Overtraining? :(

Options
I'm sure this has been posted a bajillion times but I wanted to see if my symptoms describe it. I do not take rest days, I havent for 2 and a half months. I do strength training every other day along with cardio and cardio on my off days. The past week or so, I've noticed regression in strength (not going up at all in weights, not being able to do as many sets/reps) and my soreness doesn't seem to go away. I feel fatigued all day, even with proper rest (6-8 hours depending on my 3 and a half month old). I've become irritable and snap over anything. I'm taking a week off and making sure from here on out I take at least 1 rest day, but is what I'm describing overtraining?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Could be overtraining - could be not eating enough to support your training.

Check out these links - they might help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

This spreadsheet will help you get all your numbers in balance. Good luck.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert in anyway but it sounds to me like your body is trying to tell you something and you are not listening!

Your body, muscles, bones and joints need a break! They need a rest day!

I train 5 to 6 days a week, and I gain soo much from my one to two days of rest. (normally it's only 1 rest day and that is Sunday). I break my days up if i decide I need two days train 2 days then rest one, then train 3 rest one.

Just a thought.
  • JeanLCoetzee
    Options
    You are most definitely over training. One day of rest a week should be sufficient however, if you are new to exercise, especially high intensity you should actually take more rest.
    Nutrition is also very important for recovery, check your diet and eat smaller portions more regularly.
    The amount of sleep you have sounds adequate according the vanilla recommendations, but interestingly I read an article the other day that said new studies show that sporty people should have as much as 10 hours of sleep a day. I know sporty is a open ended but they referred specifically to sportsmen and individuals who exercise vigorously for more than 5 hours a week.

Hope this helps.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I would agree with the above people and say that your diet definitely needs to support your training. With that being said, your overall goal is important before deciding what changes you need to make. If you are aiming for better performance (marathon runner, Spartan, Crossfit, kick *kitten* person trying to be a better recreational athlete, etc) then you could continue to train at the pace you are going at ( I still advocate for at least one day of rest), but just add more nutritious carbs for energy throughout your day and some protein for recovery. If your goal is fat loss, I would access nutrition and the type of cardio you are doing. If your goal is muscle gain, or to "get ripped" etc, I would recommend fueling better, lifting harder and heavier only 3-4 days a week depending on how easily you gain muscle, and switching to a couple days of HIIT training for cardio on non-lifting days. Different goal = different plan. Make your plan meet your goals. :-) Good luck!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! And yes, this has helped. I am very new to everything, so I suppose I should've put that into consideration. I went from 0 physical activity to constant. I think I eat pretty well, never really feel too hungry or overly so (I know this isnt a definitive indicator I'm getting enough). I just started noticing my workouts didnt leave me feeling great and ready to go like they were. I suppose that should've been my sign to cool it for a day or so.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter if what is happening would be medically diagnosed as overtraining or not........it's pretty clear you need to take a break.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep, sounds like overtraining.

Though, "overtraining" can be somewhat misleading, as it can be mroe about insufficient sleep/nutrition than about the volume of exercise.

But yea... it sounds like you're overdoing it and your body isn't recovering enough.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Nagging pains that don't go away, general lethargy, and unexplainable irrational irritability? Congratulations. You're most women I know!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Time for a break. :flowerforyou:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Time for a break. :flowerforyou:

Its something called fatigue OP

Either over training or under eating or a combo of both .
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I would agree with the above people and say that your diet definitely needs to support your training. With that being said, your overall goal is important before deciding what changes you need to make. If you are aiming for better performance (marathon runner, Spartan, Crossfit, kick *kitten* person trying to be a better recreational athlete, etc) then you could continue to train at the pace you are going at ( I still advocate for at least one day of rest), but just add more nutritious carbs for energy throughout your day and some protein for recovery. If your goal is fat loss, I would access nutrition and the type of cardio you are doing. If your goal is muscle gain, or to "get ripped" etc, I would recommend fueling better, lifting harder and heavier only 3-4 days a week depending on how easily you gain muscle, and switching to a couple days of HIIT training for cardio on non-lifting days. Different goal = different plan. Make your plan meet your goals. :-) Good luck!

^^This

Some things I have found to aid in recovery & balance. Lots of fresh unproduced vegetables. They are mostly water based & give your body the fuel it needs to process protein for muscle/cellular recovery.

If the thought of a rest day challenges you..consider trading 1 day of traditional gym exercise for a couple hours @ the park with a little one developing functional muscle groups i.e. run/jump/stretch/laugh & play. You get a recovery based workout & ur little one gets to feel a part of. This practice has done wonders for my me both physically & emotionally.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

^^This

Some things I have found to aid in recovery & balance. Lots of fresh unproduced vegetables. They are mostly water based & give your body the fuel it needs to process protein for muscle/cellular recovery.

If the thought of a rest day challenges you..consider trading 1 day of traditional gym exercise for a couple hours @ the park with a little one developing functional muscle groups i.e. run/jump/stretch/laugh & play. You get a recovery based workout & ur little one gets to feel a part of. This practice has done wonders for my me both physically & emotionally.

Love this idea. I have a park near my house, so maybe I could do some light walking. I've gotten the mentality that I don't want to get back into the lazy rut I was in for so many years, but I need to find balance.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

^^This

Exactly. I call these my technical rest days. Lol. I do a lot of mountain biking on top of my lifting, so I NEED a rest day, but I hate them. I keep my mind busy and allow my body to rest, while still engaging in my hobby, by going out and practicing technical skills on my bike, like turns in a parking lot or bunny hopping, etc on Sundays. :-)