At 62 I still want to look good!

Options
...and I want to stay healthy. I have a great life now, have few worries (kids grown up etc), finally looked in the mirror and although so many well meaning friends say I look great - well, I reckon I'd look even better if I could shed 25 kilos! And have more energy of course. So, for the past week I've been logging everything I eat, and doing more exercise, and guess what? I've only lost a tiny amount but already feel a lot more positive, and fitter (must be psychological!). And what a shock it is when you actually write down what you eat!

I love to cycle, and walk. Unfortunately I had a nasty accident in China while working there, shattered an ankle, (fell down a hole in the ground - don't ask! - no I wasn't drinking)... have had to have several ops to correct but my physio said that one of the problems with this type of injury is people who are generally active put on weight. This was 6 years ago and he was right :(

But cycling is good, I also do irregular weight training, and walking - as long as I wear ankle supporting hike boots, is also good! So I truly have no excuse do I? Except I'm in England at the moment, and have been here for 3 months visiting family, and it keeps raining! and raining! But the good news is I'm going home to Australia in two weeks time and it won't be raining! (as much).

Any others in my age group out there? If so, any tips would help....
All the best to everyone...
Dzzy

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind, I am going to use your story to let my son know he needs to keep active. He fell 180 ft off a cliff in March. His major injury has been a broken tib/fib, ankle, and calcaneus. I try to tell him it is easier for him to get in shape now that he's a healthy weight than it will be when it gets older and these injury sites get weaker for non use.

Good for you on getting active. Good luck!

Linda
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Best of luck in your efforts, Dzzy. I think you will find that logging your food and being accountable to yourself will make an increasing difference in your motivation and progress. I am 57 and have been on the MFP program for about six months, and it has worked for me. When I have been on holiday, though, I haven't logged in--and that has been a total of six weeks over this time period--but being conscious of calories kept weight gain minimal. This program works if you follow it!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome! It sounds like you know what you want and now that you are here I'm sure that you can achieve your goal. Take it slow because at our age (I'm 56) the weight loss does produce wrinkles so make sure you are using plenty of lotions and creams:wink:

I know under my picture it says 2009 but I didn't really start to use MFP until this past January and I reached my goal last Saturday...so if you stick with it it can be done. If you want a new friend just send me a request.

Laura:smile:
  • Dzzy
    Dzzy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Linda... tell your son to keep moving - particularly the ankle! I have post traumatic arthritus in the ankle, but I tell you now, if I walk and exercise it, it actually hurts LESS than if I am sedentary.

Laura.... when I lost a lot of weight quickly a few years back I looked haggard.... so I will do it real slow this time! Plus the creams!

Allison.... thanks for the encouragement (that goes for everyone!)... it's quite difficult for me to lose weight because my husband just loves me the size I am and is frightened I'll disappear (or certain parts will! lol). So he encourages me to EAT. However, it's my health and it's my body!

cheers
    Dzzy
    (Dee)