Really down tonight

Options
So my husband recently lost like 30 lbs in record time. Like, literally, he started looking at a glass of water and lost weight. I'm happy for him, I really am, but I can't help comparing my weight loss to his. He looks great and I still have soooooo much to lose. Like so much. I find myself getting bitter when he talks about his weight loss and I don't want to be that way. Help.

Replies

• Slivnfree
    Slivnfree Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For one stop stressing over it! That make you gain weight. Then ask him for help! What better coach then your hubby. Stopping thinking that it is so easy because it is not. Yes he may have loss weight and looks great but more if not close to all have to put in the effort to get the results. You can do it!
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My hubby is just naturally athletic, eats whatever he wants etc and has not moved from 180-ish since high school (we are 38)
    I struggle for any and very pound. The only thing I can say is "we choose our mood"---sometimes we need to refocus/ remotivate ourselves.
    Keep your chin up---you are not alone
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It is disheartening seeing people around you lose weight faster than you can. I've been stuck at my weight for the past 20 months! But what I can tell you is that weight is not the be all and end all of everything. I have focussed on getting fitter and stronger. I no longer view my body as a connection of wobbly bits, but as a machine that can haul my still chunky *kitten* around 26.2 miles. I don't compare myself to others- I only try to be better than I was before. That approach has really worked for me, otherwise I think I would have just lay down and ate myself into a coma.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, We are all different and we gain and we lose weight differently. Use your husbands loss to motivate you, not upset you. He is healthier after losing that weight.
    You can do it also. it might take you longer. But if eat better and increase your activity, you are going to lose weight and by taking time to lose it, you will have the discipline to keep it off. Just look at how good he looks and just imagine how good you are going to look. You have motivation right in front of your eyes !!!

Best of luck !!! Let me know how you are doing

Basil
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Aw, please don't be down. Men lose weight easier than we do. My husband only has to cut out alcohol for a couple of weeks, and the pounds come off like crazy. How long have you been at this? Hopefully you are failthfully logging all of your meals and exercise. Once you get to say the 10 pound mark, you will start to feel excited and validated in your efforts.

But, in the mean time, keep up your good work, and tell your husband how proud you are of him.
  • shoequeennz
    Options
    Don't forget that men lose weight so much easier than women do regardless of their age. This is your journey and you don't need to compare it with his. He can be your support crew (and you his) but you can't compare because that just isn't fair on you. You just need to do your thing and the fact that he has lost weight means that he won't be wanting to eat junk food either, so that will be good support for you too.

I have worked out recently after 30 years of yo yo dieting, that it really doesn't matter how long it takes for you to reach your goal just as long as you are working towards it. The sun will come up each day and the time will pass regardless so we may as well be working towards being the person we want to be however slow that journey may be. Better to take time and do it properly and to change the habits of a lifetime and for the weight to be lost forever.

Don't feel down - you will still reach your goal if you keep going and it's not a race that you need to win. Be the tortoise not the hare :)
  • Photogg
    Options
    Don't stress out to much about, one we are all different and will all lose our weight at different times. Two Men have this great and wonderful thing that is a little more active then us Women and it is their metabolism. I work with guys who just stop drinking alcohol for two or three months and turn into their younger selves.....enough to make you sick, but it is just the way some guys work. But us woman where built to hold on to fat, for child baring, But like a lot of us we have just added on more then we need for that......me included and I do not even have kids. But that is they way were are built. So we need to kick start our metabolism. To do that is not to let yourself get too hungry .......snaking in between meals so it never slows down but good snacks, like veggie stick, almonds or other nuts in small amounts. And water

Just give him a kick in the butt every once in awhile and remind him you still need his support in this journey you both started together. Just think when you get to goal weight and I know you will, you will look soooo much hotter then him......cause girl that is in our nature lol
    Chin up and feel free to add me
    Photogg
  • Christine_100
    Options
    Hi, I feel your pain. When I go on a diet my husband instantly loses weight eventhough he's always been fit and thin - because I cook healthier meals and we stop drinking beer etc. Then he has to start eating ice cream etc for dessert to keep his weight on. Men are just totally different than we are and most have never or rarely dieted so their bodies metabolisms are less screwed up then ours.
    There's really nothing you can do about it except keep going on your own plan at your own pace. :happy: