Constantly not getting enough calories!

Options
Hey everyone...I'm new to MFP and every night after I put my last entry in, I'm told that I need to eat more. I'm just really not hungry enough to put in the additional calories. I have NEVER had that problem before, it's usually the opposite - but I truly eat when I'm hungry. I am trying to eat sensible and stay away from fast food (although I had a chick-fil-a grilled chicken sandwich today), fried foods, sweets, and I only try to consume good fats. I did juice only for 8 days, but now I'm eating solids...I need more water and vegies in my diet, but other than that I'm really trying to eat cleaner. My schedule is a little off right now because I'm looking for jobs, so I usually don't start eating until around 10 am. Today, I did 2 classes and burned more calories than I consumed so I'm really at a deficit...I know that this isn't good because my body will go into starvation mode, but what do you do when you are really not hungry?

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't really have that problem - I can eat any time!

But try...

A handful of nuts. It's a healthy fat and a lot of protein.
    A piece of bread with peanut butter.
    A protein bar
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you've replaced any food with diet food, switch back. Example, reduced fat cheese, reduced calorie peanut butter or yogurt. Buy the full calorie stuff.
  • annie4dhokies
    annie4dhokies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Laurie! I am having the same problem too! I've been trying to read up on the whole "starvation mode"...I don't really know too much since I just started this past Monday...any advice from people who have lost 40-50+ pounds would be wonderful as that is my ultimate goal!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I know you're going to be told to make sure you're logging accurately and be aware of underestimating what you're eating and overestimating what you're burning, but I'm not going to take that approach. :embarassed:

Just looking at today's entry...
    You can eat larger portions of the foods you're eating.
    Like, this morning's breakfast for instance. You could've had twice as much egg beaters and added a few more veggies and some cheese to that mix. A piece of toast even.

or at lunch you could've added a side salad with a light dressing of your choice or serving of fruit to your sandwich.
    Added a few more slices of ham to your sandwich at dinner. Steamed or sauteed some veggies in a li'l olive oil on the side? Had some tomato soup with that sandwich.

Any of that sound feasible?
  • alyhinds
    alyhinds Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too go through times where I feel that I can't get enough calories. Of course there are times that I feel I can't eat enough! I have lost a significant amount of weight, more than I have ever thought I would. The best thing is to make sure you are getting the right amounts of GOOD foods for you. You can eat badly and still lose weight, but your body isn't using that gross food for fuel. Giving your body the right kind of fuel will help even more. Lean meats, whole grains, LOTS of fruits and veggies. AND TONS OF WATER! And making sure that you get the minimum amount of calories is the best. This is because your body, if eating less than the minimum, will go into starvation mode. That means that ANY sort of nutrition you put into your body will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it will not see food for awhile. It will not get the fuel it needs to actually burn your fat off, it will just store it. PLEASE eat the minimum! If you are measuring your food and making sure to log it all (including coffee creamer and the oil you saute in) it adds up pretty darn quick! Just be sure to ADD IT ALL :) Good luck and I hope that you are able to get more in!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I too go through times where I feel that I can't get enough calories. Of course there are times that I feel I can't eat enough! I have lost a significant amount of weight, more than I have ever thought I would. The best thing is to make sure you are getting the right amounts of GOOD foods for you. You can eat badly and still lose weight, but your body isn't using that gross food for fuel. Giving your body the right kind of fuel will help even more. Lean meats, whole grains, LOTS of fruits and veggies. AND TONS OF WATER! And making sure that you get the minimum amount of calories is the best. This is because your body, if eating less than the minimum, will go into starvation mode. That means that ANY sort of nutrition you put into your body will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it will not see food for awhile. It will not get the fuel it needs to actually burn your fat off, it will just store it. PLEASE eat the minimum! If you are measuring your food and making sure to log it all (including coffee creamer and the oil you saute in) it adds up pretty darn quick! Just be sure to ADD IT ALL :) Good luck and I hope that you are able to get more in!

There's no such thing as 'gross food'. The so called gross food does indeed get used by the body. Food is food. The only thing that is bad is the quantity that is consumed. Everything in moderation.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    If you're not hungry , then you're not hungry. I understand the whole starvation mode thing, but i don't feel you should have to force yourself to eat. Your body knows when its full, and it know when it needs food. So imo I dont think its healthy to eat just because you can.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more nutrient dense food to ease your conscience.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Throw in some nuts and replace some of the diet items with regular ones, give yourself the option occasionally. BTW your Diary looks awesome. Food and Exercise , way to go.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with a dietician at the local hospital because we were worried about how far under my spouse was falling. He suggested adding healthy snacks into the mix. You said you were busy looking for work and it looks like you occasionally skip a meal or two (I am guilty of the same if I am not careful.) Try premeasuring some snacks that you can carry with you. He also told us not to worry too much since it appeared that she was simply not eating back all of her exercise calories. It looked like maybe that was happening to you as well. He said that as long as she felt good and had plenty of energy then everything was fine. Cautioned us that we needed to up her calories though if she stopped feeling good or her energy levels dropped.
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry , then you're not hungry. I understand the whole starvation mode thing, but i don't feel you should have to force yourself to eat. Your body knows when its full, and it know when it needs food. So imo I dont think its healthy to eat just because you can.

I agree with you totally and BTW congrats!1 on your journey!1 WTG
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Most days I end up low on calories, carbs, and fats but over on sodium and fiber. Beer tends to be my answer. One or two pints puts me at the right levels and kicks up my appetite so I can stuff in some calcium and fruits.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Cook the egg beaters in a bit of butter or oil or use whole eggs instead. Snack on some almonds or cashews. Use full fat mayo instead of light. Add more meat and/or cheese to sandwiches. Sometimes I use hummus as a spread then top it with the rest of my sandwich making stuff.
  • lauriejan17
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your comments and I'm hopefully going to put the good advice to work! Kind of new to this game, so I just saw everyone's responses today! I appreciate ya'll and hope you have a good one!
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to do much of the same things you have been (minus the juicing although I'm intrigued about trying it!!!)

Although I try to avoid most sweets, if I'm going to be under on my calories for the day, I eat a couple squares of ghirardelli dark chocolate--the really dark stuff.

There's not nearly as much sugar in it and studies have shown that chocolate has a lot of other health benefits :) Plus I love getting to have a little treat at the end of a day!