No Carbs for weight loss???

Options

Replies

• ljcdills
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs are generally high in fiber which will help you lose weight such as whole grains, fruits and veggies and beans. Bad carbs are things like white bread, white rice and those are the ones to avoid to increase weight loss.
  • aleXXXXlopez
    Options
    I watch my carbs closely & try to stick w/ complex carbs. When I cut out carbs completely I felt sick & weak & had NO energy for my workouts & to Me, it doesn't really matter what U weigh if U feel like crap all the time anyways.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs are generally high in fiber which will help you lose weight such as whole grains, fruits and veggies and beans. Bad carbs are things like white bread, white rice and those are the ones to avoid to increase weight loss.

First post is a doosie. Send in the hounds.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Erm....do you mean carbs or STARCHES?

I can't imagine anyone never eating fruit or veggies.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    carbs are fuel that you need.

Not true for everyone. I had more energy on Atkins. I felt awesome on it...just deprived!

To OP, carb restrictive diets do often improve your mood, energy level, decrease your appetite, etc. Some people find this lifestyle sustainable as a LIFEstyle. I did not. I missed bread so much, I added it back like there was nothing better to eat in the world. So, psychologically, it's damaging for me to restrict certain foods. I am much better eating a balanced diet and staying under a calorie goal. Having said that, it's likely that you feel bad when you add carbs due to the fact that carbs are quick energy that spike your blood sugar, then abruptly drops it when your body uses that fuel. I suggest that if you want to add carbs back to your diet, do so gradually and pair them with fats/proteins. This will give your body instant fuel, then "complex" fuel to level out your blood sugar. Eating carbs alone, or a disproportionate amount of carbs will make you hungrier sooner and more often. (At least, it does for me and many others.) So yeah. You're likely experiencing blood sugar lows/crashes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Has anyone stopped eating carbs and had a successful weight loss?

Yes. For a while. Then I hit a hard plateau that could only be broken by either (literally) starving myself or adding regular exercise. I chose the latter, and that was the end of my very-low-carb experiment.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it, because for 99.9% of people it's just not going to be a sustainable path.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is a relative term, to some it means less then 20 Net grams daily to others it's 50-100 a day.

Lowering carbs for some people is simply a way to lower their overall caloric intake.

I eat in the 30-75 overall Carb range daily. I chose not eat grains of any kind. I get the bulk of my carbs from veggies and occasionally some fruit and very dark cacao.

I have tons of energy because I eat enough fats and proteins to keep my body going.

Contrary to popular belief, our body's do get energy from fat quite easily when it's been trained to do so. Why else do you think our body stores fat in the first place.... That flab on our thighs or stomach is a FAT store not a carbohydrate Store. The whole process of losing weight is because we burn fat for energy. Think about it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto, which is where you have very little carbs, but compensate for the lack of carbs with high fat intake and moderate protein. It finally kicked my weight loss back into gear, although right now I'm dealing with horrid water retention. But yea, reducing carbs seems to have helped with my weight loss.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who asked which carbs you eliminated and which carbs are making you feel sick after you eat them. You could be sensitive to that particular food. I know a lot of people have gluten intolerance.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I reduced simple carbs and lost a large amount of weight fairly quickly. I chose the low carb approach to control my type 2 diabetes, and it's just working out great for me. If I took the next step to being a clean eater, it would probably be better, but for now I really need to develop a way of eating that I can stick to forever.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 lbs before doing LOW carb. The other poster was right, low carb/Atkins is a lifestyle and there are phases. The first phase is generally 2 weeks and you eat very few carbs...I think under 25 net carbs. Even in that phase you eat carbs. Eating zero carbs isn't good and not for an extended period of time. With the Atkins diet there are phases where you slowly introduce carbs in whole grains and fruits.

I've actually had more energy cutting out carbs and being on low carb. I felt less groggy and more clear headed. On the other hand the carbs I ate weren't through fruits and whole grains...its was through junk like white bread and french fries. I would do more reading on the Atkins phases if I were you so you do it without going to the extreme which could cause you to be sick once you eat them again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, by "carbs" do you mean grains? If you felt sick eating grains then I'd suggest you may have a problem with gluten. You might try eating grains that don't contain gluten like rice, quinoa, or buckwheat and see if you still have problems.

You could also have your doctor test you for celiac disease or gluten intollerance.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is a relative term, to some it means less then 20 Net grams daily to others it's 50-100 a day.

Lowering carbs for some people is simply a way to lower their overall caloric intake.

I eat in the 30-75 overall Carb range daily. I chose not eat grains of any kind. I get the bulk of my carbs from veggies and occasionally some fruit and very dark cacao.

I have tons of energy because I eat enough fats and proteins to keep my body going.

Contrary to popular belief, our body's do get energy from fat quite easily when it's been trained to do so. Why else do you think our body stores fat in the first place.... That flab on our thighs or stomach is a FAT store not a carbohydrate Store. The whole process of losing weight is because we burn fat for energy. Think about it.

Based off the current body of literature fat loss does not significantly differ between protein and calorie matched diets. Think about it
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm too tired for this *sigh*
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Based off the current body of literature fat loss does not significantly differ between protein and calorie matched diets. Think about it

I agree with you. I'm just trying to state that the body doesn't just burn carbohydrates as fuel and enjoys burning fat as fuel just as easily.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm too tired for this *sigh*

Probably too many carbs making you sleepy. :wink:
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    like breads and cereal and pasta so which means i dont eat pizza which is basically all bread . of course i eat fruits and vegetables when i eat a hamburger i do no use a bun i use lettuce . i had pizza the other day and i was absolutely sick and I had pasta even if its whole wheat i feel sick.
  • BelleVegan77
    BelleVegan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me there is nothing wrong to cutting back to one serving of carbs a day but not to cut them out completely you body needs them, your brain functions on carbs as I understand it and a zero carb high protien diet can be very hard on some digestive organs like your kidneys for instance.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    LOW carb not NO carb