Is this normal?

Options
When I ride the recumbent bike at the gym, I usually do about 7 miles at an average speed of 10 mph. My heart rate average is 162 with a considerable amount of time between 170-175. I'm 45 year old female, not overweight, but a bit out of shape. I'm wondering if this is normal because I never see anyone else at the bikes beside me getting anywhere near this high and they seem to be working a lot harder than I am. They typically top out in the 120s while I start at 120-125 before I even start pedaling and can't get back there during the five minute cool down period at the end. Should I slow myself down enough to stay in the 140s? If I do that, I really feel like I don't get a workout at all.

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing just fine, no need to slow down;)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's pretty unusual to get that high of a HR from moderate-intensity recumbent exercise. You might want to run it by your doctor just to be safe. Do you smoke or take medication?
  • karenmint
    karenmint Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked. I am on levothyroxine for my thyroid, but I just recently had the annual thyroid bloodwork done and it's right where it needs to be. I have a chronic pain condition which may be contributing to this, but it just seems really high to me. When I try to do the elliptical, even extremely slowly, my heart rate goes up into the 180s within five minutes so I've been avoiding it and sticking to the bike. I'm just wondering if I'm doing any damage to myself by maintaining such a high heart rate for 40 minutes straight.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Prob a combination of having a crap vo2max from being out of shape and having a naturally high heart rate. Not uncommon. Your hr will go down as u improve your conditioning. But prob best to check with a doc to make sure no other factors at play as well.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if I'm doing any damage to myself by maintaining such a high heart rate for 40 minutes straight.

Not usually in a healthy person, but if it's abnormally high due to medical reasons, then maybe. It definitely is NOT normal to get into the 180s from going very slowly on the elliptical. Since you're at the age when heart and other medical problems start cropping up, you should tell your doctor about your HR.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It does seem pretty high in my book too. For example, I did intervals on the recumbent bike over the weekend. I did 30 seconds of fast, and 60 minutes of rest for about 20 minutes with 5 min on either end for a warm up. Fast was 18-23 mph. Heart rate hit 160s then, and averaged 138 or so for the whole workout.

I am heavier than you at about 213 now, 35, and also hypothyroid.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Your resting hr should be less than 100, maybe check w your doctor.