Getting back on track?

Options
I'm really curious to know what people do to get back into a diet and exercise routine after a period of being off track? Of late, I've had a few stressful personal experiences, as well as an illness, which to be honest has pretty much killed my good eating habits etc., and I'm finding it really hard to get focused again. Help, anyone?

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Start. That's it. Whatever it is you do, start. If you run and you can't run, then run/walk. If you lift weights ease into it slowly and use light weights until you see where you are. But the biggest thing is to just get goin'!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
    -Nike
  • JessiGetFit
    Options
    The thing that helps me the most is not having unhealthy food available-- I if I have sweets in my house, I WILL eat them! Instead, I stock up on fruits and veggies. And the first couple of days are always the hardest, but after that, especially if I work out, I'm much more likely to stick to eating well. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • viviantongsy
    Options
    I am still struggling with overeating. I tend to overeat when I'm stress. For me, it is easier to maintain workout routine than to maintain a healthy diet. But, no worries, it's never too late to restart.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for over a year and in that time I have started and stopped plenty. I would go weeks without logging, without working out, without caring. I've been where you are.

There are no tips for getting back on track. You just have to decide it's worth getting off your butt or putting down the ice cream or whatever it is.

Nothing anyone else can say will make you do what you have to do. You have to decide you're committed to your goals.

You have to make the choice to get back on track.

Start slowly. Today decide to log all your food. Tomorrow decide to hit your calorie goal. The next day decide to hit your calorie goal and move a little. Build some momentum and let it carry you.
  • nsponseller
    Options
    If I go for a while without working out and/or eating right, I strip down to my underwear and stand in front of my full-length mirror for a few minutes. That's usually motivation enough for me to get moving again!!
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Figure out what will work for you. Me. I start with exercising. Once I am exercising regularly, the eating comes next. First becoming more conscious of what I am eating and then logging it. I really hate logging but I know that it works. When I don't log....I don't lose.
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I need to get back on track myself. Been off since July. Yesterday I logged my food and drank my water. Today I am eating my 5 full serving of veggies and cutting my dinner portions. Tomorrow I will concentrate on lowering my fat intake and upping my protein. Set small goals that are easily attainable. Do it. Pat yourself on the back and set the next days goal. Stay off the scale for a while. Give your body time to adjust to the changes and read the success stories. If others can make it happen so can you. Take it one day at a time. ;)
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things to remember is to try every day. Do 1% better today than yesterday and don't beat yourself up for a bad food or for not exercising. Just keep trying. You'll feel much better also with healthy choices.
    Good Luck!
  • redbev306
    Options
    It is sooooo hard sometimes, but just tell yourself it's worth it. If you mess up... don't tell yourself you'll try again tomorrow... do better now! every little bit counts. :) Hang in there & you'll get back in the groove
  • MissLady03
    MissLady03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am actually currently on day two of getting back into my routine after a month break. It helped that this past weekend, I really realized how crappy I felt inside. I wasn't sick but I didn't feel healthy. So yesterday, I forced myself to do my workout (Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30) and it was hard, but I told myself I had no other option but to do it. And today? I feel great! Sore as heck but going strong because my body feels good. I'm even sitting here typing this while happily eating plain carrots. You know what carrots don't taste like??? Chocolate cake. :sad: :laugh:

It's a little bit of remembering your personal motivations and a lot of just doing it.