What Does "DIET" Mean to you?

Options
2»

Replies

• sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    A diet to me is food intake, not a negative word. I haven't cut anything out of my life, so when I talk about my diet, I mean it in a sense of what I am eating.

This for me as well
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    To me the word diet mostly means the food consumed by a group of people within a culture or by the people of a country, as in " a kosher diet" or " the Spanish diet ".
    Since I have been here in MFP, I have started to call it " cuisine ", since so many people use the word diet so interchangeably.
    When I studied nutrition we were told to use the word " regimen " or " diet plan " when it comes to a more personal way of eating. Admittedly that was a couple of decades ago and now might be obsolete.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't use the word "diet" as a word to describe depriving myself in any way. My 'diet' is what I eat every day to fuel my body for whatever activities I'm going to participate in. If I'm going to sit at my desk most of the day, I need less fuel than if I'm going to do a 60 minute workout before work and be on my feet all day. My diet consists of meat, vegetables, fruits, dairy, breads and pasta, and desserts. A 'proper diet' has to have limits or you will gain weight, but it doesn't have to mean restriction, deprivation, starvation, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Meh, without dieting I would have been obese at an early age. I come from a long family history of obesity and overeating.

What "DIET" means to me is breaking the family cycle. It means having my 52nd birthday with no bone loss, no diabetes, no high BP or cholesterol, no daily meds, no risk factors that I can control. It means being able to keep up with my grandkids. It meas wearing clothes I feel pretty in. It means a healthy sex life. It means health and happiness.

DIET may be "die" with a "t". But that T is what keeps me alive. For me, DIET means LIVING instead of just being alive.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The way people use it out there, a 'diet' is a special way of eating, anything out of the ordinary. People say "I'm on a diet" all the time as a shortcut. Even though technically any manner of eating can be called a diet, I try to avoid the word due to its negative connotation. When people ask me what I do to lose weight, I say that I count my calories.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I use the word "diet" in two ways:

1) My diet - meaning my dietary habits/requirements/choices

or

2) I am on a diet - meaning, I have restricted my calorie intake in order to lose weight.

That is all that little four little word means to me and I place no more emphasis on it that is needed.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Some people will say to keep away from diets with a name... That's what I think of as a captital D diet. Paleo, southbeach, Atkins, etc...

I've been on diets before and as soon as I stopped depriving myself of what ever was taken away to make a named diet my efforts were for naught.

In my current diet (lower case d and I'm not on any kind of a Diet) the only restriction is the amount of whatever I eat, but I eat whatever,

I can do this for the rest of my life. I was only able to eat vegetarian so long, and while I still follow a lot of the tenants of south beach I dont fear sugar or anything else it disallowed, I just don't go crazy.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Diet is a noun. Everyone on the planet that consumes food or drink has a diet.

We will all have a diet for the remainder of our lives-assuming we continue to consume food or drink for the remainder of our lives.

The food/drink choices that make up that diet can either be something we view as maintainable forever, or some short-term deprivation. Those of us choosing to adapt long-term maintainable eating habits (regardless of what those are) still have a diet.

My "plan" is to eat in a way that allows me to maintain the proper caloric intake for my weight/activity level while getting the appropriate macro & micro nutrients. That is my diet. Forever.

Yes, this. The way diet is defined in the original post is actually correct, but incomplete. When I refer to "my diet" in the sense of definition number one, below, it simply means the food and drink I take in, regardless of content, quality or quantity.

In regard to the the post, however, yes....I am not "on a diet."

di·et1
    ˈdī-it/Submit
    noun
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    "a vegetarian diet"
    synonyms: selection of food, food, foodstuffs; More
    a regular occupation or series of activities in which one participates.
    "a healthy diet of classical music"
    a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
    "I'm going on a diet"
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the deactivated OP from 2 1/2 years ago will ever come back to read this?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the deactivated OP from 2 1/2 years ago will ever come back to read this?

nice catch lol
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

lol!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    di·et1
    ˈdī-it/Submit
    noun
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    "a vegetarian diet"
    synonyms: selection of food, food, foodstuffs; More
    a regular occupation or series of activities in which one participates.
    "a healthy diet of classical music"
    a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
    "I'm going on a diet"

When I speak of my "diet", I mean both of those. For decades now whenever someone sees my food and asks if I'm on a diet*, I answer "Always." Because it's true.

*I always find it rather sad how often I get asked that, though.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Do I Eat Today

It's a stupid word with stupid connotations...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    "Diet" is a noun...your diet is simply comprised of what you eat. Your diet can be for **** and nutritionally void...or it can be awesome, delicious, and nutritious.

^^^^ This

Remember to be careful how you empower words, because they are after all, just words.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I've been on diets before and as soon as I stopped depriving myself of what ever was taken away to make a named diet my efforts were for naught.

Don't you mean as soon as you started eating in a surplus? If you stop a fad diet you will gain, that's true but you can also stop watching your calories and you will gain. I used to restrict carbs but with the help of the forum I realized I didn't have to, so rather than throw in the towel I changed my plan. There's a difference.