Pregnant

Options
Im about 6 weeks pregnant and I am so nervous about gaining all the weight back that I lost. With my first daughter I gained almost 60 lbs :sad: and I cannot let that happen again. Any suggestions on how to eat right and safe exercise's????

Replies

• jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    Remember that you're not eating for 2. That's a start. I know people who have continued running up to a month before delivery. I chose to swim throughout my pregnancies, and I gained about 25 pounds with each.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I just responded to another pregnancy thread, so I'm going to copy/paste.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    Here are my two cents...

You don't "NEED" any "extra" calories until your 3rd trimester and even then you only need a few hundred more. (like 300)
    So you eating at YOUR maintenance calories is all you need, until you reach about 28 weeks... So don't overdo it with the whole "I'm eating for two" mentality. Indulge in those cravings though. :bigsmile: They're incessant and won't just go away.

You can still exercise while pregnant. (obviously, you'll want to consult with your Dr if you have specific concerns), but generally speaking women who were exercising prior to getting pregnant can, and should continue to exercise if possible.

Don't stress too much again the weight gain. It'll be ok. You are after all growing a human... :happy:

Again, congratulations.
  • SkinnyJoEllen
    SkinnyJoEllen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern. I gained closer to 70 pounds with my first baby, and it took me over two years to lose it all (well, 6 months once I really buckled down). I got pregnant again as soon as I had lost all of my weight.

I'm 23 weeks along with my second pregnancy, and already gained 20 pounds! It scares me even more because I didn't gain any of my weight in the first pregnancy until after 20 weeks.

I just started using MFP again to help keep myself on track and make sure that my perceptions of what I'm eating are in line with what I'm actually eating. I'm also going to start working out 7 days a week (easy workouts instead of rest days), instead of the 3 days a week I've been doing.

There's no reason why we can't do a better job of keeping our weight down this pregnancy than we did the last time! We can do it!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take any dietary or exercise advice from anyone other than my doctor while pregnant. I'm assuming that you have a doctor, so I think that for your child's sake, you should ask your doctor and not random people online. If you ask a question on this and any other site, you will get a thread of contradicting answers.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help I've been simply ravenous with the pregnancy. I'm in my 21st week and its already starting to hurt to move.

Remember weight gain is normal and healthy in pregnancy. At birth the child, placenta, breast tissue, water retention, and blood volume can account for 25-35lbs.
  • Motivated_mp
    Motivated_mp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advise
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I just responded to another pregnancy thread, so I'm going to copy/paste.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    Here are my two cents...

You don't "NEED" any "extra" calories until your 3rd trimester and even then you only need a few hundred more. (like 300)
    So you eating at YOUR maintenance calories is all you need, until you reach about 28 weeks... So don't overdo it with the whole "I'm eating for two" mentality. Indulge in those cravings though. :bigsmile: They're incessant and won't just go away.

You can still exercise while pregnant. (obviously, you'll want to consult with your Dr if you have specific concerns), but generally speaking women who were exercising prior to getting pregnant can, and should continue to exercise if possible.

Don't stress too much again the weight gain. It'll be ok. You are after all growing a human... :happy:

Again, congratulations.

^^^ This. Well said.

Do talk to your doctor about how much weight gain is healthy. If you're normal weight now, I think it's around 30 pounds.

Set calories to maintenance and track everything. Eat back your exercise calories, and try to not be too far under your daily allotment. (This is what I did when I was pregnant). At the third trimester, you can just set it to gain 1/2 pound to 1 pound per week. And then, always listen to your doctor if there are any concerns about you not gaining, and adjust as necessary.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    tell your OBGYN
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump for a friend