The Abdomen And The Older Woman

Options
Hi. I am 52. I have done a lot of stomach work, and probably have great muscles under the fat, but nobody can tell. Wondering if any of you older women, especially those who have had children, have actually manged to get to the point of being able to see their stomach muscles?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh yeah baby
    I KICK *kitten*!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and have 3 children. Profile pic is how I look after a year of lifting weights.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and have been at goal weight since March. I'm a size 2 or a size 4, and still have belly fat/skin that just isn't going anywhere. My doc said surgery is really my only alternative. My situation isn't drastic enough to justify this. You can tighten up what's underneath, but you can't undo skin damage from pregnancy and excessive weight for a lengthy period of time.

My suggestion is to focus on being at your best health and try to let go of the fact that we aren't 22 anymore and we're gonna have a little more tummy than we'd hoped for. Keep at that ab work!
  • DebbieYodamom
    Options
    I'm 51 and had 3 children. I have been doing 100 sit-ups and other abdominal exercises for almost 6 months. I still have a layer of fat on my stomach (40+ pounds to lose) but I can feel hard solid underneath and I can see the lines down the side of my stomach well defined now. I have hope that as the layer of fat lessens I'll see some light ridges. My abdomen is my #1 goal, to get it flat and lined. I have seen others do it I know we can too. Good luck to you while you keep working towards your goal
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm getting close. I can just now begin to see the vertical line that runs down the center of the body, and I'm seeing the lower abs starting show a "V". I'm at 20.8% body fat. The key is getting your body fat very low. I'm shooting for 17-18%, that should be low enough to show some ab definition.

At this stage, for me, it is all about diet. I've been off the wagon for a couple of weeks, but am getting back to it starting today. I'm aiming for 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am 44 (45 tomorrow) and even though my stomach muscles are like steel (I can hold a grown man standing on them), I still have the baby carriage from thee pregnancies.

I am more fit now than I have ever been though because I don't smoke any more, and I try to stay pretty active. Youth is definitely wasted on the young though.

I am taking time to admire the lines I've picked up on the edges though. :D
  • chargers8709
    chargers8709 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have finally made progress with my abs. As we all know
    when you get older it is even harder! Mine has really been more of
    a journey. I have done both Turbo Fire and Insanity with very good
    results. I would highly recommend either one. Also don't forget good
    food choices is most important. As Chalene says, "At any age you can
    be fit."
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I am only (!) 31, but I have had 2 children. I have butted in on this thread to say that the baby pouch is well and truly gone, and my tummy looks as good as it ever did as a teenager. I work my core extensively and intensively. Hoping that if I keep it up there will be no deterioration :)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Running has helped me to really get some ab definition. My upper abs and obliques are awesome, love them. I can see an outline of my abs and the lower ones are my headache, however they are starting to slim down. I really started to see a difference in my lower abs when I started doing one minute plank holds and knee lifts. I wish I had access to the captain's chair to do those leg lifts. I have one daughter and am slowly approaching forty. I feel like you can get there it is just a slow process that takes patience and really healthy eating.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I'm 54, had 2 children, and my profile pic is me currently. I'm at about 20% body fat. Ive been maintaining now for over a year. Like an above poster mentioned, it's about getting body fat down, so you can see those abs. Sounds like you have been working on a strong core which is a great thing!

I only had 40 pounds to lose when I started, but it left me with a small poochy area on my lower belly that seems to want to stay around not getting tight! Not sure whether that's because I'm older and have gone through menopause, leaving less tight skin in general, or if I just need more time. I don't care though and wear bikini swimsuits because it is just fun to do that!

Anyways, just keep dong what you are doing!
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You look great for 54 from the picture, good for oyou!
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I'm 54, had 2 children, and my profile pic is me currently. I'm at about 20% body fat. Ive been maintaining now for over a year. Like an above poster mentioned, it's about getting body fat down, so you can see those abs. Sounds like you have been working on a strong core which is a great thing!

I only had 40 pounds to lose when I started, but it left me with a small poochy area on my lower belly that seems to want to stay around not getting tight! Not sure whether that's because I'm older and have gone through menopause, leaving less tight skin in general, or if I just need more time. I don't care though and wear bikini swimsuits because it is just fun to do that!

Anyways, just keep dong what you are doing!

You look amazing! I am 47, 3 children, and have about 40 PDS to lose. Do you mind if I friend you? Would love to see what you ate in a typical day.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can see my stomach muscles. For some reason, that is not where I have much carried weight. My skin is not what it used to be after a child at 40, but who expects to look 20 years younger than they really are? No special exercises, just fat loss and general toning.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I do NOT think of her as an "older" woman, which is why I didn't think to comment when I saw this post earlier... but all the talk about abs got me thinking... you should look up Sarauk2sf. She's 46 with abs that I would basically kill for. :wink:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm never going to look like I'm young again. That is so annoying to me because when I was young and slim I didn't live as if I was. I didn't wear bikinis, and always thought I didn't look very good.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 50s and because I have large fibroids that make me look like I have a 14 week pregnancy, my abs will never be flat or show until I get them removed.

My plan is to lose all the weight first and then have a hysterectomy and then tummy tuck.
  • Unknownjoy
    Unknownjoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching 40 and am fitter than I've been since I got married 15 yrs ago. But 3 kids later and I'm also a bit discouraged -- I have abs but loose skin on top.
    Plus, will my belly button ever get back to looking not so stretched out?
    :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!