Trying to move more - help! :)

Options
Hi all! I'm a slooow loser. And I need to pick it up a notch..... or 5! :wink:

Tell me, on average, how much exercise do you get in...?

I have pretty much got my eating down, I'm consistently under my calories and try to eat at least some of my exercise calories when I earn them. The MOVING MORE part is where I struggle. I know it's essential to weight loss, so I'm trying to work some more activity into my life.

Currently, I walk almost daily over my lunch break - usually about 30 minutes. It's not EXTREME, but I do get my heart rate up, I get warm and start to "glow". :smile:

About every other day or so, I do Jillian's 30 Day Shred. I wear my HRM and usually burn around 300 calories.

When I don't Shred it - I usually walk the dog. I aim to burn about 200 calories during our walk... so the time varies.

I'm not really losing any weight... so please help. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

What does your activity look like on a typical week?

THANKS!

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are moving enough. How fast are you walking? Maybe you aren't drinking enough water or getting enough sleep. Try drinking a gallon of water a day and sleeping for at least 7 to 8 hours a night. Drinking all that water will make you visit the restroom more often, but it definitely works! Also, you could be losing inches. Have you tried measuring yourself with a tape measure? See if you can see a difference with that in about a week. Good luck!!
  • adrienc
    Options
    weight loss is 70% diet, 30% exercise.

So make sure you're getting an healthier diet, keep away from processed food as much as you can, keep your sugar/sodium intake in MFP recommended intakes values (check your food diary for tracking how good you're doing with that), and drink plenty of water.

Stick with this plan at least for one week, and you should see the results on the scale, and this will give you enough motivation for keeping up with healthier food habits for a long time!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That's excellent advice about measuring yourself. When I first started losing weight, I was doing a lot of cardio and the pounds were flying off. I started lifting weights and decreased the cardio because I noticed I was losing muscle. Since then, my weight loss has decreased dramatically, but my waist measurements keep going down while my arms, legs and chest measurements have increased, so I know that I'm still losing fat, but I'm gaining muscle at the same time. If your measurements don't appear to be decreasing, your body may have just gotten used to the routine, so you may have to shake things up a bit. Maybe some light strength training or do interval walks ( fast for one minute, normal for a minute, etc) or introduce some different exercises into your workouts. Good luck and keep at it!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Change it up a little, and make sure you're getting enough water and watching your sodium. I didn't look at your diary, so I don't even know if it's open, but these are the BIG THREE that I find are helping me. I drink between 8 and 12 cups of water per day, and if I'm over on my sodium I try to do a minimum of 12.

As for exercise, I log cleaning my house (and our accounts; we own a janitorial service) PLUS I try to do aerobics at least 4 times a week. I also walk sometimes, but I rarely take the dog because she stops too much :). Just change things up once in a while and see what works for you.

I don't know how much weight you have to lose, but I'm in a group to lose 100+ pounds, and our wonderful group leader Carol posts weekly challenges for us. These challenges help me to change it up and trick my body out of getting into a rut. If you would like to join our group you are more than welcome: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/119545-join-me-100-pounds-to-lose?page=7.
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!

Going forward, I will definitely up the water intake. I always hit my 8 glasses a day, but a little something more couldn't hurt.

I'll also keep a closer eye on my sodium, I have been known to go over.... no good!

Thank you guys! I appreciate it! :)

PS - I have taken measurements, I guess it's time to take some more, just to see! :)