Bench Press Newbies - Females

Options
Hey gals!

I was just wondering what you guys started out with when you FIRST started bench pressing. I did it for the first time last week, and I was wondering where I fall into the spectrum. All input appreciated! :)

Replies

• xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No one, huh? :P
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you can do the bar- you're doing great.

Most people start with DB's then work up to the bar.

I was happy with this progression
    Bar (45 lbs)
    Break 100
    the next goal is body weight

There is no right or wrong- if you are benching and getting in there- you're miles ahead of everyone else.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am (quite obviously) not a woman. However, I did bring my 5'2", 165 lb wife to the gym to lift weights the other day. She never did a bench press before. She did 2 warmup sets of 45, then 2 work sets of 65, then 2 work sets of 75, if I remember correctly.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    I was able to do 65 max my first go. I wasn't sure if that was good or not. I'm generally strong, so I guess it's a decent start.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was able to do 65 max my first go. I wasn't sure if that was good or not. I'm generally strong, so I guess it's a decent start.

Pretty good, yeah! I might be a little off on the numbers, but I thought it was 75. I know she got up to 65. Maybe 75 was her second time at the gym...

And yeah know, any amount of weight lifting is good. Everyone has to start somewhere. You really can't compare yourself to others.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started at 55 lbs. I'm up to 85 now. Not too bad for a noob. :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I started with the bar (45lbs) :smile:
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I started with the bar (45lbs) :smile:

Same. :)
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    I was just going to post my first benchpress (90lbs), but then realized you are probably at a much different bodyweight than I was at my first press and that makes a pretty big difference. Lifting is a weight class sport.

Check out strstd.com - you enter your gender, bodyweight and weight lifted and it tells you where you fall from novice to elite.

Congrats on lifting, hope you fall in love with it!
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    I was just going to post my first benchpress (90lbs), but then realized you are probably at a much different bodyweight than I was at my first press and that makes a pretty big difference. Lifting is a weight class sport.

Check out strstd.com - you enter your gender, bodyweight and weight lifted and it tells you where you fall from novice to elite.

Congrats on lifting, hope you fall in love with it!

Well thank you.. I currently do crossfit. So I've done other lifting. It just so happens this was the first time I've done the bench press. :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I started with the bar and currently at 85 lbs.