Evening Running in Illinois Advice

Options
So, I just started running again 2 months ago, and the main reason was because running has always helped me shed weight. I used to run all the time about 8-10 years ago but only 3-5 miles a day not a marathon runner or anything.

Anyway, life has changed and was running in the evening before dark. However, now it's dark so early and we don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood. Can I get some advice on what type of gear I should be wearing running at night AND keeping in mind that it's getting colder? How bad is running outside during the winter?

I've only been on this site a few weeks and very happy with the resources and support. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Thanks,

Dan

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Reebok has some reflective wear, and I would suggest reflective running shoes. My husband does a lot of bicycling and walking, and he always wears his reflective gear when going out in the evening. I'm in Illinois too!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Definitely reflective gear! There are some head lamps that you can strap on your head to make sure you can see the ground ... I would consider a trip to ****'s or another (not necessarily running) sports store to ask what they have, or a quick trip around some running websites. I'm sure there are a thousand lists for what to wear when running in the dark.

I know almost all of my running specialty clothes have some reflectiveness somewhere, but I'd go for more reflecting than not.

Also - those Army tee shirts have a reflective A on the back. Maybe a military surplus store will get you good gear for less money! Good luck :smile:
  • jacksonalan
    Options
    I agree with the reflective items. You should be able to find reflective vests/jackets at WalMart, Tractor Supply stores, or any of the big sporting goods stores. I go out before dawn for 6-8 miles. I have a mesh vest with orange/yellow striping on the front and the back. It has two velcro straps to keep it a tight fit.

I had to be somewhere early this morning and out of nowhere came a woman with dark clothing. She was jogging with a leashed dog. I usually see her on my morning runs.... I plan on chewing her out tomorrow... I could have hit her.

Please, please, please, ALWAYS face oncoming traffic! We've had two people killed in my area this past year who were walking with traffic. One driver was drunk, the other took off and never was found.

In the winter, a pair of sweatpants over the jogging shorts, a hooded sweatshirt and gloves (I use fingerless gloves). In the summer I'll wear a ballcap with a mesh top to let the steam escape.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I live in new england and ran all of last winter. I started running last summer. I love running in the dark! You definitely need a reflective vest or jacket, and a hand-held flashlight so that you can shine it where motorists can see it. I carry one and shine it at cars as they approach me. I live in the country and there are no street lights. I am also always ready to jump into the ditch if necessary! My dog runs with me and she has a reflective collar. A headlamp is also helpful.

I have a jacket from Eddie Bauer called the "360." It is the perfect weight for any temp below 20 degrees. I usually wear it with just a t-shirt, but I will wear a fleece thermal underneath if it is below zero. Never wear cotton. I do wear cotton sweat pants over my tights, but my legs dont' really sweat when it is cold, but I never wear it on my upper body or feet. I layer tights and sweat pants for really cold temps and always wear a hat and gloves. I don't do anything different for my feet. Super thin socks and my shoes. I do have ice cleats for my shoes but I haven't had to wear them yet.

Good luck!