Looking for friends in their 40s

Options
I'm in my 3rd week of getting serious about what I eat and working out. I'm looking for friends my age to share experiences with cuz lets face it weight just doesn't come off like it used to. I am keeping to 1200 calories n walk for an hour a day. I want to add weights this month and increase my speed.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I thought you were following a Paleo lifestyle? Why the extreme calorie restriction? With a lot to lose and being moderately active 1200 calories is not enough and is not inline with the concept of eating enough nutrient dense foods for optimal health.

Edit: or maybe it was ketogenic, but either way, I don't understand this approach.
  • LovesPink8741
    LovesPink8741 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a request :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am 42, anyone can add me
    I am a cardio gal, try to do 2to 3 hours a day.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Im almost 40, does that count??? LOL

You may not be eating enough, 1200 is pretty low. I just went through this with one of my challengers yesterday.
  • hdyanneh
    Options
    Well I input sedentary on the goals because other than the walking I'm really a couch potato I shuffle my little one to his activities but i watch h practice rather than walk some more like i should. and I've wondered about that myself but that's the calorie amount. it sets for me.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Im almost 40, does that count??? LOL

No! Come back after your birthday.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can add me, my diary is open. I'm 47. I upped my calories to 1300, but MFP also put mine to 1200. Although I exercise, I can't eat back my exercise calories as it hinders my weight loss. I sit at a computer all day.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    Options
    i am 43.. sent you a request.. anyone can add me if you like
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me. I'm 41. And to echo the others, you can absolutely eat more! I lost most of mine eating 1700.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well I input sedentary on the goals because other than the walking I'm really a couch potato I shuffle my little one to his activities but i watch h practice rather than walk some more like i should. and I've wondered about that myself but that's the calorie amount. it sets for me.

It's because you probably put in to lose 2 pounds per week. With MFP we must not just rely on the auto settings, we must think about what we want to accomplish. Two pounds per week loss might occur at first, but it is not a realistic nor healthy goal to expect to lose 2 pounds per week. MFP also buys into the idea that weight loss is ONLY "calories in and calories out" but I can assure you that our metabolic system is far more complex than that. Under eating will slow your weight loss and you risk not getting adequate nutrients.

For long term success, you might try switching your focus to health and sustainability instead of "how fast can I lose weight?".

(Why not start playing more with the little one rather than just watching?)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm Lew. Down 182 since last July and a month away from 44. In better shape now than I was at 34 or even 24... My diary is open to friends and I comment all the time... Welcome to MFP!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I'm the same way, a serious couch potato...it's almost a competitive sport in my house :-)

I'm 42, feel free to add me. I have my calories set at 1200 and I walk on my lunch hours for a 1/2 hour and I go for longer walks on the weekend. I was doing the Jillian Micheals 30 day shred videos on youtube for a while but got so busy with Relay for Life in June that I stopped and never got back at it. I'm going to try another go next week.

Although my calories are set at 1200 you will see by my diary that I rarely eat that much during the week, but it's because I've been compensating for all the parties that seem to be going on every weekend. If I'm away camping or go up north I don't log (no internet) and I enjoy myself. It's how I balance life and dieting. If I want to play, I have to pay, and it's easier for me to calorie reduce during the week when I'm at work.
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm creeping up to my 40's (im 37) but I love this age and would love friends in this bracket. Feel free to add me. Ladies only.
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 45. Sending you a friend request. My diary is also open.

I think thats one of my favorite things. Checking other people's diarys for good snacks, low cal things that I didnt think of.
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im 42 and sticking to 1200cals a day also. I have another 54lbs to go. Started last week and lost 5lb on my 1st week following 1200 cals a day and gym 5 times a week for an hour along with an hour step aerobics class. I have been slightly over 1200 per day but seems to work with the exercise im putting in. Please feel free to add me too :)
  • turboyvette
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I am 45 and love to support and motivate people. I only have 8 pounds left to get to goal and could also use some more support. I have my calories a little higher then you and I eat back my exercise calories.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    41 here..please feel free to add me, I log religiously and check in quite often...
  • Dch2272
    Dch2272 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a request. I am 41 with 3 boys that are also active in cub and boy scouts, married, and have a full time career. I am doing the boot camp fitness program at a local gym and am really loving it. I'm not sure I love going to the 5am class, but with our crazy lives, it's the best time to go.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I hit 45 years a couple of weeks ago.

Feel free to add me. :smile:

Wishing you the best on your goals.
  • RawOogle
    Options
    Hi I have similar goals as yourself! Feel free to add me if you'd like! have an awesome day!!