Hi! I am new, and have PCOS.

Options
I am new here. I am a PCOS sufferer and trying to lose weight. For those that do not know what that is, it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is where your ovaries will produce a cyst instead of releasing an egg. It is insulin resistant, excessive androgen hormone producing, and nearly impossible to lose weight. I was lucky and have been able to have one child. Most have to do hormone therapy of some sort to get pregnant. I call my son my little miracle. Thank you for welcoming me to this forum!
Erica

Replies

• KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Erica! I am new to this forum as well and I was glad to see your story!

I am 20 years old and also suffer from PCOS. I have been married now for 2 1/2 years and I am starting to really understand what this disease is doing to my body. Although we are not yet ready to have kids, I am certain it is going to be a long haul.

So I am here to lose weight, get to know my body and really learn to treat it well. I have turned watching what I eat and excersizing into hobbies instead of a "diet" which I believe is the only way I'm getting through!

So happy to hear you have your son after all that you have gone through with PCOS.

Hope to get to know you,
    Kay
  • bigred727
    Options
    hey... im touched by your story... if you have any questions, need anything, just message me... be happy to help the best i can...
  • Reign
    Reign Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! I AM A PERSON WHO LIVES WITH PCOS AS WELL. I DO NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN, DO STRUGGLE WITH WEIGHT AND INSULIN RESISTANCE. FEEL FREE TO ADD ME AS A SUPPORT FRIEND.
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Reign - I hope I am not over stepping any boundaries but I was wondering; Do you not have children because of choice or because of the struggles you face with conception because of PCOS? If it's because of the struggles.. how long have you been trying and what's your story? :)

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Kay
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Hey Erica - welcome to MFP you will find no end of support here.

I too suffer from PCOS. Unfortunately for us I have a chronic case coupled with an auto immune disease which means that even with years of treatment we were never able to conceive our own. I was kept on metformin for 6 years but finally came off it this year. I was worried that my insulin resistance would then make it impossible to lose weight but I have to say since discovering a paleolithic way of eating ( I am not on a diet I just changed my eating habiits) and learning to love exercise the weight is falling off and staying off. After one month eating this way and exercising my cycle length was down by 2 days and within a normal range. I do not suffer from the tiredness that I did previously and I have to say I feel the best I have done in years.

Good luck on your journey. And if anyone has any questions about PCOS I am more than happy to answer them :) xxx
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello I was dignosed in May 2010, there are some great sites that I have linked with my My fittness pal,

www.pcoschallenge.com

www.soulcysters.com

www.pcossupport.org

I use these sites for support groups, and I just started MFP. I was using sparks but it seemed so much work as for here it was easier to log in my info. I have been ttc for two years, but I was told to lose weight. I have a normal cycle, i have been a little longer sometimes, but I am always been 26-33 days. I am also looking to do herbal supplements instead of the Metformin, I have heard it does not settle well with some people. I would love to to stay in touch and support everyone as I am looking for support to lose weight and have a miracle someday.