To eat or not to eat! Help!

Options
So I've totally messed up my day. Just weighed myself after work and I'm down a pound :) yay!! (I've been stuck at the same weight for nearly a week). Problem is, I've not had dinner yet and now really don't want too as I don't want to be back up on the scales tomorrow as I've got a big night out on Friday!

I know it sounds crazy as that one pound isn't going to make a difference to how I'll look and if I've lost more inches then it won't affect that either BUT I would feel better in myself if I'm down on the scales. Help!

Replies

• FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    By your 2nd paragraph, I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this. Eat dinner in your allotted calories. Perhaps eat something low sodium if you're worried about water weight. Eating a meal isn't going to make you gain weight over night.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Stay under your allowed calories and you should be fine.
  • alanastar3
    Options
    Yea reading that back I think I more or less answered my own question lol just needed some reassurance I think. :)

Learned my lesson though. No more mid day weigh ins!!

Thanks guys
  • iceflow
    iceflow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would eat and as others have said try and stay within your daily calorie goal. If you start skipping meals you may mess up tomorrow.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    So I've totally messed up my day. Just weighed myself after work and I'm down a pound :) yay!! (I've been stuck at the same weight for nearly a week). Problem is, I've not had dinner yet and now really don't want too as I don't want to be back up on the scales tomorrow as I've got a big night out on Friday!

I know it sounds crazy as that one pound isn't going to make a difference to how I'll look and if I've lost more inches then it won't affect that either BUT I would feel better in myself if I'm down on the scales. Help!
    You're seriously overthinking things. This is one reason why it's best not to weigh at different times of the day. You can't let what the scale says dictate whether or not you eat dinner. In no way is your big night out on Friday going to be affected by having dinner tonight. (Unless your big night out involves you being a contestant on the Biggest Loser or something). Try to look at the bigger picture. Don't let that number dictate how you feel about yourself either. You're doing the work, the weight is coming off. Eat your dinner. :flowerforyou:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Be realistic. If you're having a big night out you're almost guaranteed to gain at least a pound of water weight. I've gained as much as 5 lbs of water weight for one celebratory meal and a cocktail - and I managed to stay under maintenance calorie limits.

Just accept that this will happen, and if seeing the number on the scale will bother you, don't weigh yourself until next week Friday. By then the water should have come back off.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you start weighing throughout the day, you will find your weight varies by 3 to 6 pounds -- in a regular day! So, don't sweat the small stuff. It's especially the case in younger women during the month. Look at the long term trends. Consider the fact that you thought this as the problem that you need to work on rather than the weight. "Gee, look at what I'm thinking. I shouldn't be leading myself astray like this. Self, what's up?" We all have crazy ideas we entertain on occasion. As long as we don't start habitually acting on them, it's okay.
  • alanastar3
    Options
    That's my dinner in the oven :) still have 800 cals to use and still a work out to do!

I'm a terrible one for over thinking things. While I'm getting replies on here does anyone have any advice on the best alcohol to drink while dieting. I really like vodka and cranberry but I think the cranberry is full of calories and don't like diet coke :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so often...seriously.

Try once a week...not daily or multiple times a day...not sure what you want to loose but being the same weight for a week is normal...maybe even 2.......
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Try vodka and a flavored seltzer water, I think they may even make a cranberry flavored one. Or you can always do soda water and see if you can't find a cranberry flavoring (like those sqeezable ones, MIO, ect) and try that.
  • alanastar3
    Options
    I'm usually really good and only way on a Friday. But I felt a difference in my dress for work today so had a cheeky wee look won't happen again lol.

And I like vodka, soda water and lime cordial :) could maybe just stick to that?
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I will repeat some great advice I saw here about six weeks ago...the scale is a dirty, dishonest *kitten*.

I get on the scale every morning so I feel your pain and know how frustrating it can be but remember to measure your success with other variables - inches, energy level, how your wardrobe is fitting, skin tone, et cetera.

Keep eating - it's good for you!
  • alanastar3
    Options
    I will repeat some great advice I saw here about six weeks ago...the scale is a dirty, dishonest *kitten*.

I get on the scale every morning so I feel your pain and know how frustrating it can be but remember to measure your success with other variables - inches, energy level, how your wardrobe is fitting, skin tone, et cetera.

Keep eating - it's good for you!

This really made me giggle. What a perfect description of the scales :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I like to fast,
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day and even weekly. Stay under calories consistently and you will continue to lose.
    Stay Calm and Eat Dinner.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself daily. It's going to fluctuate EVERYDAY and throughout the day. Just eat at your BMR or above and you'll keep losing. Obsessing won't help.
  • sharitapita
    sharitapita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week, first thing in the morning. I feel I get a more accurate idea of my weight this way and don't notice those little fluctuations.
  • rhonda4444
    rhonda4444 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I killed a dishonest, dirty scale once. I got on and it LIED to me telling me I had gained some pounds when I had been good all week. I kicked it to death!!!!! Liar that is was!!!!!
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's my dinner in the oven :) still have 800 cals to use and still a work out to do!

I'm a terrible one for over thinking things. While I'm getting replies on here does anyone have any advice on the best alcohol to drink while dieting. I really like vodka and cranberry but I think the cranberry is full of calories and don't like diet coke :(

If you're going out ask if htey have sugar free/light cranberry juice. If you're making it yourself, buy sugar free cranberry juice :)
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself daily. It's going to fluctuate EVERYDAY and throughout the day. Just eat at your BMR or above and you'll keep losing. Obsessing won't help.

Also this. Not only will obsessing not help, but it will make you crazy.

Force yourself to only weight ONCE a week (or less) and weigh first thing in the morning after FMU (first morning urine).