Still confused.

Options
OliverJackDavies
OliverJackDavies Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I've read the stickies, I've looked over but I find it hard to grasp things, but once it's explained to me I literally kick myself!

Anyway, I'm 17 and planning a new diet for next week. I am 6 FT, 127 LB, and I'd say i'm an "Ectomorph" in terms of metabolic rate. I literally use up anything and do not gain, I know there's much speculation on whether or not these exist, but i have a fast metabolism none the less.

So I've signed up to MyFitnessPal, and I've used my custom nutrition goals as i'm using the "IIFYM" calculator.

I will not be using the Myfitness exercise planner as I have my own app which I enjoy. This will purely be for calorie counting.

Nutritional Goals:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day
2,676 cal/day
Carbs / Day 401 g
Fat / Day 59 g
Protein / Day 134 g

Diet Profile
Calories Burned
From Normal Daily Activity 2,370 cal/day

Net Calories Consumed*
Your Daily Goal 2,676 cal/day

Daily Calorie Deficit -306 calories
Projected Weight Loss -0.6 lbs/week

My question is; Does this -0.6lb/week mean I will be GAINING 0.6lb a week or would I in fact be losing 0.6?

Replies

• SwellyStyles
    Options
    You'd be losing. Bro at 6 feet tall were the same height and I weigh 160. You should be hitting the gym and putting on weight. Calculate your TDEE using the IIFYM website and +10% caloric surplus for a slow gain or -10% for a defecit resulting in weight loss. Pics of how you look would be helpful for further advice.
  • OliverJackDavies
    Options
    I'm setting one as my profile picture as we speak, It's too much work transferring from iphone to laptop!
  • OliverJackDavies
    Options
    I've updated my page and been on the IIFYM

My BMR is 1640 (I generally eat more than this a day and don't gain, atm i'm eating junk food eg: Yesterday had a hotdog (not as my main meal) had 922 calories, then I had a pint of fosters, then I had some cereals when I got home (200 calories inc milk), some marshmellows and chocolate bars all easily passed 1640 and that;s what my days are like and I still lose.

Exercise level 5 times a week is 2399

I was thinking about a 2700 calorie a day diet would be sufficient
  • OliverJackDavies
    Options
    I used this calculator at the start:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Which is where I got my readings from.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Goals:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day
    2,676 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 401 g
    Fat / Day 59 g
    Protein / Day 134 g

Diet Profile
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,370 cal/day

Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 2,676 cal/day

Daily Calorie Deficit -306 calories
    Projected Weight Loss -0.6 lbs/week

My question is; Does this -0.6lb/week mean I will be GAINING 0.6lb a week or would I in fact be losing 0.6?

On paper, you'll be gaining. But some trial and error is a necessary part of getting started. Follow this approach for a month, then re-evaluate.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I've updated my page and been on the IIFYM

My BMR is 1640 (I generally eat more than this a day and don't gain, atm i'm eating junk food eg: Yesterday had a hotdog (not as my main meal) had 922 calories, then I had a pint of fosters, then I had some cereals when I got home (200 calories inc milk), some marshmellows and chocolate bars all easily passed 1640 and that;s what my days are like and I still lose.

Exercise level 5 times a week is 2399

I was thinking about a 2700 calorie a day diet would be sufficient

Eating over BMR will not guarantee weight gain. Eating over TDEE will. Make sure you understand the difference between those 2 numbers.
  • OliverJackDavies
    Options
    I understand the difference between both the numbers but I was giving both to the other poster (forgot his user). in case he wanted them.

I was just confused as the other person said I'd be losing, so this on paper as it stands will gain?

So the "weight loss a week -0.6" cancels each other out making it a positive weight gain?

EDIT: I'm not expecting it to work the first month, I just want the best chance of finding the starting position and most "accurate" way of finding my true results.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I understand the difference between both the numbers but I was giving both to the other poster (forgot his user). in case he wanted them.

I was just confused as the other person said I'd be losing, so this on paper as it stands will gain?

So the "weight loss a week -0.6" cancels each other out making it a positive weight gain?

Yes. a projected weight loss of .6lbs per week means you lose .6lbs per week. Add in the "-" and it becomes a gain of .6lbs per week. The "-" is negating the "loss" part of the projected weight loss.

This is supported by the fact that you daily calories used is 2370 and you're netting 2676. Any time you consume more than you use you'll gain.

Yep, sounds like you're at a good starting point.

• OliverJackDavies
    Options
    Another question if possible:

PROTEIN (4 CALORIES PER GRAM)
    1.00 gram per lb. of body weight
    1.15 gram per lb. of body weight
    1.25 gram per lb. of body weight
    Custom grams per lb. of bodyweight

FAT (9 CALORIES PER GRAM)
    .35 grams per lb. of body weight
    .40 grams per lb. of body weight
    .45 grams per lb. of body weight
    Custom grams per lb. of bodyweight

Which of these would be best for me?

I've choosen 1g protein/lb
    .4g fat/lb

EDIT: The best starting numbers for mass gain for someone who doesn't put on mass easily, obviously i'll change them around if they don't work but I am no expert in anyway and hoping you can give me a better starting point with these
This discussion has been closed.