21 Day Elimination Diet

Options
Hi all!

I am just starting the 21 day Elimination Diet of the clean program. I am overweight and have many health issues which I think (hope?) relate to food allergies.

Has anyone done this program before? Any advice? Ideas for recipes, snacks, ect?

Looking for some motivation...

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I am just starting the 21 day Elimination Diet of the clean program. I am overweight and have many health issues which I think (hope?) relate to food allergies.

Has anyone done this program before? Any advice? Ideas for recipes, snacks, ect?

Looking for some motivation...

Motivation? For this? No.
    You have health issues.....go chat with your doctor.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying this as well to see if I have a gluten sensitivity. Haven't tried it ever before. Do it for you, you don't need approval from other people if its for your health!

And nomeejerome, some people do not have money to go to the doctor for every little thing that can be done at home on your own.
  • wanderinggypsy
    Options
    I did one in July! I found out in April that I'm sensitive to wheat, and my doctor recommended a 21-day elimination diet to test for other issues. I gave up dairy, eggs, gluten, corn, soy, and peanuts for the 3 weeks, and it actually wasn't that terrible. I read a LOT beforehand and based my cleanse off of Kris Carr's "Crazy Sexy Diet" and Alejandro Junger's "Clean" and "Wheat Belly" (I forget who wrote that). They all had really good ideas for dealing with cravings and had helpful recipes. I also gave up most sugar products (candy, soda, etc) but allowed myself one dark piece of chocolate a day (70% cocoa or greater). I lost about 8 lbs in the 3 weeks and learned some really good habits along the way. I did NOT give up meat....although the books recommended that. I didn't mind giving up the six potential allergens (and sugar), but I love me some bacon and venison steak:)

A big part of my cleanse was making sure I was loaded up on nutrients, so I made a green juice every morning and usually a smoothie at night. I found out I loved that, so I've continued doing it. That way I'm guaranteed to get my fruits and veggies in every day!

Turns out, I'm slightly sensitive to corn, but nothing that I can't deal with. Everything else was okay. I found it helpful to talk to my doctor beforehand and during.

Good luck!
  • M_M_B
    M_M_B Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind advice. To be clear my doctor is aware that I am doing this and he thinks that it is a good idea. I am halfway through day 2 and while I am not craving anything I do have a brutal headache that is swiftly morphing into a migraine. Hoping that that will go away!
  • HabitsofLife
    HabitsofLife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Water!!! You need water. You're not hydrating enough. You think you are with all the drinks, but you needs to drink lots of water during the 21 days. when I did my last year, my only down fall was water, I thought I was drinking enough, I needed more than I thought.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this but I suffer from migraines, you need to hydrate like habits said.

Now that I know what it is I don't see a problem with it. And I'm glad you are working with your doctor!
  • M_M_B
    Options
    I kind of wonder if it is a lack of sodium that is causing the headache? I drink a TON of water so I am not worried about that but I have only reached 750 sodium for the past two days according to my online tracking. I don't add salt to anything and I always buy salt-free products. Is this bad?
  • vlarocque
    Options
    Withdrawal of allergens causes headaches. Drink water, sleep for a while and don't quit the diet!
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I kind of wonder if it is a lack of sodium that is causing the headache? I drink a TON of water so I am not worried about that but I have only reached 750 sodium for the past two days according to my online tracking. I don't add salt to anything and I always buy salt-free products. Is this bad?

YES, lack of salt can mess up your electrolytes. I follow IF, and when I get a headache I need sodium. I either have some bullion (water in that) or a V-8. Not low sodium. Takes a while, but the headaches goes away.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you're getting some serious heat exposure or sweat time common sense says salt might be helpful... let a medical person help you figure out how much to add unless you've got experience dealing with this and know your body well enough.
  • M_M_B
    Options
    I have had headaches for years and usually they are solved with sugar, haha. Not really an option here. The Dr hasn't been able to help except to recommend medications. Anyways, planning to get lots of sleep over the next couple of days, go to a yoga class, get a bit more sodium in me and hope that that helps. Thanks so much for all of the advice!