Ok all you Couch to 5K -ers

Options
I've seen a few posts and comments about this plan so I finally Googled it. I've always wanted to be able to jog. Maybe even someday run. To me there's something about it that seems so...... spiritual (for lack of a better word). People seems to really thrive on the rush of accomplishment. My little brother runs, there's lots of kids in my Youth Group that run for Soccer, I'd like to try it.
FIRST, I've got to ask.
When you started this, what kind of activity were you doing? (currently I'm doing Zumba 5 days a week)
What was your body type like? (being 234lbs at 5'3 I'm a little concerned about the jiggle doing damage to the joints)
Shoes? nothing too overly expensive yet... just a sturdy starter?
best time of day????

I think that's it for now. I really appreciate your feedback. I'm thinking of starting this next week!

Replies

• Jumpy324
    Options
    I've done it just remember when you get tired, just jog slower you will be very surprized how fast you can build up to running.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Well, I don't do that program, but I do run. My advice as far as shoes go- cheap is just that. Invest in a good pair. You don't have to spend 200 dollars or anything, but if you buy a cheap $12 pair at WalMart, don't expect them to last. I did that and they lasted a month. Literally. I like the Shape-Ups style shoes. The ones with those weird soles. I was skeptical and tried a pair like those, but from a different company, and I really like them. Hope that helps a little! Best of luck to you!
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 181lbs 5'4". I was not doing any exercise beyond chasing my 2 year old and picking up my 4 month old. I ran on the treadmill at 8pm just because that is the only chance I have to work out. I was never a runner but now I run 3 miles 3 nights a week on the treadmill and 3 miles outside on the weekend. I'm running my first 5k race at the end of October. As for shoes, I have new balance running shoes. They are nothing fancy. My advice would be to take it slow. I did my walk portions at 3.5 and run portions at 5.0. You can work on speed later. And don't be afraid to repeat weeks. I did most of the weeks twice. Good luck and have fun!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When you started this, what kind of activity were you doing?
    Bike riding 30 minutes/day

What was your body type like?
    I'm 5'2 and 262 pounds.

I got my sneakers for $10 from Wal-Mart and they're working fine for now.

best time of day????
    I prefer the early evening, just before the sun goes down. I have to struggle to make time to do it, and during that time the humidity is down, it's not as stifling hot and sometimes there's a breeze.
  • 6todds
    Options
    I am not what I would consider a "runner" , but I do jog about 5-6 miles 4-5 days a week. When I first started I was really overweight (now I'm just overweight). I do understand the concern about the jiggling. My advice would be to just start off slow and work your way up. I started off almost 11 months ago with walking at a very fast pace and slowly increased to a jog. My activity level was pretty low before I started. It really didn't take a whole lot to work my way up, but you just have to take it at your own pace. I don't have reallly expensive running shoes. I do have shoes that I only wear when I am running but they are not top of the line expensive ones. I agree with the "spiritual" aspect. Running has become my source of stress relieve and zoning out. There is something calming about getting on the treadmill for 60 minutes that until I was running I only was comforted by food. The only thing I can say about time of day is: My doctor said not to run to close to bed time because you will then not sleep as well. Good luck! I don't think you will be disappointed if you start!
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Shoes are different for everyone. I have problems because I have flat feet. So I need stability shoes to help prevent a lot of ankle turning and things. If you are not sure they type of shoe you need here is a website that gives you a guide of what type of shoe you need to look for. Then you can go from there as far as what kind to get after you know what type you need.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/shoes/choosing-a-shoe-the-very-basics/481.html
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I started in January, about 3 months into my weight loss journey. I was doing wii fit plus and wii biggest loser. We joined our local rec center/gym as a christmas present to ourselves. I went to payless & bought a pair of black champion runners (about $30, most comfy shoes I've EVER worn-- they are now in happy retirement, now that I have my first pair of fancy runners).
    I've never found anything spiritual about running. I've always felt more of an Ohmigosh, I'm gonna die, but I can still do this!
    As long as you keep telling your legs and feet to keep moving, they will. Running is 90% mental.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few posts and comments about this plan so I finally Googled it. I've always wanted to be able to jog. Maybe even someday run. To me there's something about it that seems so...... spiritual (for lack of a better word). People seems to really thrive on the rush of accomplishment. My little brother runs, there's lots of kids in my Youth Group that run for Soccer, I'd like to try it.
    FIRST, I've got to ask.
    When you started this, what kind of activity were you doing? (currently I'm doing Zumba 5 days a week)
    What was your body type like? (being 234lbs at 5'3 I'm a little concerned about the jiggle doing damage to the joints)
    best time of day????

I think that's it for now. I really appreciate your feedback. I'm thinking of starting this next week!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that, I've never quoted before. Anyway, I am on week 6. When I started I was 274 and 6'1". All I had been doing previously was walking. I have bad knees to begin with, but I can tell you that the shoes make all the difference. I went to a specialty running store called **** Pond and they checked out how I walk, what kind of running I wanted to do, had me try on multiple shoes and I ended up buying the Asics Gel-Cumulus 12 for 94.00. My knees rarely hurt. Most running shoes have a 300-500 mile life so Im thinking I'll need another pair in about 6 months. As for the best time of day, well, I run when I can force it into my schedule which is usually in the evening. But I really do like it.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    When you started this, what kind of activity were you doing?
    I skated flat track roller derby for a while, injured my back, spent 18 months nursing that injury/making excuses- the end of the 18 months is when I started running. I repeated every week AT LEAST once. Still go back to some of them occasionally

What was your body type like?
    I was 5'9 and 195 pounds.

Shoes?
    I started in a $50 pr of Nike's that had been in my closet for over a year. Now I wear Mizuno's (I was fitted for them, $120)

best time of day????
    I run at 5am. It's quiet, I'm not fighting the sun and I live in a jogger/biker friendly city so even then there are lots of others out!
  • jrsmithne
    Options
    I do C25K. I did a round and a half of Insanity. I am 5'4" and 185 lbs now. I was 227 when I started my journey, 197 when I started on MFP.

I don't have too much of a problem doing aerobic type of activities, I am currently doing Turbofire. Running is a problem for me. Like Trish said above Running is 90% mental. I totally totally agree with that 100%!!! If I have my daughters IPOD and have a good upbeat song on that I like, I can zone out. Otherwise, I think about how I am breathing, how tired I might be, how much time I have left before I can walk again.

I wear a couple different styles of running shoes, I have Adidas, Nike, and New Balance. None of which were more that $60. My Nike are the most comfortable, because they hit my arch at just the right spot, but they are very worn out and headed for the trash any day. When you try them on in tthe store, jump around in them a little. Make sure they are a comfortable fit.

I do it in the evening when my daughter has soccer practice. lately it has been nice, when I first started it was extremely HOT and humid. Just do it when you can fit it in. I am now on wk4day3, scary to move on to week 5!!!!!!!!!!!! Still not easy, but getting better. I use to look at my timer like every 30 seconds, now when I look I may have 30 seconds left to run. :)

Good luck!!

Jody
  • jessicajm
    Options
    Thank you for all your input friends!!! I am very excited to start this. I've done a little research online as far as shoes go, I'm flat-footed. I think I'll be hitting up a shoe store this weekend. =)
    Thank you so much!!!!!
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    Good luck! I did C25k years ago and became a distance runner and did a half marathon! But life got in the way and I stopped running so now I am starting C25k again tonight. It is a great program, just take your time and don't worry about how fast you go or if you have to repeat weeks. Speed will come with time, so go as slow as you need to for as long as you need to.