calorie content of homemade stew?

Options
RedSquirrelsNut
RedSquirrelsNut Posts: 19
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm a little worried this is the wrong place to post. I only signed up yesterday and I don't know my way around yet. I hope someone will point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

I'm trying to fill in my food diary. Today I'm having a homemade-in-the-crock-pot beef stew. Completely home-made from scratch, no added nasties, and out of the freezer. I can't remember how much or even what I put in it now. How do I record the calories in my food diary?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• skyby7
    Options
    Don't count it, just make sure you count the ingredient portions next time you cook it. You can try looking at it and doing a rough estimate.

What I do when I can't count the calories in something (For example I eat a friend's place) I immediatly assume the plate is 700 calories to play on the safe side, unless it's something like a simple salad, but you get the idea.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Create a recipe and record in it all the things you would usually put into that kind of stew. It will still be an estimate but better than plucking a random number out of the air.
  • RedSquirrelsNut
    Options
    It was "bottom-of-the-fridge" stew. I just used all the veggies that needed using up - can't remember what they were or how much. I used home-made stock - how can you put a calorie content on that? No idea how much liquid was added. I know that each tub was 9 - 10oz of stew though.

By the way, what's that at the top of my post - "Would you like to loose weight? Can I help, my name is Barry" Is it an ad? How awful. LOL
  • britelite3169
    britelite3169 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting, and that was the last of a batch, I would forget that day and start a fresh. It sounds like a healthy option any way. But as another post said, after this one keep a record of your ingredients and put in on your recipe page. And always follow it from then on. Isnt going to be the end of the world. If you really want to put it down then over estimate the calories.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    yes it must likely is a "Ad", pay no attention to that......as for the stew you will have to estimate..... when I do things from scratch I use the recipe finder and add all my ingredients it is a great tool and love it....hope you figure out a basic calorie for your stew!
  • RedSquirrelsNut
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. It's lovely to get so many responses, so quickly. I'll go and play with the Recipe utility now - I didn't know about that. :flowerforyou:
  • RedSquirrelsNut
    Options
    I just ate my stew, and as I ate, I created the recipe from what I could identify. I had to estimate the weights but I think I wasn't far out. It came out at 188 calories per serving. I know I used all good stuff in it, but does that sound right? It doesn't seem much.

I usually eat it with no added carbs as a lunch, and I know I get peckish at around 4pm. Maybe that is the right amount. My breakfast banana lasts me from 8am till lunch at 12, and I'm ready for lunch.

When I cook for myself and my husband at home, I always cook healthily. I don't have anything temptingly bad in the house except for chocolate. That's my only sin at home. My problem is that DH loves his takeaways, especially pizza, and I'm not good with cheese or wheat. But if he calls me on his way home and suggests that he picks up fish and chips, I cave. We probably have takeaways a couple of times a week. I'm not much over-weight, but at 5' nearly 3" and over 9st, I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I have to do something about it. I want to get down to 8 and a half stone if I can.

Right, now I have to put in my muffins recipe and find out how many calories that is, because I'm going to have one later, I can tell!
This discussion has been closed.