Do people treat you different after you've lost?

Options
Has anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight felt like people treated them differently after the loss?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't think it's actually due to my losing weight (about 40 Lbs), I think it's due more to the fact that I'm far more confident now than I was when I was bigger; people respond to confidence.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't think it's actually due to my losing weight (about 40 Lbs), I think it's due more to the fact that I'm far more confident now than I was when I was bigger; people respond to confidence.

Same! :)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    My husband's friend told me my butt was looking great. Weird. That's about as different as it's gotten in my life. I haven't lost A LOT of weight, but people have noticed. I get told I'm looking great and asked if I've lost weight, but no big changes in how I'm treated. But I agree with wolfman. I think that someone who experiences that kind of change is probably more confident, proud, and happy with themselves. So it's mirrored by the people in their life. I really believe that big changes like weight loss go beyond the mere physical changes.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    YES. People are A LOT nicer to me now. Especially guys. Sucks to say but its true.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

Men do in an "interested in you" way. Wow. That is different. But they don't in a friendly interaction sort of way - I think it's what cwolfman is saying above. I've always had confidence in a certain way, but lacked it in others that have changed since I've lost weight.

Some people I know respond to me differently. I have a few friends who treat me exactly the same now that they did before. I think this speaks more about who they are than anything about me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Has anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight felt like people treated them differently after the loss?

For me it's like 35 pounds, but yes, people do.

Some friends don't eff with me as much, and they all give respect for it.

So, that works for me.

For my mom, she lost a bunch and has kept it off, and her friends got super catty, so she dropped all of them and replaced them with newer, younger, slimmer and more active models.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    People I know treat me the same. I feel like strangers are friendlier, but they might just be responding to my positive attitude, as others have mentioned.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hells yeah. :huh:
    No longer being invisible to the general public, means no more tramping about running errands in ratty sweatpants & tanks :ohwell:

edited for punctuation
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yea women look at me more *****y! But i just keep my head up and go!:happy:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • fotosnflyrod
    Options
    No.
  • rage032
    Options
    I'm agreeing with the Wolfman on this one. It's my attitude towards myself that's changed and it reflects in interactions with people.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    There have been studies on this and as I recall they show that more attractive people tend to make more money than ugly people. So I think it's pretty plain that the more attractive you are you will probably have nicer social interactions overall.
  • jennylee133
    jennylee133 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

^^^ Very true! I was amazed to realize that people percieved me as confident because I certainly didn't feel that way but I agree...once I felt better about myself, others reacted to that very positively.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sad but true. All around people are much, much nicer. Much.
  • ashedw425
    Options
    Yes. Mostly on MFP. I feel like people are less supportive and less likely to respond to posts, blogs, etc. once you're down closer to your goal weight. Sad :-(
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with others- people are much nicer and more courteous. I get many more doors held open for me.

The flipside is I get some stink eye from other here and there. I haven't figured that one out, because I'm still chubby, not especially pretty and dress fairly conservatively.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with others- people are much nicer and more courteous. I get many more doors held open for me.

The flipside is I get some stink eye from other here and there. I haven't figured that one out, because I'm still chubby, not especially pretty and dress fairly conservatively.

This is exactly my experience. Doors held open, random looks and smiles or people just trying to strike up conversations. But i've also gotten the stink eye a couple times. Which sucks cuz im a really nice person actually :blushing:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed much of a difference. Maybe a little more flirting from random strangers but as others have pointed out, I think part of that is a more postivie attitude, more confidence. I'm not a big fan of the attention anyway so I tend to block a lot of it out and my friends or mother have to tell me when some guy is flirting with me or looking at me. I've got a husband, I don't need the extra attention!
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd say it has more to do with my confidence rather than my weight loss.