HELP!

Options
I have put on weight since having an illness. At first it was great I was so sick for so long that I needed to add some pounds, but recently I have realized that I have a tire around my mid section and the other day I saw an old classmate that asked how far along I was. So here I am. out of shape out of habit and old. No Ideas on where to really start. need some advice please. I've never had a problem eating healthy my dad was a produce man for 40 years. But exercise? Gym class and I were never friends. don't know really where to start.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Ease into the change using small steps that you can truly commit to and follow.

I'd start with simply tracking your calories for a few weeks to see what you are actually eating. Use a food scale so you get an accurate picture. Then start slowly cutting, by 500 calories a day. Add some exercise that you actually enjoy. Walk, find a sport you could enjoy, or something along those lines. Optimally, add some strength training in and make sure that you get plenty of protein to preserve your lean body mass.

But honestly, I personally highly recommend incremental changes so that you can adopt habits that you will keep for life.
  • beenbad43
    beenbad43 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am trying to lose as well. I cut out tonic ( coke) and most junk.. I am on a f&^king elliptical machine for an hour every day. My goal is to get on the elliptical every day in September, and then weigh myself... it is so hard to stay motivated..
  • randomdents
    Options
    I here on the motivation. I am lazy and its easier just to sit on the couch. but i've got to do this I want to do this not for the little balck dress but to feel healthier. Thanks for the comment.
  • randomdents
    Options
    Thanks I will try
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The gym isnt really my thing either. I would suggest walking as one of the best and easiest places to start. Go for a walk after dinner and increase it slowly everyday. Get off the bus a stop early and walk, or park a block away from the office or store. Take the stairs more often. Start little until its a habit then move on to bigger or more strenuous workouts.
  • randomdents
    Options
    Thanks Corlissa that helps
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This all started for me about 16 months ago when I saw a picture of myself and thought "gross." Then I overheard a conversation at work where one of my coworkers said the key to starting to lose weight is to record EVERYTHING you put in your mouth in a given day. I figured with modern technology, there has to be a convenient way on my smart phone. Enter MFP.

It's shocking at first (or was for me), because I was snacking quite a bit, so even when i thought I was eating healthier meals, I was eating a lot. I also was surprised with how many calories I could eat and still lose 2 lbs/week - 1970 at first for me. So with the increased consciousness of how many calories I was and should be eating, the weight started to fall off.

Around 2-3 months in, I started exercising, mostly as a way to earn back calories when i wanted to have dinner at Chili's or eat dessert. I've gotten into running, and never thought I would have. I used to make fun of runners. But it's a great way to deal with stress for someone like me - a stress eater who won't overeat anymore.

I'd suggest starting with just logging your calories, and see where you can make adjustments. As far as exercise, it doesn't have to be torture. My girlfriend hates running, but likes Zumba and Tennis, since they are more fun and less monotonous. Chances are there is some kind of physical activity that appeals to you.

I've always been fairly active, but didn't really see weigh loss until I combined it with tracking calories and being more careful about my caloric intake.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I here on the motivation. I am lazy and its easier just to sit on the couch. but i've got to do this I want to do this not for the little balck dress but to feel healthier. Thanks for the comment.

I would suggest you first think of exercises and find the one that seems least objectionable. There are so many ways to get exercise. Bike, hike, walk, run, dance, swim, skip, spin, steps, machines, calisthenics, jump rope, lift weights, resistance bands, DVDs, group, MFP challenges, classes, video games, etc. Pretty much anything that gets you moving. Just find something that can enjoy, or at least don't hate.
  • atlcajun
    atlcajun Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was not a big fan of exercise so I have incorporated some fun things like dance, Zumba, and water aerobics and those days I do my cardio blast (60 minutes or longer) I make sure I have some really great music on my ipod. I have started parking farther away in the parking lot at the stores. Make little changes and have some fun.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options

Exercise is a major player here. I suggest you start by getting a real pair of running sneakers and walk for an hour or more at a good clip.

Good luck.
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am trying to lose as well. I cut out tonic ( coke) and most junk.. I am on a f&^king elliptical machine for an hour every day. My goal is to get on the elliptical every day in September, and then weigh myself... it is so hard to stay motivated..

Feel the same way about the f&^king elliptical machine! Good for you doing hour each day..