Dried Fruit

Options
I love dried fruit, but it's all so high in sugar grams and Calories. Has anyone found a good brand that is low in calories? (just hoping)

Thanks,

Replies

• tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not really... I like the Ocean Spray Craisins. Only 130 calories per 1/3 cup.

I think most dried fruits have some sort of sugar added. My in-laws have a food dehydrator, so I am able to make my own if I want to. Might be a good investment!
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    Brothers All Natural fruit crisps are freeze dried and yummy! And pretty low cal for a whole bag. I get them in bulk boxes at costco
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    actually Sun Ripe Fruit Crisps have NO added sugar or anything.. just apples and a bit of cinnamon. They are 100 calories for 1 cup, and are ADDICTING!!!!
    I added it to the food system on here if you want to look it up.
    hope this helps!
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sun Rype Fruit to Go - Apple Peach Crisps is the exact name!
    there is also the apple cinnamon ones too.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit does not equal low sugar. My wife dries apples every year. She cuts one apple into about 10 slices. Then dries them. They fit in your hand. When I wasn't watching my weight, I would eat a handful. Now that I watch my weight, I grabbed a handful, and had 2-3 apples worth. That means I have the sugar of 3 apples. You are concentrating the sugar and taking the water away.

One recipe I love with dried fruit is Elllie Krieger's energy bars on the food network webpage. They only have 107 calories. I use 1 1/2 cups of costco's dried mangos and berries instead of her dried fruits. Knowing that these are healthy, and their calorie count, I take them on my bike rides. I love the dried fruit taste.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I like trader Joes apple rings. Apples, even dried have pectin, and that serves as an appetite suppressant. Less sweet then raisons.
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    Sun Maid Mediterranean Apricots and Sun Maid California Calimyrna Figs. Yes, they have natural sugars, but they are very tasty and curb my urge for sweets. Plus, they are high in Potassium, which is important as well. Just make sure you watch the portion sizes!
  • Banner1375
    Banner1375 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm really glad I asked. I didn't think I would get so many good answers. I'm going to check all of these out. Thanks.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the pre-packaged dried fruit has any added sugars, but I dry my own fruit. I got a dehydrator (around $30-$50 depending on which one you get) and use it to dry out my own fruit and make my own 95%lean beef jerky with spices from the spice rack mixed in to the meat. It works out wonderfully. You just have to be patient....the higher the water content, the longer it takes. Bananas take about 7 or 8 hours.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    actually Sun Ripe Fruit Crisps have NO added sugar or anything.. just apples and a bit of cinnamon. They are 100 calories for 1 cup, and are ADDICTING!!!!
    I added it to the food system on here if you want to look it up.
    hope this helps!

YES! These are delicious and sooo lo cal only 40 calories per package! Apple-Berry is my fav but I keep forgetting to buy them. Got a bunch of free samples at The Ex in 2009.

http://www.sunrype.com/viewproduct.php?line=20
  • Banner1375
    Banner1375 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I bought the Brothers All Natural fruit crisps at Cosco today and I love them. They have a great tast and are low in sugar grams. Thanks so much for the info.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    bump
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Well I bought the Brothers All Natural fruit crisps at Cosco today and I love them. They have a great tast and are low in sugar grams. Thanks so much for the info.

Stopped at Costco to see low calorie fruit crisps. Cost $14 for 7oz. That means they are over $30 a pound. And, one serving is 1/10 of that, so .7 oz. Am I missing something here? That means the packaging weighs more than the fruit, and you are eating about 1/2 a dried apple. It is a lot cheaper to buy in bulk or something else and re-use little zip-locks to get a calorie count you can use.