Mother is driving me crazy

Options
Right me and my mother started dieting together a week and a half ago. I started up the same diet as I did last time that resulted in me losing a stone and a half but have had terrible results... Only 0.6pounds lost. I have been really good, going to the gym at least twice a week for weight lifting with a mate, with the exception of a BBQ which I accept would add a tad on. I have been messing around with what calories I intake and the amount of protein to see if that helps and still nothing has helped. It has been really disheartening as you expect to lose the most weight during the initial week or two, but I have tried to be persisted in the hope it's just a slow start. But my mother is driving me up the wall, telling me it's not working because I am eatting too much. I started with 1350 calorie intake and have reduced it, to see if that helps kick start it, but I refuse to go below 1200 (and before anyone else rants at me I am only 5ft 1 and have a basal met rate of 1350). She has done loads of stupid diets, starving herself and she has the cheek of trying to tell me how to diet when I doubt she has more than 1000 calories on her diet and eats not great food (crisps etc). It's frustrating because of course her diet is being more effective, but she is being unhealthy. Its just not very helpful and is driving me crazy at a time I am struggling to keep motivated anyways.
I just needed to have a rant and would love to hear some support to help me keep going.... So much for helping each other on our diets.

Replies

• dietingdanni
    Options
    I just want to add that I am weighing and recording everything so I know my calories are bang on!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You've been doing this for a week and a half and have already changed your plan a bunch of times. It's not a miracle over-night worker. You can't say you are consistent if you keep changing it. Know what I mean? Set your calories at 1400 and stick with it for a few weeks. Reassess AFTER that. And try not to let what your mothers says get to you. She may lose weight more quickly, but she also gains it back (which is why she keeps having to go on these 'diets').

Do what you need to do for you. Half a pound/week is great!
  • Jolie_K
    Jolie_K Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just keep going :) It's better to lose in a healthy way and keep it off
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Matriarchal issues aside, try measuring and weighing everything like a scientist for a week or two to ensure you are not over eating. Make sure you break a sweat everyday.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You've been doing this for a week and a half and have already changed your plan a bunch of times. It's not a miracle over-night worker. You can't say you are consistent if you keep changing it. Know what I mean? Set your calories at 1400 and stick with it for a few weeks. Reassess AFTER that. And try not to let what your mothers says get to you. She may lose weight more quickly, but she also gains it back (which is why she keeps having to go on these 'diets').

Do what you need to do for you. Half a pound/week is great!

Exactly what I was gonna say. You need to give it more time than 1.5 weeks. And just because it worked quickly the last time doesn't mean it will this time (obviously). That could be the reason you need to do it again. If you lose too fast, then there's a better chance that you'll gain it all plus a bit more back.

Your loss so far is good so don't let your mother get you down! You'll lose it the right way, and she'll be GOING BACK on her miracle diet next year after she gains back what she lost this year. :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Just do it for yourself.

But having said that your diary which I checked back, soz :-(

You are eating healthy but just not enough and you are under the 1200 cals that you wanted to not fall under.

My advice, you can take it or leave it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Took me three weeks after changing my diet (and I was weighing everything as well) to lose anything at all. Then I lost an average of 1 lb /wk until I got to within 5 lbs. of my goal.
  • chelseaaa_wong
    Options
    I would just keep track of your calories at your own pace and not worry about anyone else's intake. I am 5 ft. 3 and have a BMR of 1224, which is all I was consuming for a few weeks until I learned about the IIFYM calculator. Just type that in google and you can get a calorie intake that breaks down your macros. I am now consuming 1568 on MyFitnessPal and it's only my first day since increasing my calories. I admit that it's distressing to have to change and not see results, but you have to find what's healthiest for you and your body, not anyone else's because everyone's is different. Eating too less of calories is bad for you in the same way eating too many can be so you just need to find your happy median and what works for you!
  • UnknownDeity
    Options
    Hang in there, a loss is still a loss and mothers are always a pain i'm afraid haha.