Sugar

Options
RedSquirrelsNut
RedSquirrelsNut Posts: 19
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
My MFP daily goal is 24g of sugar. One banana (my breakfast) is 19g. I'm going to go over my allowance every day just in food, before I've even had my one square of dark chocolate, which I don't believe is exactly breaking the bank.

Seriously?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Many posters have commented that the MFP goals for sugar & salt are ridiculously low. I actually changed my food diary so the salt & sugar don't even show up. Put in calcium & fiber instead. I would say you should focus on just getting any sugar from healthy sources like the fruit, & limiting added/processed sugar products as much as possible. Bananas & a square of dark chocolate are both healthy choices.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The MFP sugar goal is based on the recommendations for added sugar, not natural sugar. There are no recognized standards for natural sugar. However, the diary does not distinguish between natural and added sugar, so if you eat your recommended daily fruit, you will be over. Don't worry about it unless you have a medical need. I don't track sugar (and many on here do not as well).
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment of if you don't have a medical condition, don't worry about it.
  • RedSquirrelsNut
    Options
    Thank you. I had some mini dark chocolate mint thins after dinner yesterday. My only treat all day. When I went to add them to my first day's food diary, I nearly fell off my chair. I thought I'd blown my diet before I'd even started, and I thought I was doing so well, too!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The MFP sugar goal is based on the recommendations for added sugar, not natural sugar. There are no recognized standards for natural sugar. However, the diary does not distinguish between natural and added sugar, so if you eat your recommended daily fruit, you will be over. Don't worry about it unless you have a medical need. I don't track sugar (and many on here do not as well).

^ This is well put. I don't track sugar either, and while I do enjoy my ice cream, I do not overindulge and find there to be no reason to track sugar separately from carbohydrates in general.
  • Toofatforshirts
    Toofatforshirts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar everyday. I have no clue of how to avoid this?
  • RedSquirrelsNut
    Options
    No medical need, although I'm not good with cane sugar or synthetic sweeteners. I don't use sugar in cooking at all, only agave nectar. My only weakness is dark chocolate.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for explaining.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Well -- if you're trying not to go over, the best way would be to look at the foods that contain the most sugar in your day, and eat less of them. :wink: If you'll excuse the gentle teasing.

But for the most part, if your calories are at where they should be, and you're losing weight as you think you should be, then you don't have much to worry about if you're not diabetic or prediabetic.
  • valospock
    Options
    Thanks for the uplifting! I just started today, and with my breakfast only, I was double my sugar limit! I started to freak out thinking there was no way to end the sugar completely.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Same here. My goal is 28. 2 or 3 Dates have 27. Craisins, Dates and Almonds were a go to snack. Once I got on this site, it scared me. Greek Non-Fat Yogurt with Fruit has 18g, and that with a couple of tablespoons of Granola was my go to breakfast after going to the gym.
  • RedSquirrelsNut
    Options
    LOL Mrmagee3.
    Sugars occurring naturally in fruits and whole foods are natural and fine, as long as your body can metabolise them. Processed sugar is not. If the counter on this site can't tell the difference, as long as the calories are right, there's no point in looking at the sugar part. If the sugar AND the calories are way over, that's a different matter.

That's a bit scary for newbies though.
This discussion has been closed.