Anti-Depressants and Weightloss

Options
So I was recently put on Paxil for anxiety and I've gained. I've been reading all of these things about people gaining tons of weight while taking anti-depressants. I'm not depressed but my anxiety and OCD are hard to deal with especially because I have a lot on my plate right now. I'm sluggish and hungry all the time. I could bump up my exercise and I'm definitely going to fight the hungry feeling (I've been drinking a lot of water).

What I want to know: Is there anyone out there that is taking Paxil or other anti-depressants and still losing weight?

A lot of the reading I've come across is mostly people talking about the big weight gains so I'm not sure if they are really being honest with themselves. I found a website on Paxil that said there is a chance of 1% weight loss and 3% weight gain.

I just don't want all my hard work to go to waste. I don't want to deal with the anxiety but I'm already morbidly obese, I don't want to stay unhealthy...Which is why I sought help for my anxiety. lol

Sorry for being long winded. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No drug pulls fat out of thin air and slaps it onto your *kitten*. It may make you feel more hungry but it's you that puts the food in your mouth. Finding something else to do instead of eat is a win/win situation. You get some exercise away from the food and you burn some calories to help with weight loss. Exercise also increases endorphins which will help with your mood naturally.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're going through tough times - good for you for finding help.

I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation - you're worried about weight gain because you have anxiety! That will slowly fade as the meds kick in.

Take it easy on yourself, just have realistic, short-term goals like finishing one jigsaw a week, taking a 10 minute walk every day, going to a local café twice a week for a latte and to watch the world go by. :-)

Wishing you all the very best! xx
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also deal with extreme anxiety and have for years. I can tell you that I gained 40 lbs in one year on Paxil. The doctor said it was just an increase in appetite because I was happier and getting out more. I started watching my calories and logging my foods, and I was eating no more, and probably less than I had been before. After being on it 16 months, I tried to come off of it. I was just gaining uncontrollably. No doctor will agree with me that the medicine had anything to do with it. It took me 3 months to get off of it, which was another nightmare in itself. The doctors say you can't become addicted to it, as well. I can tell you right now, that's BS. I had severe withdrawal symptoms and had to stay in the bed for three days straight in the dark with no noise. It was insane! I'm now on Effexor which controls my anxiety even better than Paxil, and doesn't make me feel crazy, mean or out of control. I know different meds do things to different people, so it may work fine for you. Effexor is the 1st one I've tried that doesn't make me gain, although I'm still having a really hard time losing weight and don't know if the meds may play some part in that. Whatever you decide to do...good luck. It's hard to find the right medicine balance, especially for those of us needing to lose weight!
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're going through tough times - good for you for finding help.

I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation - you're worried about weight gain because you have anxiety! That will slowly fade as the meds kick in.

Take it easy on yourself, just have realistic, short-term goals like finishing one jigsaw a week, taking a 10 minute walk every day, going to a local café twice a week for a latte and to watch the world go by. :-)

Wishing you all the very best! xx

Thanks. I've read that it messes with your leptin production or causes a resistence. It's not a "I'm bored, I'm going to eat" it's an actual "I haven't eaten all day, I need to eat something" feeling. I didn't actually

I didn't actually start wondering until I noticed my hunger. After working on eating better for months, I finally got to a point where I was getting used to eating less.
  • CLL1001
    CLL1001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been on celexa for about 3 months and I haven't had an issue with weight gain so far. I haven't lost a significant amount of weight yet but I've been consistently losing about 1 -1 1/2 lbs per week...the weeks that I haven't lost were because I was eating more calories than I should have. I exercise regularly, wear a heart rate monitor so I know how many calories I'm burning and I track EVERYTHING I eat. I definitely recommend doing that...even if you have a day where you're eating nothing but junk food..it really helps to put things into perspective when you see how many calories you're actually eating.
  • admegamo
    Options
    I also deal with extreme anxiety and have for years. I can tell you that I gained 40 lbs in one year on Paxil. The doctor said it was just an increase in appetite because I was happier and getting out more. I started watching my calories and logging my foods, and I was eating no more, and probably less than I had been before. After being on it 16 months, I tried to come off of it. I was just gaining uncontrollably. No doctor will agree with me that the medicine had anything to do with it. It took me 3 months to get off of it, which was another nightmare in itself. The doctors say you can't become addicted to it, as well. I can tell you right now, that's BS. I had severe withdrawal symptoms and had to stay in the bed for three days straight in the dark with no noise. It was insane! I'm now on Effexor which controls my anxiety even better than Paxil, and doesn't make me feel crazy, mean or out of control. I know different meds do things to different people, so it may work fine for you. Effexor is the 1st one I've tried that doesn't make me gain, although I'm still having a really hard time losing weight and don't know if the meds may play some part in that. Whatever you decide to do...good luck. It's hard to find the right medicine balance, especially for those of us needing to lose weight!

Thank you. I told her that I've lost 37lbs and she thought it was great and then she told me that if I decide not to take this med I'd have to be weened off because it causes withdrawl symptoms and that I would have be really good about taking the meds for that reason.

I don't want to have to work harder to lose weight but I will. I just want ideas of what to expect.
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    It IS tricky to eat properly when you're sluggish, tired... it's a big ask to shop and cook from fresh when you're dealing with other stuff.

Easy and quick options are bran, oats (porridge), oranges, baked potatoes... all full of fibre so will see off the hunger!

Good luck on your journey. xxx
  • Sarah_LM
    Options
    No drug pulls fat out of thin air and slaps it onto your *kitten*. It may make you feel more hungry but it's you that puts the food in your mouth. Finding something else to do instead of eat is a win/win situation. You get some exercise away from the food and you burn some calories to help with weight loss. Exercise also increases endorphins which will help with your mood naturally.

No drug pulls fat out of thin air and slaps it on your *kitten*. But:

1. Feeling constantly starving is difficult to ignore and
    2. Doctors suspect antidepressant drugs may affect metabolism, although this has not been definately proven or disproven.

Maybe try not having an attitude about a topic you clearly have very little knowledge of.

OP, I have no solutions but I hope that the medication helps you. If you do gain weight, there are many other tablets you could try.
  • Mokey41
    Options

No drug pulls fat out of thin air and slaps it on your *kitten*. But:

1. Feeling constantly starving is difficult to ignore and
    2. Doctors suspect antidepressant drugs may affect metabolism, although this has not been definately proven or disproven.

Maybe try not having an attitude about a topic you clearly have very little knowledge of.

OP, I have no solutions but I hope that the medication helps you. If you do gain weight, there are many other tablets you could try.

Why would you assume (you know what happens when you *kitten* U ME) that I know nothing about this topic? I agreed it may make you feel hungry and I'll grant you that may be hard to ignore but you CAN eat a bucket of carrots to appease the hunger rather than 2 double Big Macs (not saying the OP would do so). There are ways to deal with drug side effects rather than just going with the "Oh well, it's not my fault" approach.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Up until 2 months ago, I was on Effexor, Rispiridone and Wellbutrin. Another poster said pills don't grab fat out of thin air and slap it on your *kitten*.... well, they almost pretty much do. I was on Wellbutrin before the other two and there was no effect on my weight. The I started Effexor and Rispiridone. They slow your metabolism WAY down. Everything in your body slows down. That's why you feel sluggish. I put 10 lbs on pretty fast with no change to my diet or activity level.

But to your question, about losing weight on meds. Yes, it's possible, but it will take all the mental strength you can muster. Your brain will tell you you're too tired and sluggish feeling to put in a good workout. You need to ignore it. And your workouts have to be intense. Light exercise will not get that metabolism back into gear. I lost those 10 lbs in 2 months (this past April and May) with a lot of training and strict diet. I had to argue with myself every day to get out there though. It was hard.

Two months ago, i quit my meds (aside from Wellbutrin) and I have since lost another 5 lbs. It's definitely easier without them. Training is my therapy now and it's working wonders.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm losing on Zoloft but I have taken Paxil before and I recall how sedating it was. Taking it at night helped me have more energy. I think I may have actually lost weight on Paxil but I am a stress eater so once my stress was reduced a bit I think the weight at least stabilized. I know Paxil is the drug of choice for anxiety but if you find the side effect profile unacceptable maybe try another SSRI.
  • Mokey41
    Options

Why would you assume (you know what happens when you *kitten* U ME) that I know nothing about this topic?

Because you clearly have as much sensitivity as a paving slab.

No offence ;-)

Ah yes, the 5:1 teacher lady.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options

Why would you assume (you know what happens when you *kitten* U ME) that I know nothing about this topic?

Because you clearly have as much sensitivity as a paving slab.

No offence ;-)

Ah yes, the 5:1 teacher lady.

Yup. The definition of 5:1 is, "Do as I say, not as I do,"

Which totally works for grade-schoolers over whom you have dominion. Doesn't really translate all that well to internet forums.
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Paxil, seroxat and similar ssris, marvellous and life-saving as they were in their day, have definitely been overtaken by the new generation of anti-depressants like Zoloft (sertraline) which certainly has far less side effects.

Holistic approach, as always is best - which can include drug therapies, talking therapies, healthy diet and exercise regimes, sleep and relaxation aids: yoga, massage...
  • kristenmccrory
    Options
    I was on celexa for 5 years, about 2 years ago I decided to get off of it. I felt ready. When I did, I instantly put on 20 lbs. It felt like the blink of an eye. When I talked to my doc about it, they said it was normal to gain weight when your anxiety increases and getting off meds meant increased anxiety. I accepted it and didn't really do anything. I'm still off the meds, and just now trying to lose weight while dealing with anxiety med free. It is hard to NOT be anxious about weight loss, but you have to try. The more anxious you are, the harder it will be to get the weight off.
  • SmallestGoal
    SmallestGoal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If the weight gain keeps happening, consider a different pill. Effexor and Prozac both made me lose weight. Wellbutrin was weight-neutral for me. Anything in the atypical antipsychotic family will wreak havoc on your metabolism and put on a TON of weight even if you keep your intake steady (aka, people on standard, nutritionist-provided diets in hospital on those meds will suddenly gain weight).

Of course, a lot of the weight response is down to how you respond to the meds. Anything that works on my depression gets me out of the house and to the gym. Anything that works on my anxiety stops me from binging to deal with it. If you're the opposite, and don't eat when you're depressed or anxious, getting better is going to reverse that and you might have to make changes to accommodate.
  • Daisykyo
    Options
    I am taking Celexa and Lamictal. I am losing at a slow pace, but I also like to eat. Some anti-depressants do cause weight gain, but mostly because it increases your appetite and makes you tired.

It is possible to lose weight or gain while taking them.
  • BikerChickAlice
    BikerChickAlice Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm on Mirtazipine. When i take it at night I feel ravenous hungry until Ifall to sleep, and the craving dfor sweet stuff can drive me insane, it works really well for anxiety and depression though, so I've stuck with it. I've lost 94lbs on it. (301-205 so far) yes it is a challenge at times, and the odd time I go bonkers eating all sorts, but if you've suffered with anxiety and depression and it works, then it is worth battling that. I think a lot of people use it as an excuse also. It can be done with a little will power and determination, but you need that anyway! If I can do this, anyone can!

Zara.
  • admegamo
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

If I thought it was impossible or not in my control I wouldn't have posted this. I would have quietly slid away from MFP. I'm not sure if I mentioned but a lot of the reading I was doing the people said that they had not changed their eating and activity habits. I wanted to know if this was true for people here because I thought the posters on those sites may not be being honest with themselves. I recently went down on my calories and I know I gained from excess eating. I was thinking that maybe insteading of getting back on track I might have to lower my calories even more to make up for the medicine.

It is hard but I'm determined. I haven't had a problem with depression but I feel if I don't do my best, I might. You know?

I appreciate everyone's comments.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I was put on paxil over a month ago and have maintained without any problems.

Everyone's body is different