Running Help

Options
2»

Replies

• mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would only apply the 10% rule once you have got to a decent standard, if someone could only run to the end of the road and added only 10% a week they would be retired before they got up tp 5k, when i started i just ran till i was out of energy, naturally you will run further as you get fitter and will make leaps on some runs, set a goal distance(5k say) and once reached try to bring your time down

Always remember discomfort is fine pain is bad, you have to work your heart to get fitter

THIS!!! And, go slower than you want to at first and it'll allow you to run way longer. I was doing HIIT early in the day and walking with a friend at night, then one day my friend couldn't walk so I decided to try to run...my HRM was screaming at me and my calories burned was AWESOME...I've scrapped HIIT (for now) to focus on running--I still walk with my friend in the evenings, but now I run in the mornings. I'm not super fast or anything but I CAN actually run, without stopping for an extended period (that period keeps getting longer every few days) and I run almost everyday--do what feels "right" for your body!
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well if it's your dream to just take off and run, the C25K program is designed to get you to that point. Maybe you find it boring, but you are doing it with a goal. After completing week 6, all the interval training is done, week 7, 8 and 9 are all non-stop running. So if that's what it takes, 6 boring weeks of intervals, to get to that point where you can run for longer periods of time, it sounds like a good investment of your time and effort.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Were you really bored with C25K or was it too hard? C25K or something like that is a good way to train and improve.

Besides running, strengthening your core, strengthening your upper body, and working on your cardio are all important ingredients to set yourself up for success. In fact, without knowing much about you, I'd be willing to guess that if you did some cross train program (like the 30 Day Shred) religiously for thirty days straight, running the day before you started that program (to see where you are) and then running the day after you finished the program (to see how far you'd come), you'd be surprised to see how much your running had improved due to your enhanced core, strength, and cardio/aerobic capability.

After years away from running (due, in part, to an Achilles rupture and resulting/subsequent weight gain), I started running again this May. I'd tried in the end of March to run but was discouraged when I couldn't make it around the high school track once without stopping. I bought 30 DS and then did that for about five weeks straight (I did the 30 days and then did a few more). Then, a co-worker asked me if I wanted to do a 5k with her. I was worried considering my last attempt at running was pretty impotent, but I said yes anyway. I was surprised that I did the 5k in about 35 min. I thought maybe I had a chance.

I downloaded the Runkeeper app and started using it to help train. I started the Beginner Half Marathon training schedule and have, over the past few months increased my speed and distance capability. For "funsies", I ran a 5k last night to see how I'd do. It took me a little under 26 minutes (approx 8:35 min per mile). Not too shabby.

I'm running a Half Marathon on Saturday. Based on my workouts this summer, I know I can finish it running the whole way, now I just have to see how quickly I can do it.

Running is fun. Prepare your body for it, pick a workout schedule, be relentless, and good luck.:drinker:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What Don't you like about c25k? I loved it and am now training for a 10 mile. You can always start mud way through if its too easy at first.
  • sfhudgens
    sfhudgens Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... today the kids and I walked and then we would run a little ways then walk... I didn't time it becauser own pace... i figure i wil be the tortise in the tortise and the hare lol.... my son is worried about not being in shape so I figure he and I will get in shape together!
  • s982408
    Options
    Thats perfect. When I started running 3 years ago, I began on a treadmill. I could only run for about 30 sec. I was 20 lbs overweight and smoked 1 pack a day. Now I am running 20 to 30 miles a week. Just get started and be kind to yourself your endurance will increase.