cut down considerably. I've been able to improve my fitness and breathing, but clearly the way to be completely healthy is to quit altogether. I'm down 22 lbs, and plan to quit by the end of the year.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day smoker for 32 years.
    I quit first, and focused on STAYING quit because the longest I had quit before was 6 months.
    After nearly a year, I worked on the weight.
    Each person is different, and this worked for me. Hit me up, I'd be happy to help in any way that I can.
  • prmaan
    prmaan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If nothing else your posts have confirmed to me that I'm probably in denial. I think I was laying all the blame on smoking because I didn't want to admit to myself my poor physical condition OR just looking an excuse not to exercise.

While I know quitting smoking would no doubt improve my overall condition, it is so motivational knowing there are others who have continued to smoke (but maybe cutting back) while including physical activity and had success. Whether is walking up steps or 5K runs, just hearing that it's possible is so reassuring.

I think some of you are correct, especially in my circumstance. Doing it all at once is probably setting myself up for failure at one or both. I'm glad some of you brought up the metabolism aspect of quitting as I hadn't given this much thought. If I tried to do it all and found myself gaining weight that I knew wasn't the good kind (muscle), I'd probably go on some psycho cigarette and Snickers binge and give up.

I'm pretty confident now that getting the whole lifestyle of eating better and exercising in place first would be more beneficial for my personal circumstances as I have tried to quit cold turkey, smoke aids, etc. and it just hasn't worked. I think I'm one of those who just has to get completely fed up with it and stop. I know with all additions one can't change until they're ready and I've hit that wall with my weight but am not quite there with smoking unfortunately. While I applaud those that were able to quit smoking first, I think I need to tackle the thing that makes me most miserable first and that is the weight. Plus, I'm hoping with a bit of success on the weight problem, it'll motivate me to take it all the way as overall health is ultimately my goal.

Saying you need to take it slow and doing it is sometimes my biggest flaw but I hope within the next year or so to have all the monkeys off my back.

Thank you all so much for your input as I was able to take away something relevant from every post.
  • whelpling
    Options
    I used to do the whole HEALTH KICK thing, and try to give up smoking, start a diet, run ten miles and align my chakras all on the same day. Never, ever worked for me.

I recalled a friend of mine who gave up smoking years ago, who'd been to her doctor because she was worried about weight gain. He basically said "you'd have to put on 70 lbs to get anywhere near the same damage you were doing to yourself with cigarettes". So with that in mind, I stopped smoking in January this year. It was completely miserable - which i'd told myself before doing it - and I agreed beforehand to let myself eat as much as I wanted for the first 2-3 weeks while i was dealing with the withdrawals.

Which I did. I ate SO much bad stuff! And then stopped eating all the "intentional extras". I waited until August to start my current diet (VLCD) because I wanted to be sure the habit was kicked and i wouldn't use nicotine as a crutch through my weight loss. Which is working well so far - and I have to say, the fact that I quit smoking gave me a confidence boost about my willpower too. I mean, if I can quit smoking, I can surely eat less and go for a few walks, right? :)

Good luck with it all!!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think if you are going to pick one to do first, smoking would be the better choice.

I quit smoking about a 15 months ago and started on here about 3 months after I quit, it worked amazing and I am in better health than ever. If you want to quit, dieting first can easily be an excuse to give yourself to put off. There is always an excuse to put it off, I know I did for years and years and hated myself for it.

Try an ecig if you haven't. Sounds like you have tried a lot of ways. I used one and it was the easiest way to stop smoking I ever experienced and I know many who have had the same discovery. It's not for everyone for me and my husband it was a godsend and both of our doctors are thrilled!

Another thing...there is NO reason you can't try to incorporate some healthier foods and some gentle exercise when quitting, this actually eases the stress of quitting a ton! Just don't put tons of pressure on yourself to lose X amount of weight in X period of time, that is not what you need.

Be kind and loving to yourself through the process whatever you decide! Good luck. :)
  • Emglyfolk
    Emglyfolk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, terrae326 has it right. Take it SLOW and do one thing at a time. I was a smoker - quite for 10 years and went back. I'm finally done with it - 5 years now...but I could go back in a heartbeat. (but won't). I fight it all the time. I would lower your weight loss interim goals. 20 to 25 pounds is a lot and can take a couple months to achieve. I target 10 pound 'chunks', this works for me as it doesn't discourage me. These are major life style changes, you want to find a sustainable pattern for you. You can do it.... one thing at a time!
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try going to electronic cigs first... still bad for you but "probably" not as bad. I say probably b/c the science hasn't caught up with the technology. That way, you're still getting the nicotine and the hand to mouth habit, but without the tar, smoke, etc... I still haven't completely quit with regular cigs, but I do often use my ecig instead. I did quit once with Chantix, but rationalized my way back into smoking "just socially" and it snowballed from there... *sigh* It's definitely harder to quit smoking than it is to lose weight!
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    I decide to give up smoking and get fit at the same time and it worked. I had bad cravings but found that by concentrating on my workouts getting fit helped me get over it and get fit quicker.

Good luck whatever you decide. :)
This discussion has been closed.