Headaches during/after working out

I sometimes get raging headaches during or after my workouts, especially intense cardio. They last the rest of the night and sometimes linger into the next day. Mostly on the right side, base of my skull, in my temple, and behind my eye. Feel it on the left too, but not like I do on the right.

What could be causing them? And how do I prevent them?

Carol

Replies

• Hi, I get headaches when I work out and my doctor said that I was dehydrating and not breathing deeply enough. There could also be something in the environment that you are allergic/sensitive to. I have to carry a water bottle with me always because I get a headache just from walking, generally about 3-5 miles each time. Try breathing more deeply and drinking tons of water when you work out. Each headache I get is generally faded by a big drink of water. Good luck!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Drink more water a few hours b4. Could also b low blood sugar.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Drink more water, check yourself for allergies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    One sided headaches could be migraines.

Definitely can be caused by exercise, lack of hydration, among other things. Try a Magnesium supplement.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    plz be sure to get it checked out medically rather than just assuming it is some thing you can get advice about here. It may be dehydration or blood pressure issues, but if you have them frequently (like my husband does), there could be more serious medical issues. Not meaning to scare you, but you definitely want to see your PCP and likely will get referred to a neurologist to be on the safe side.
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Have you seen a healthcare provider? Always best to rule out anything serious and take it from there.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    I agree that you should ask your doctor, but when I asked my doctor about the same problem (headaches during long runs), she said that I was probably low on sodium. I started eating the Maragarita flavored Shot Blox during long runs - they have 2x the sodium of the regular Shot Blox. You can also just buy and use salt tabs. It solved the problem immediately.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    I get this mostly if it's too hot.

I didn't get headaches if I went running in winter and I got awful headaches in summer.

I also get headaches if I don't run for a while (like a month or two) and then start doing intense running again.

If I regularly run I don't get headaches unless I push myself a lot. And then drink a lot of water and take a paracetamol I am fine.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    I get this too. Most of the time a snack and a lot of water helps. When it doesn't I swallow some migraine meds and take a nap.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    I had those when I started running. Could only do 25 min and slowly increase the time each week. Listen to your body. Good news is a year later I can run for 3 hours with no headaches at all. So there is hope.
  • CarolAmanda
    CarolAmanda Posts: 84 Member
    Thank you, everyone. I had assumed it was dehydration or low blood sugar, but your'e right - I should probably talk to my doctor. It's killing me right now and I can't sleep.

Carol
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    My one-sided headaches turned out to be caused by my neck. Chiropractor had me fixed in no time!

Definitely get checked to rule out all the above suggestions, as well as neck/back issues. It's hard enough to keep up the ambition to work out without pain.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Sometimes I have those too... I try to drink extra water and maybe a couple of smoked almonds. Sometimes it helps a lot!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Caffeine causes NASTY headaches. If you're taking any workout/energy supplements, see if they contain caffeine. I have the same symptoms if I drink more than one cup of coffee.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    My one-sided headaches turned out to be caused by my neck. Chiropractor had me fixed in no time!

Definitely get checked to rule out all the above suggestions, as well as neck/back issues. It's hard enough to keep up the ambition to work out without pain.

My neck/back problem causes headaches at the base of the skull around to the temples. Mine is set off mainly by exercise, could also be related to posture.

Definitely go to the doctors as it could be any of the above things mentioned.
  • britelite3169
    britelite3169 Posts: 18 Member

Sounds silly but really it could be neck or back as mentioned, also high blood pressure and migrains....see a doctor. Probably getting de-hydrated but best to check.
  • indysteve
    indysteve Posts: 13 Member
    bump