Craving things, needing to binge at night

Options
2»

Replies

• lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I do snack earlier, usually I eat around 6-8PM then continue working until midnight or so. When it's that late, I start getting hungry again or I get a craving. I did tried to rush to bed afterward but my hunger and the though of food keep me awake. If I eat around that time, I usually end up binging. :\

May be try packing a snack that is light in cals, sugar, etc. If you already know that you have packed something to eat, you are less likely to grab the unhealthy stuff. Another reason why they advise people to not go grocery shopping hungry because you may pick up extras that appeal to you, yet are not good for you.
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    i always always always eat a lot at night. doesn't matter if i had a big breakfast, protein rich dinner, whatever. i will always snack all throughout the night. so now i just plan for that... i eat a very small breakfast, pretty small lunch, a few afternoon snack, bigger dinner, and then i usually have at least 400 calories saved for my snacks at night. i think if you know you're going to be craving food that late (and since it sounds like you really are hungry it isn't just boredom cravings) then you need to just save up the calories for then.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What I mean is plan for it.

I am guessing the cals but you get the point. Just plan to "binge" and allow for it. If you want to eat at night, by all means just do it. Just make sure you have calories left at night.

I know some people say don't eat before bed, but trust me it won't kill you. It won't even do much harm at all.

What he said! I think of myself as an intelligent woman but it took me weeks of keeping my food diary to accept that for whatever reason- - -low blood sugar, entertainment, comfort- - -I want something to eat at night. So, I finally started planning for it. Sometimes, I even enter my favorite snack the day before. That way, when I start the day, I know what I am really working with.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs so eating at night is a must for me. I work at a desk job during the day and at a horse farm in the afternoon/evening 3-4 days a week and I'm riding the other days. I eat my dinner late and usually top it off with a protein shake, I also keep some tasty almonds around for crunchy cravings, right now I have carob covered (yummy!). But I am extra cautious about my portions of those tasty little almonds.

It also helps me when I have my biggest meal either as breakfast or lunch, then I'm just not as hungry at night.

Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a binge eater, but I have always liked to eat a lot in the evening and at night. So, that's when I eat. It's 3:14 p.m. here and I'm having my first food of the day. I have almost 1000 calories left for dinner tonight, which I will eat within an hour or so of going to bed.

I could eat more earlier, but I'd still want to eat late.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I do the same, but normally I will have enough calories for it. You need to plan..

I am a morning eater and a late night snacker. I consume between 700 - 1000 calories before 10am just about every day and another 800 between 7-10 pm. Knowing when you are hungry it helps.

Don't try to cram yourself in a box with everyone else. Change your eating times to what works for you. If you need a big meal at 8 pm then have one and eat lighter or work out more during the day so that you have the calories to spare.
  • laceythompson
    Options
    As if I can give advice...:) try eating a banana. I am craving salty things...any ideas on how to work on that?:sad:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As if I can give advice...:) try eating a banana. I am craving salty things...any ideas on how to work on that?:sad:

Popcorn.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Can you try to drink something first and wait 10 minutes? A lot of times, when I'm craving something, I drink something (usually iced or hot tea with stevia, but whatever you like) and the sweetness and re-hydration helps me get past the craving. Another thing you can try is making a quick protein shake. Find a pro powder that you like, put it in a bottle of water, shake, and enjoy. Because it's quick and easy, you won't be tempted to reach for something equally quick and easy (but with far more calories)!
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Water