How often do you weigh ?

Options
Just wondering how often you weigh . I'm seriously considering taking a break from the scale . When it's going down I love it but when it goes up I get upset . I was up Monday and I've felt down ever since. There's no reason for me to allow a scale to steal my happiness . I'm strongly thinking of concentrating on cleaning up my diet and the feel of my clothes. Your thoughts please ...

Replies

• armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I'm not focused on the number on the scale so much anymore. I do my weigh in on the scale but most importantly for me are my measurements with the tape measure. Sometimes you may not lose many pounds but the inches you've shed from various parts of your body are usually encouraging when you exercise regularly.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing as you. My happiness would be determined by the scale. I lost over 40 pounds and worked my way up to running. Exercise was a huge part of my life. I had a job change and gained back half of that weight. The one thing I realized is it doesn't matter what the scale says, it matters how you feel.

I've started working out and eating healthy again and I refuse to weigh myself..why? It doesn't matter what the scale says, it matters how I feel.

Just my opinion..but don't let the scale discourage you. Right now you might not see the changes fast enough but over time you will! Patience
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice, like most things. I weigh in pretty much daily, but I pay attention to the number on Trendweight, not the number on the scale today. Because I've seen the daily fluctuations, they don't bother me as much - I know that my weight can change by a pound or two just from drinking my morning water or using the bathroom.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Once a week but I don't expect a loss every week n I never even lose the same each week so now it's more of a surprise if I lose anything. The scale is just a scale it can't tell u how good your feeling or if a pants that was to tight months ago now fits. Just don't focus to much on the number u see.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Around once every other week. Weight can fluctuate around 5lbs any given day, even if you weigh before eating anything in the morning depending on what you ate the previous night. Especially the week before my period when I tend to retain more water than usual. These factors can make the scale read as if I haven't lost anything when I might have.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Every two weeks. Am going to once a month next month. I was going to do that this month bit changed my caloric deficit and want to make sure it working for me.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but log every Monday.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to not get bummed out when the number on the scale goes up, is to weigh yourself every day. Once you realize that up and down fluctuations are perfectly normal and you see the overall trend of your weight going down, a couple of days of weight gain or plateauing won't bother you at all.

PKsoTJB.png?1
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    that's sound advice.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For me this is true
    The easiest way to not get bummed out when the number on the scale goes up, is to weigh yourself every day. Once you realize that up and down fluctuations are perfectly normal and you see the overall trend of your weight going down, a couple of days of weight gain or plateauing won't bother you at all.

PKsoTJB.png?1
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    The scale is depressing, and I don't weigh very often anymore................although I don't want it to creep back up too much, so when I feel that happening, I weight to make sure it's not a horrific number!

I have stayed within 5 lbs for over a year................so am feeling good about that............
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    Im having the exact same problem. I was 187 on Tues. Yesterday and today Im 192. Ive been eating right and exercising everyday. The only thing is. on Tues. I weighed myself first thing in the A.M. and yesterday and today I weighed myself at night after I had ate and drank a whole bunch of water. Your goal is to lose a certain weight EVERY WEEK...so I would suggest to only weigh yourself EVERY WEEK. Otherwise you will get discouraged and drive yourself crazy. Every dietician and fitness expert would advise you to not weigh yourself any more than once a week because it is only natural for your weight to fluctuate.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    On my very first successful weight loss journey, back in the late 90s/early 00s, I didn't weigh at all. The first time I weighed myself was in an exercise class in college and I was shocked to see I'd lost a good 60-70 lbs.

This journey has been in two increments. I barely weighed myself the first 45 lbs. Maintained that loss for a year and a half (fluxing back and forth). Started a new approach in the late spring and was losing a lot of weight, fast. I got into daily weighing. I became a bit obsessive watching the scale drops, so I stopped.

I haven't stepped on the scale since the end of August. I've decided I won't step on it again until a certain pair of old jeans are loose. I couldn't even pull them over my thighs when I last weighed, and now they are getting baggy in the legs but are still snug on the waistline. I know pretty much what my weight will look like when I do get on the scale again, and I'm looking so, so forward to the surprise.