No Carbs for weight loss???

Options
Has anyone stopped eating carbs and had a successful weight loss?
Im just wondering because i stopped eating carbs and lost 10lbs but when ever i eat carbs i feel sick for at least two days and Im just wondering if anyone is having those same problems and what they did to prevent getting sick from eating carbs?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Why did you stop eating carbs?
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    I felt sick eating carbs
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I felt sick eating carbs
    If this is something that was a problem before dieting, fair enough. One of my buddies has a gluten allergy and had to give up some carbs... mind you, they can scarf down all the rice they please among other things so it's not a blanket ban.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I felt sick eating carbs

So, you felt sick before dieting when you ate carbs? Or you cut out carbs to lose weight and then felt sick when you added them back?

It's normal to be uncomfortable when reintroducing foods you have been restricting - and some people have gluten or lactose intolerance: so if you had stopped them and restarted and you had intolerances, you would feel symptoms.

By "carbs" do you mean ALL carbs? So, vegetables, fruit, grain, dairy, nuts? You completely cut carbs? That sounds like a medical issue outside the reach of this site.

Or are you saying you ate some carbs, but maybe eliminated bread and cereals, etc.?
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing carb cycling rather than no carb or you'll mess with your thyroid (metabolism) function. Even those on the Keto diet have carb up days to restore glycogen and hormones. Unless you have a medical issue I wouldn't recommend the no carb deal. Carbs are not the enemy society made them out to be.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    carbs are fuel that you need.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    do you feel sick after eating every single source of carbs or just particular sources?
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are the main energy source for our body. :/ We need them.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat 80% carbs and im eating more and losing more than i did before,
    mind you all those carbs mainly come from fruit but still
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My carb intake is pretty low probably under 30 grams a day or so. you lose weight when you restrict carbs. but I've been on low carb for a long time. reducing carbs typically results in weight loss. cutting back on carbs alone is much more effective than managing calories alone.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in elimination diets unless there is a food you absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt you can't use self control when eating (like me with Skittles). Deprivation just causes binges, in my personal experience (your experience may be different). Carbs are a natural part of the food pyramid and unless you have allergies to healthy carbs, I'd advise against cutting them out.
  • angies276
    Options
    it sounds like celiacs or wheat intolerance. I have celiacs and I get deathly sick when I eat anything with wheat, even cross contamination hurts me. Gluten free diet will help.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can't even prettend to live without carbs. What kind did you cut off?
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My carb intake is pretty low probably under 30 grams a day or so. you lose weight when you restrict carbs. but I've been on low carb for a long time. reducing carbs typically results in weight loss. cutting back on carbs alone is much more effective than managing calories alone.

No you lose weight when there's a deficit in your calories.
  • DietchiefMugera
    Options
    I drastically reduced my carb intake a couple of years ago and lost 20kgs in just over 3 and a half months. Have managed to keep it off since as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    "carbs" are a pretty broad spectrum of foods. What carbs exactly did you eliminate? All carbs? Do you eat fruit and veg (carbs)?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    By "carbs" do you mean ALL carbs? So, vegetables, fruit, grain, dairy, nuts? You completely cut carbs? That sounds like a medical issue outside the reach of this site.

Or are you saying you ate some carbs, but maybe eliminated bread and cereals, etc.?

My questions, too.

I think some people feel sick when they eat carbs because they eat too many, so they cut all of them out..All or Nothing mentality?

"I used to eat 3 bagels, a pot of rice, and 2 loaves of bread every day and felt sick & bloated. It must be That carbs are bad for me! "

(Well, my teen son eats like that anyway...)

But some people are more carb sensitive. I found I am sensitive to water gain with "too many" grain carbs. But decided, that it's just water gain and nothing to banish bagels for overall.

And some have gluten sensitivities.

Try to pinpoint what's causing your carb sensitivity, if you can.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    My sil has lost ALOT of weight doing the no to low carb diets, one time he lost 85 lbs the problem is as soon as he dtarts eating carbs again it makes him sick for awhile then he gains back the weight. You need to find something you can live with. There are several of my friends who have also lost alot of weight doing low carbs all of them have gained back the weight
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have all sorts of problems--digestive and otherwise--when I eat gluten, so I stopped eating anything with gluten in it. I also have issues with my blood sugar--I'm insulin resistant. So I've had to totally change my concept of dessert and such, too. I still eat carbs, but in the form of fruits and veggies rather than grains and refined sugars. Problem solved, pretty much.

I don't lose weight because of those changes, though. I lose weight because I eat less calories than my body consumes each day. I have had several diet breaks, and I still keep to my low carb, gluten free style of eating. I just eat bigger portions. I do not lose weight when I eat at maintenance.

If you haven't already, I really think you should see a doctor about your nausea--get yourself tested for whatever conditions he or she recommends. It's not normal to feel ill when one eats a certain macronutrient.