Focus T25 Alpha - Gained Weight, but Lost inches

Options
Hi everyone! I'm sure there's been some people posting about their results, but I couldn't find a specific topic that I needed.

I began the program July 29th, and finally gone through Week 5/Alpha phase this past Friday. I didn't weigh myself the whole time, until the very last day. I know I know I know a scale isn't what we should always use in journeys to weight loss, but I couldn't help but check it out. I went up 1.3 lbs.. Needless to say, I was a bit crushed. I'm assuming its more muscle? Because I know i'm eating less than I used to, and cleaner. Note: I have not been eating 100% clean. I have been eating much cleaner, trying to eat a lot more veggies and protein, but not all restrictive.

However! I did lost about 3 - 3.5 inches. I'm unsure about the science behind all of that, but I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experience and if Beta will help more in shedding the lbs or inches? I know goals should actually be fat % loss also. Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

am not on a restrictive diet..yet. I know eating reallyc lean of course will expedite the weight loss, but I am OK with gradual.

Replies

• sunnysparkles16
    sunnysparkles16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the results of your progress! I am starting the program tomorrow. Did you have other workouts in addition to T25 as part of your exercise plan?
  • spizaminator
    Options
    Oh how exciting! Some of it will kick your *kitten*, and even if you get used to a certain workout, you are sweating like crazy!

During the week no not really, except maybe the occasional bike ride because I don't really have the time. Over the weekend on rest days or stretch days I would go trail running, or bike riding..something active outside :) How about you, are you supplementing it with any other workouts?
  • sunnysparkles16
    sunnysparkles16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just did the first workout and loved it. 25 minutes is the perfect amount of time for me. During the week I like to spin (2-3 times) and practice yoga (4-5 times). Currently, I have a lot of free time these days so it's much easier to fit everything in! I'm trying to incorporate more strength training.

Over the last six months, I've been exercising regularly and eating pretty well. My weight has stayed the same but my clothes fit better. I'm in between sizes right now, so if I can avoid going up a size the weight doesn't matter :) I'm crossing my fingers it's muscle weight though!
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You and I are on exactly the same T25 schedule. I just finished Alpha this past Friday as well. I've been at maintenance for about 9 months now--my goals with T25 are to keep myself motivated and shake things up with a break from Jillian Michaels and get rid of the 5 pounds and 0.5-1" per measurement I gained over the summer. I track my weight by weekly average and measure once a week. I'm pretty happy with my results so far!

During my 5 weeks of Alpha:

I usually got about an hour of bike riding or walking most days on top of T25.
    I reduced my binge days (4,000+ calorie days, usually from too much peanut butter/nuts/chocolate) from 10 in July to 2 in August. I think this made more difference than anything else.
    I'm didn't eat at much of a calorie deficit (2250, about 100 below maintenance).
    I went on vacation for 10 days, which included wine tastings, restaurant meals, a pizza night, and 3 ice cream outings. Proud that I managed to fit all that into my calorie allowance for the most part.

My results so far:

Weight: -3.0 pounds
    Bust: -0.3"
    Ribcage: -0.2"
    Waist: -0.8"
    Belly: -1.2"
    Hips: -0.3"
    Thigh: -0.1"

Started Beta this week. Loving it so far!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's no need to be overly restrictive to lose weight, you just need to make sure you have a calorie deficit. Were you logging your food during this time? Were you eating back earned exercise calories?

The muscle gain thing is largely a myth. You will gain a little muscle if you're new to strength training (aka newbie gains) but mostly the increase in weight or plateau from exercise is due to the muscles retaining water and glycogen as the tissues heal. You really can't gain muscle while on a calorie deficit, especially true for women.

Likewise, your weigh in could've been effected by water weight in other ways. Maybe your sodium has been a bit high lately or you haven't had enough water or effects from monthly cycle. The fact that you've lost inches is more important. This means you've burned fat!
  • jillkotas
    Options
    I also just finished week 5 Alpha and I have been following the meal plans. I lost 2.3 pounds but did lose a few inches. I am more concerned about my clothes fitting better so the losing inches was good but I am disappointed about the weight. ( A few years ago I did Insanity for 9 weeks and lost 16 lbs without watching my food intake). I was positive the pounds would melt away quickly on T25 since I am only eating healthy and not skipping any workouts.
    I will continue with Beta round but am discouraged. :(