Yawning and getting dizzy during Zumba?

Options
My co-worker and I recently started a full on Zumba class twice a week. I've done Zumba in the past but it was Circuit Zumba, so there were breaks in between the dancing.

I'm finding that when I exercise now, I yawn, A LOT. I know it's lack of oxygen because I'm not breathing properly, so I'm working on that. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on that and also how to keep from getting dizzy (I assume from the lack of oxygen.) I'm eating a bit of protein before class, so I don't think it's that.

Thanks!

Replies

• Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You're so out of breath that your brain is not getting enough oxygen. Common symptoms are seeing stars, feeling off balance and/or vomiting.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know you need to chill out and rest as your body simply cannot handle what you're demanding of it yet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    Slow down in class. You don't have to go "full on" for the whole class. Skip steps, stop using your arms, step out of the group, whatever it takes.

Make sure you are eating enough and staying hydrated.
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That's what I figured. I'm taking it slower in class and yesterday's class was much better than the week before. I didn't yawn as much or get as dizzy, but I did still get dizzy, especially in the turns. I was just making sure I had the right idea about why it was happening.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Agree, its not enough oxygen getting to your brain, but have you evern been checked for anemia? Just curious, you may want to do that as you continue your journey to good health and better habits.