McDonalds VS Subway

Options
What I have came to realize in the last litte while is calorie counting can be confusing. I would normally assume that Subway would be better choice for calorie counting VS McDonalds.

and when i sat down and looked that the options, I was incorrect...

Subway meals may claim to have more nutritional value but also more calories. if you have a mcdonalds meal generally, they are lower in calories!!!!

I just wanted to bring it to your attention that these places that claim they are healthy,or low fat, do not claim they are low in calories.

Its tricky marketing to get people to eat fast food guilt free,and think they are eating healthy.

I realized the "jared" diet was bullsh"t. I ate more mcdonalds and lost weigh than i did subway. It was almost impossible to lose weight eating subway (well anything good at least). Jared worked out and ate like veggie subs with no cheese, and jared isnt 120 lbs, he is thinner than he was, but i wouldnt say he is in great shape (i would say im in better shape, and im still on here)

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Subway may be higher in calories, but I would take any subway meal over a McDonald's meal any day. Fresh vegetables, lunchmeat and bread is so much better for your body than the food McDonald's serves.

Quality is just as important, if not more so, than quantity. You may be able to lose weight eating McDonalds, but I can guarantee you would feel better in the long run staying away from food like that.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I really dont like to eat at either one, Jimmy Johns is where its at!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes lower calories doesn't mean its better. You typically have many more healthy choices at Subway or similar restaurants. You need to look at the big picture, which isn't just about calories. Its the quality of the food as well. :smile:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with subway is that a 6' Sub is $4.50 and a foot long is $5, so of course you buy the footlong, not realizing you just ate 900-1000 cals and 3k mg of sodium.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    The problem I have with subway is that a 6' Sub is $4.50 and a foot long is $5, so of course you buy the footlong, not realizing you just ate 900-1000 cals and 3k mg of sodium.

Yeah - I don't eat at subway much anymore due to the sodium in the meat and breads. Plus, I don't eat bread much anymore. It's much more satisfying to make my own meals, and a lot cheaper, too!
  • Bolton1983
    Bolton1983 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree, but dont forget eirther way its fast food, neither of them is a great option, subway may be "healthier" but higher in calories.

So my point is...

dont forget its fast food.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I buy the footlong and eat half one day and half the next day. Just because you buy it doesn't mean you have to eat it all.

There are options at Subway that can make it really bad. There aren't many options at McDonalds that are good. Besides, you get to add all the veggies you want at Subway, when can you do that at McDonalds?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Subway has less fat than McDonalds, and Subways molds. Leave McDonalds in the back of your car for a year & it won't mold. Do you really want to eat something that even mold doesn't want? Ew.

I'll take Subways any day. And there are ways to get around the high calorie issue (ditch the cheese, extra veggies, hollow out the roll, choose lower cal/lower fat dressings like balsamic vinegar)
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It depends are your choices at each place... When I go to subway my meal is about 350 calories.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Pick up a copy of Tom Naughton's "Fat Head" and enjoy. The man lost 12lb in 28 days of eating fast food for three meals a day -- excluded full sugar drinks, kept his carbs to 100g or less per day, and ate roughly 2000 calories per day. His blood panels/body composition came out better after eating the fast food than it was going into the experiment. And no, it wasn't all salads -- it was stuff most people would scream over as being the source of the obesity epidemic (http://fathead-movie.com/content/MyFoodLog.htm).
  • taosan
    taosan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The number of calories in a meal isn't even half the picture. If you'd bring glycemic load, saturated fats and whatnot into the equation the difference between a Subway meal and McD meals is day and night.

Nothing spikes your insulin like a good jolt of salt, fat and sugars like McD serves them up. In turn causing a rapid lowering of blood glucose levels that will then in turn make you feel hungry again about 45 minutes after that 600 kcal of Big Mac.

Nuh uh, McD = evil

If you want to see what their food does to you I recommend the movie "Supersize Me". It would be really entertaining if it wasn't so scary. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If you want to see what their food does to you I recommend the movie "Supersize Me". It would be really entertaining if it wasn't so scary. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

And it wouldn't be so scary if you knew how pathetic that movie actually is:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333994/
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Pick up a copy of Tom Naughton's "Fat Head" and enjoy. The man lost 12lb in 28 days of eating fast food for three meals a day -- excluded full sugar drinks, kept his carbs to 100g or less per day, and ate roughly 2000 calories per day. His blood panels/body composition came out better after eating the fast food than it was going into the experiment. And no, it wasn't all salads -- it was stuff most people would scream over as being the source of the obesity epidemic (http://fathead-movie.com/content/MyFoodLog.htm).

No offense, but I'd rather get healthy by eating non-processed foods - REAL food with fruits and veggies and protein that hasn't been pre-chewed/shot up with chemicals and manipulated. I do believe that most people eat too many carbs and not enough protein, but the answer is not to turn to a fast food diet. I KNOW how my body feels when I eat that stuff and I know how addicting it can be. You can lose weight eating almost anything, but that doesn't mean it is good for us. I'll take a home-made burger with a side of veggies over McDonalds/fast food any day.

I've never seen "supersize me" so I can't comment on that, but check this book out for a new understanding of the food industry as a whole and what fast food is doing to you that you can't necessarily see by looking at the scale (backed by lots of legitimate research) : http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating-Insatiable-American-Appetite/dp/1605297852
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    The problem is more the people going than the food itself, IMO. People go to Subway and assume it will be healthy, then get the meatball sub with extra cheese, or slather a crap-ton of mayo on. Its true that even McDs has healthy options, but the problem with America isn't the food itself, its people's attitude toward it (demonstrated, I think, by the Fat Head example - haven't seen it though).

You can get fat off of any food if you eat enough of it. Personally, I'll take roasted chicken breast, sans cheese at Subway any day before I go to McDs.

That is, of course, why I take issue with people trying to sue restaurant chains for "making" them fat.
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kimberly7987. I get the wheat bread with the chicken or turkey, mustard, no mayo, no cheese and tons of veggies... hold the salt/pepper, oil vinegar please!!! It's yummy too!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The sandwich I get everytime is 400 even calories. Just a breakfast sandwich at McDonald's is 300 calories and has more fat than my Subway sandwich... and will make me hungry quicker and the english muffin is a lot worse for me than the wheat bread or flatbread.

Lower calories isn't always better. Just because you're on a calorie deficit diet, doesn't mean you're on a low calorie diet. Personally for me, every other day, I'm STRUGGLING to eat all my calories because I do a work out that burns 500 calories. So for me, it's not about low calorie. It's about BETTER options, HEALTHIER foods... treating my body with respect and not pumping it full of fat just because it's "lower" calories than Subway. Nope.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options

No offense, but I'd rather get healthy by eating non-processed foods - REAL food with fruits and veggies and protein that hasn't been pre-chewed/shot up with chemicals and manipulated. I do believe that most people eat too many carbs and not enough protein, but the answer is not to turn to a fast food diet. I KNOW how my body feels when I eat that stuff and I know how addicting it can be. You can lose weight eating almost anything, but that doesn't mean it is good for us. I'll take a home-made burger with a side of veggies over McDonalds/fast food any day.

I've never seen "supersize me" so I can't comment on that, but check this book out for a new understanding of the food industry as a whole and what fast food is doing to you that you can't necessarily see by looking at the scale (backed by lots of legitimate research) : http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating-Insatiable-American-Appetite/dp/1605297852

Still this http://fathead-movie.com/content/MyFoodLog.htm is a great reasource for people like me! A college student who needs to lose the weight and doesn't have the time to cook much (or people who cant cook, I know people that can't boil water). BTW I love subway and always get the footlong, eat half for that meal and half for another meal probably the next day.
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    half @ lunch and half for dinner
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    it is about making better and healthier choices...wherever you eat!
  • stringcheeze
    Options

None taken. :happy: I was illustrating that you can eat the dreaded fast food and remain healthy providing you do it with some thought. Tom in "Fat Head" was making a valid point, but was absolutely ecstatic to not have to eat the junk anymore after his 28 days -- if someone thinks that eating everyday at any fast food restaurant is an excellent idea, then that book you mentioned is for them.

Yes, I'm with you with making home-made burgers -- the whole cooking-at-home process makes them more satisfying. :drinker: