• MariaAkeroyd
    MariaAkeroyd Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    48.... add me if you like.
    Cheers!
  • JAyers27
    JAyers27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just sent you a friend request. I'm 44 and mom of 3 boys. Trying MFP this time with the support group aspect to see if that will help / encourage me. Would love to be a motivation pal!
  • jeannie55
    jeannie55 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    45 and just started, instead of a couch potato I am an office chair potato
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    41 and getting started on a better path to feeling better/aging better! Feel free to add me....could use some support for this lifestyle change..so anyone can feel free to ad me!
  • tbreck1
    Options
    Hi, this sounds like a good group, I just started this week and I don't know to even send a friend request, I'll look around. I also put in two calories a week, and can't eat breakfast if I want a decent dinner. Maybe I need to change that.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    Sending you a request now :smile:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Im 42 and sticking to 1200cals a day also. I have another 54lbs to go. Started last week and lost 5lb on my 1st week following 1200 cals a day and gym 5 times a week for an hour along with an hour step aerobics class. I have been slightly over 1200 per day but seems to work with the exercise im putting in. Please feel free to add me too :)

The 1200 calories may work now while you have a lot to lose, but if you keep eating that little, you WILL hit a plateau. Then comes the inevitable "why am I not losing????" post and having to reset your mindset about eating. Do yourself a favor. Start eating your exercise calories back (most of them, at least), never net less than 1200 and get used to that. THAT is how you will be successful long term.
  • carmenmiranda1
    carmenmiranda1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    45 here, on my third week so far. Feel free to add me, one and all!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calories may work now while you have a lot to lose, but if you keep eating that little, you WILL hit a plateau. Then comes the inevitable "why am I not losing????" post and having to reset your mindset about eating. Do yourself a favor. Start eating your exercise calories back (most of them, at least), never net less than 1200 and get used to that. THAT is how you will be successful long term.

I don't really agree with this statement. I've been following 1200 calories as a guideline for 5 months and I haven't plateaued yet. Now that being said, what you(the OP) should be prepared for are weeks where you may not lose. Lets face it, us women in our 40's are going through some wacky hormone changes and your water retention can make a substantial difference on weigh in days. It takes 3500 calories to equal a pound, so once you wrap you head around that and you take a look at your diary you'll know that the pound or two that you're up isn't real. If you don't drop for a couple of weeks, just trust that you're fighting the good fight and it will come off in week three. I find that I can go for a couple of weeks without a loss, but then all of a sudden I start dropping a pound and a half, two pounds a week. I read on another topic that weight loss isn't linear and that's so true.

The other thing I'd like to say about the 1200 calorie setting is that as mentioned above, it's a guideline for me. I'm trying to create a balance in life where I can still find happiness in having the foods I love. How I've done that was to take a look at my lifestyle and decide which things about me are reasonable to change and which are not. I decided that having drinks with my husband on a Saturday night, having pizza and wings once and a while, enjoying the odd onion ring from time to time were all things that I believe will always be a part of my life so I make room for these things in my diary. As I mentioned in my previous post, I sometimes eat below the 1200 during the week so I have plenty of room to enjoy life. I never really feel like I'm sacrificing.

Good luck with your weight loss journey, and please feel free to write me directly if you need support.
  • oawalden
    Options
    Hi, I'm 45. I'm 5'4" and started at 212 lbs. I'm down 19 pounds to 193 and the difference in how I feel is crazy. I don't see the difference when I look in the mirror, but my thighs don't rub together now when I walk and all my jeans have wiggle room now. :) I want to get down to 145 as my long-term goal. My short-term goal is to lose 1 pounds a week and I eat my calories as well. I have mine set on "custom" and shoot for 1,340 calories a day. When I eat anything below that, I don't lose anything because it's too low for my body. You should go on-line and look up "calculating my BMR". It will help you know the number your body needs to function each day at your sedentary lifestyle (I am a transcriptionist so I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day). Mine was somewhere in the range of 1,900 then I subtract 500 for a 3,500 calorie a week total loss (1 pound). Everybody's body is different, you gotta do what works for you. This is the only thing that works for me. WW didn't work for me, too restrictive. Jillian Michaels worked some, but it was too expensive for me. MFP is free and it syncs with my Body Media armband (which is AWESOME). Feel free to add me. All my friends left me to do WW instead. They did better on that, I didn't. I'm married, a mom, and a full-time career. It's a balance act for a more healthy lifestyle. I eat what I want, but I track EVERYTHING.
  • oawalden
    Options
    I agree that 1,200 calories is too little, at least for me it is. Check out Fat2Fit's website and read what they have to say...it makes total sense to me. :)
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im 42 and sticking to 1200cals a day also. I have another 54lbs to go. Started last week and lost 5lb on my 1st week following 1200 cals a day and gym 5 times a week for an hour along with an hour step aerobics class. I have been slightly over 1200 per day but seems to work with the exercise im putting in. Please feel free to add me too :)

Thanks for the advice. On reaading through different posts I hear this a lot, I am going to start eating a few hundred extra calories a day from my exercise bank and see how I go. I dont want to do this as a quick fix and then give up so im quite happy to learn to go steady and keep it off at the end!!

Cheers.
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 in a few months. Shhhh, don't tell my kids, they don't know my real age ;) I'm also new here.
  • misski1969
    Options
    I am not sure how to send friend requests, but I would be happy to help you on your journey. I know it is good to have a support system when trying to lose weight. I know that using this app assisted me greatly in my weight loss a few years back, however I lost my focus due to extreme stress and all my progress was lost...

I am limiting my calories to 1750 as my job is rather labor intensive and doing 60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. I will add weight workouts next month.

my username is misski1969 if you know how to send friend requests.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    <--- is selling 40-something fake ID's. Mine says I'm over 40. Add me if you want to .

Im almost 40, does that count??? LOL

No! Come back after your birthday.
    [\quote]
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 in a few months. Shhhh, don't tell my kids, they don't know my real age ;) I'm also new here.
  • GeekMeister
    GeekMeister Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    43 here, please feel free to add me as well. I'm running regularly 4-5 times a week, walking with my wife daily and am low carb'ing. It seems to be working pretty well for me...probably not for everyone. I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired! I haven't felt this good in years. Would love to have other friends to help motivate and stay motivated.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 43 (almost 44). I've lost 63lbs and have 54 more that I want to lose to hit my goal weight. I know a lot of people are suggesting you eat more than 1200 calories, and maybe you need to, but the most important thing you can do is find out what works for you. Play with the calculators, listen to the advice, apply it to your body and your situation, and then find out what works for you. Good luck to you!
  • athene_circe
    athene_circe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and currently MFP shows my goal at 1260 cal/day to lose one pound a week. I have my activity level set to sedentary because I have a desk job. I add in any walking or yoga (I do both almost every day) and eat back my exercise calories so it rarely turns out to be that few calories that I take in. If that's the way you are handling it too, I don't think it's a problem. I eat more if I feel hungry and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. I have tons of energy!

At first when I was over 200 pounds I was closer to 1460 cal/day and, even though MFP said 1 pound, I lost 2 pounds every week. Now that I'm closer to my goal I'm only losing 1 pound per week,

I'd say if you feel good you're doing okay - you're the one who knows best how you feel. :smile: