Sacred Heart Diet

Options
Hello all! I was curious if anybody has heard of the Sacred Heart Diet or has tried it? I am currently on day two and have lost 2 pounds so far! I would love to hear others variations of the diet and their experiences with it. Thanks! :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    wasnt that diet designed for morbidly obese patients to lose weight quickly before surgery?
  • eckartkc1112
    eckartkc1112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe so, but I feel great doing it! You are apparently supposed to lose 10-17 pounds by the end of the week.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I believe so, but I feel great doing it! You are apparently supposed to lose 10-17 pounds by the end of the week.

What happens at the end of the week?
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Oh, another diet I have never heard of.

Do you eat like a nun?
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Can you eat hearts that aren't sacred?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Wait. You want to lose 22 pounds, but you are doing a diet designed for morbidly obese patients? :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Extreme calorie deficit...........................sure you can lose weight. But sticking to that regimen for life is a different story. And hence why weight regain is likely to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TavistockToad
    Options

as long as you understand that as a morbidly obese person who has over 100lb of fat to lose can lose 10-17lbs in a week, a person who only has 20lb of fat to lose all together cannot....
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    From the website: "This 7 day eating plan can be used as often as you like. If correctly followed, it will clean out your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well being."

It's an "Eat all of the magic soup that you want" type of diet.

ETA: Seriously??
    "DAY SEVEN
    Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and veggies, again, be sure to stuff yourself and eat the soup. You can add cooked veggies to your rice if you wish."
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Oh, another diet I have never heard of.

Do you eat like a nun?

i think its cabbage soup diet-ish....
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in a week is only water and will come back as soon as you eat again. It's not actually fat loss. Sorry.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydiet.org/diet/sacred-heart-diet

Diet Not Endorsed by a Hospital

This diet is not recommended
    The Sacred Heart Hospital in Montreal Canada (Hôpital Sacre Coeur) issued a press release in 2004 stating that “no nutritionist at the Hospital took part in the development of this diet”.
    The American Heart Association have claimed that the diet is phony.
    The Sacred Heart Medical Center also disclaim any association with the diet.
    While people have reported losing a lot of weight on The Sacred Heart Diet, it is not a diet that will promote long-term healthy weight loss.

Most people gain the weight back quickly and have to keep repeating fad diets like this over and over again.

Diets that become a lifestyle teach portion control, address emotional eating issues, and are not very restrictive.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I "lose" 2lbs and generally go back up the same 2lbs throughout any given week.

If it says diet, don't do it. :tongue:

These types of eating plans are not sustainable, and generally not healthy for ya either. As others have said, any weight you lose is pretty much water weight, and will come right back as soon as you go back to regular eating.

Much better off entering your info and goals accurately and realistically here at MFP, logging food and exercise, and work on healthy habits you can stick to for life. Eat well, exercise, drink water, get good rest, repeat. Skip the fad diets.
  • 06fusion4us
    Options
    I started this yesterday for specific reasons. I recently have had spikes in my BP and I have had a couple of weeks with no weight loss. I am overweight, not morbid by definition, but dam close. My body adjusted to the changes I have been and it needs a a temporary modification. During these 7 days I am NOT going to the gym. I make walk around the neighborhood, but that is it.

I DO NOT intend to continue this past day seven or do it again. My doctor looked at it and agreed that a one time run with it will be OK. She was adamant about not doing it a second week.

I chose this to spark my system and take in the amount of vegetables this requires. I already drink way more than the amount of water necessary, so I am not worried about the water loss.

As with any diet, they are temporary. The only permanent resolution is a lifestyle change. Good Luck and do what you think is the right thing for your body. Always seek professional advice if you have questions.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    To lose 10 pounds of fat in a week, you'd need a deficit of 5,000 calories per day and you'd need 161 pounds of body fat.

On the few days I have burned more than 5,500 calories there is no way I could have done so had I only consumed 500-1,000 calories.

I expect most of the weight lost will be water and muscle, since it appears low calorie and virtually zero/low protein at least 5 days out of 7.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a pot in my fridge right now but I'm not using it the way that was intended. I have done it before and I lost water weight but... that was all and it isn't lasting unless you have a back up plan of healthy eating and exercise ready to roll after your seven days. I view it as a low calorie meal that can take the place of a typical lunch or dinner. With any luck you may find that seven days is a good amount of time to refocus on your goals and maybe steer you away from the bad carbs/sugar a bit. In order for that to happen for me, I had to refrain from drinking juice as one of the options. The other thing is that it usually takes a few weeks to make a concrete change so this is really more of a good jumping off point. Good luck, I hope you feel fantastic with all of the fresh veges!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    wasnt that diet designed for morbidly obese patients to lose weight quickly before surgery?

It actually was not.

This "diet" goes by a number of misleading names that make it sound like it associated to a reputable organization. - the AHA (American Heart Association), Birmingham Hospital diet, Cleveland Clinic diet even the military diet.
    None of these organizations have been found to use it. Some have even released public statements denouncing the diet.

It is a crash diet. Not endorsed by any reputable organization. Personally I'd weary of anything that tried that hard to convince me it's good.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydiet.org/diet/sacred-heart-diet

Diet Not Endorsed by a Hospital

This diet is not recommended
    The Sacred Heart Hospital in Montreal Canada (Hôpital Sacre Coeur) issued a press release in 2004 stating that “no nutritionist at the Hospital took part in the development of this diet”.
    The American Heart Association have claimed that the diet is phony.
    The Sacred Heart Medical Center also disclaim any association with the diet.
    While people have reported losing a lot of weight on The Sacred Heart Diet, it is not a diet that will promote long-term healthy weight loss.

Most people gain the weight back quickly and have to keep repeating fad diets like this over and over again.

Diets that become a lifestyle teach portion control, address emotional eating issues, and are not very restrictive.

Did one of these two prescribe it?

m840-carte-identification-card-id-scrubs-1285689569.jpg