Heart rate problems

Options
My heart rate wont go up when im on the treadmill is stays right around 130. The treadmill says it should be around 156 and it just keeps inclining, the only way it goes up is if i jog and i can only jog for about 30 seconds then im so out of breath i have to walk again but my heart rate goes right back down to 130. How do i keep it up?

Replies

• UnknownDeity
    Options
    With the jog, no pain no gain ;)

i'm the opposite, mine goes up too much haha
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you chose a program on the treadmill that's based in heart rate zones - stop using it. For fat burning/weight loss they are pointless. Choose a manual option if you can.
  • kelly52288
    Options
    what should i try to keep my heart rate at?
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    "Maximum" heart rate is usually quoted at about 200 minus your age. The traditional wisdom is to aim for 80-85% max if you are doing cardio.
  • kelly52288
    Options
    i cant imagine keeping my heart rate at 175...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You don't need to try and keep your heart rate anywhere.

The heart rate zones are fairly inaccurate. And yes, at a certain percentage of your max heart rate, you do burn more calories from fat, however, your overall calories burned will be low as this zone keeps your heart rate/effort down.
    At a higher zone, your percent of fat burned will be lower, however your overall calories burned are much higher, so the total fat calories burned is also higher.

Work at a good effort for you.
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what your heart rate is at unless you have a medical condition. Otherwise just jog until you can't anymore then walk until you catch your breath a bit then jog again....gradually decrease walking time and increase jogging time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Keep jogging. If you never push yourself you'll never improve. I'd have a hard time getting my heart rate over 130 walking! If you want better cardio fitness you have to push out of your comfort zone.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    increase the intensity by either increasing speed or incline or even both! a good rule of thumb is if you can carry on a conversation easily, you are not working hard enough. Increase intensity slowly until you can only get out short sentences and stick with it! =)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    "Maximum" heart rate is usually quoted at about 200 minus your age. The traditional wisdom is to aim for 80-85% max if you are doing cardio.

220 minus your age * 80%
  • TracyTallan
    Options
    I don't want to alarm you, but have you talked to a Dr. about it? Our 9 yr. old son did a stress test on a treadmill. The Cardiologist was concerned when his heart rate and blood pressure didn't rise. Could you please at least call a nurse hotline. It's probably nothing, but it would make me feel better. I don't know you but I care about people and their hearts.:smile:
  • Jiggle_all_the_way
    Options
    If you are on Beta Blockers, those can artificially lower your heart rate. Definitely something you should talk to your doctor about.